AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
There's a place that has it for $7,899 with free ground shipping. The price is so absurdly low (next best around $8600) that I wonder where the catch is. The dealer gets a 5-star rating from Yahoo. Go to shopping.yahoo.com and put the model number in the search box. It will come up.

Edit: Nix what I just said. It was too good to be true. That price is for the

TH-50PHD3U. Best yahoo dealer price on the unit you are looking for is $8800.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I guess a relevant question would be are you sure you want the more expensive consumer model (PT-50PD3-P) instead of the cheaper commercial/industrial model (TH-50PHD3U)?

This link is a panny 42" faq but the differences between industrial and consumer models should apply to the 50" also.
http://www.creath.net/plasma/faq.html

If you want to know the difference between FCC class A and B there have been numerous posts on these. You could search with "FCC class A" and you should find most of them.

·
Registered
51 Posts
This could be the same one Davidw was talking about, however, it is still listed. Caveat Emptor...I don't know what their reputation is.

Via my favorite price search enging: PriceWatch.com, I found that OurStore.com is selling the TH-50PHD3U for only $7899 including free ground shipping.

Anyone ever bought from them?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just purchased and received a Panasonic TH-50PHD3U from 1800-PLASMAS for $7699 plus $175 shipment.

Ask for Lisa she very nice and efficient.

Franz.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would be very cautious in shopping for the 50" Panasonic panels based on price alone. My 3-week-old panel failed (stone dead, see my other post about this) and the saving grace is I bought from a reputable dealer who's been ultra-responsive in fixing the problem (he's having a new panel shipped to me, will let me confirm operation, and then use the packaging to ship the old panel back).

If you check my other thread, you'll find at least 2 others that had similiar failures and a need to replace their units. I paid a few hundred $$$ more than I could have from the lowest price advertised, and at this point, I think that was a wise decision.

Moral: make very, very certain you're buying from an authorized dealer and that they'll work with you to both honor the Panasonic factory warranty and the "initial failure" warranty the Panasonic also offers. I would ask for references if buying from an unknown dealer, including the name of the distributor that they use and if they've ever had a claim under the "initial failure" policy.

Joe M.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
IMHO Anyone I give $9,000 to had better be beyond reproach. OK, maybe that's a little tough but its $9,000 think about it real hard. Dell maybe but 1800heretodaygonetomorrow no thank you.

·
Registered
860 Posts
These concerns are of course valid. However, the price difference isn't "a few hundred" bucks between B&M (even a sale price) and an online vendor. On a 50", it is more like $3,000-$7,000. That creates a very serious dilemma for the conscientious buyer. When I buy plasma, it will be online, but only after I have thoroughly researched a vender. Fortunately, there are several websites that have not only vender ratings, but customer reports. You just have to look around.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i got my 50 phd3u from avdeals.com in january. alan was great in pricing and follow-up. i received a fresh unit on time as promised. his current price is $8149. incl shipping. i also bought a couple of other items with good results.

·
Registered
51 Posts
vellanr-

There are many more of us out there with the same dilemma. Please keep us posted with your purchase decision. Good luck and good viewing! -b

·
Registered
88 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by davidw
However, the price difference isn't "a few hundred" bucks between B&M (even a sale price) and an online vendor. On a 50", it is more like $3,000-$7,000.
I'm not talking about brick & mortar vendors; I bought from an Internet vendor and the price difference was a "few hundred" (I paid less than $8000 for the Panny 50"). There are extremely reliable internet dealers with outstanding references. e-mail me if you want a recommendation for the dealer I've dealt with; they've been exceptional in my unfortunate circumstance of a failed display.

Joe M.
[email protected]

·
Registered
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by plasmaprincess
I

If they say contact the service center BEEEEEP wrong answer

If they say contact the manufactuar BEEEEP wrong answer

If they say contact the distributor BEEEEP another wrong answer and they are the weakest link..

Stay tuned for the answer..most of you will be able to figure it out.
The answer is YOUR DEALER

Now after that lesson in rocket science, here is what you really need to know.

The main question you need to ask is: "Where is the Plasma coming from"

Top 2 answers should be Electrograph and ActiveLight. No reputable dealer would keep this a secret because the above mentioned distributors cannot sell to the enduser.

If you bought a Plasma from Dell, it never came from Dell, it came straight from Electrograph's warehouse.

