AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there such a thing as a good omnidirectional antenna for attic or exterior mounting? I live in the middle of several markets and can get signal from each. A rotator is not practical as the crappy software in the Hitachi XWX HDTV tuner will not let you manually add channels, you need to do a full system scan. Thus, a good omni UHF antenna is likely my best bet.

Thanks.

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
Omni-directional antennas are poor performers for digital TV because it aggravates multipath effects. This will result in dropouts and/or pixelation - its even worse in an attic. You need a high gain directional antenna for good HDTV reception. You can try combining two antennas pointing in two different directions.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Don Berg has said it right. I have found you must 'zero' in on UHF-digital stations. You must have a highly directional antenna with a rotator if you want the very best 99.9 percent reception. A few degrees off target can mean dropouts and blocking. and never worry about having too much gain..it seldom ever happens.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks All,

That is pretty much what I expected to hear.

The good news is that Hitachi actually called me today. They will be providing a software upgrade in the next 60 days so that you can manually add channels. Thus, a rotator becomes viable.

Regards.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.