If you bought a Plasma from 1-800-heretoday-gonetommorow, it never came from their office, it came from Electrograph, maybe Active Light.

Point is whether Dell Headquarters is blown to kingdom come, or 1-800*** lives up to the last part of their name, you are still safe. as long as it came from on of these two places. You would still be able to call Electrograph (who has been around way longer than Dell) give them a Serial # and they could completley handle warranty and technical issues.

Finding out what type of relationship a Dealer has with either of these distributing giants will also give you insight. Dealers that have good relationships with distributors can get things done quickly.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It sounds to me like PlasmaPrincess is just trying to say, find a dealer who is willing to go the extra yard and actually offer customer assistance instead of just passing the buck to the distributor or manufacturer. Isn't that the concern of buying online? Yea, I got a great price but where is the service after the sale?

David, do I sense a little internet dealer to internet dealer hostility between PlasmaTek and Dell and/or 1800Plasmas? I've seen some pretty good comments about Dell and it looks like 1800Plasmas is getting some good customer comments here too.

Have a great evening all.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sodo Mojo

David, do I sense a little internet dealer to internet dealer hostility between PlasmaTek and Dell and/or 1800Plasmas? I've seen some pretty good comments about Dell and it looks like 1800Plasmas is getting some good customer comments here too.

Have a great evening all.
In David's defense - Using the search function shows your statistical sample to be ONE.

I'm not affiliated with any of the above parties

Bruce

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I am somewhat sympathetic to the online dealers who are annoyed by Dell's entry into this market. Dell was able to use its bigness to immediately undercut people. That's gotta suck for the small businessman.

It's capitalism, but still annoying. Especially because Dell does a pretty credible job of after-sale support. I got two different units and was able to send both back at no cost to me when it was determined both had the VGA bug.

Mark

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidKyle
The main question you need to ask is: "Where is the Plasma coming from".

Top 2 answers should be Electrograph and ActiveLight. No reputable dealer would keep this a secret because the above mentioned distributors cannot sell to the enduser.

If you bought a Plasma from Dell, it never came from Dell, it came straight from Electrograph's warehouse.

If you bought a Plasma from 1-800-heretoday-gonetommorow, it never came from their office, it came from Electrograph, maybe Active Light.

Point is whether Dell Headquarters is blown to kingdom come, or 1-800*** lives up to the last part of their name, you are still safe. as long as it came from on of these two places. You would still be able to call Electrograph (who has been around way longer than Dell) give them a Serial # and they could completley handle warranty and technical issues.

Finding out what type of relationship a Dealer has with either of these distributing giants will also give you insight. Dealers that have good relationships with distributors can get things done quickly.
David:

You are certainly right about Electrograph and Activelite being two of the large distributors. But you should not suggest that they are the only ones/way to do business.

Many dealers buy direct from the manufacturer. And there are some other very good distributors for plasma.

As for a consumer needing to call the distributor if the dealers goes out of business, they should just be able to call the manufacturer as well. It seems a little bit silly to argue that the consumer doesn't need to worry as long as the dealer is purchasing through a certain distributor - the distributor is just going to do the same thing as the manufacturer and recommend the client to a service tech in their area. The consumer should care about the dealer they are getting it from and may want to ask the manufacturer if there is anything he/she can do to make sure they are receiving a legitimate warranty. As long as they are receiving legitimate product with a full warranty, I am not sure why the consumer should give a hoot what channel their dealer purchases from (as long as it is a legit channel).

Also, do you know for a FACT that Dell purchases through Electrograph. You may very well be right, but manufacturers like Dell usually go direct with their buying power.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
QQQ-

Many members here have already reported receiving Dell orders shipped from Electrograph (It's all over the boxes).

Regards, Bruce

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by QQQ

Deep Thoughts and Otherwise

1. What is the point of posting a message telling someone "you have a PM" when the PM is clearly going to reach them before they see the post? Isn't that like leaving someone a voice mail message and then sending them a letter saying "I left you a voice mail".
Not hugely important but I just wanted to say that I often browse without logging in. When I want to post, I am prompted to log in. However, before I do log in I may come across a message in the forum from someone that says that I have a PM which would be the first instance that I knew about it. This assumes that I browse this forum before I check my email account registered with avsforum which is true. My corporate email acocunt is different and I do check that regularly.

So to all others; please don't stop posting "you have a PM" because it is actually useful.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.