AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I set up a HTPC in my theater and will use that for all of my movies including 3D. I dont have so much any questions but I am using windows media center as the layout.


I would like a streamer with a similar look/format as WMC with the ability to play all of my bluray rips in 1:1 either movie only or full menu rips. I also want to start ripping my tv to my server as well so I would like a streamer that can organize and play my recorded tv. I plan on getting the 4tuner cable card for my HTPC so I am hoping I can stream this stuff to my living room


I was initially going to use the media extender in the xbox but I am told that it will not play the bluray rips I have. I initially was under the impression that it would but it would not play them in full resolution which wasnt a big deal to me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.


I am thinking I will need to put a streamer in the living room to play my media there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adammb /forum/post/19611175


So I set up a HTPC in my theater and will use that for all of my movies including 3D. I dont have so much any questions but I am using windows media center as the layout.


I would like a streamer with a similar look/format as WMC with the ability to play all of my bluray rips in 1:1 either movie only or full menu rips. I also want to start ripping my tv to my server as well so I would like a streamer that can organize and play my recorded tv. I plan on getting the 4tuner cable card for my HTPC so I am hoping I can stream this stuff to my living room


I was initially going to use the media extender in the xbox but I am told that it will not play the bluray rips I have. I initially was under the impression that it would but it would not play them in full resolution which wasnt a big deal to me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.


I am thinking I will need to put a streamer in the living room to play my media there.

I had similar requirements. I use a 2 box solution. My media server is a pc with the tuner mechanisms, hard drive arrays, ripping software and metadata creation software in one box and Dune streamers attached to my display/audio preamp devices. I do not have the need to stream live tv to my display devices and don't know if that is what you need. If not, this is the best solution that I have found.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which Dune player are you using?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,117 Posts
I personally have 1 dune 3 prime and 1 dune 3 base
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,822 Posts
There is no media player that has a WMC like interface that isn't an HTPC. The closest thing to an HTPC experience without an HTPC will be getting a SageTV HD300. You will want to run it in extender mode which lets you use the same exact UI as the SageTV Media Center software.

My review of the HD300 here

Sage MyMovies guide here


With SageTV you will not get full BR Menus, only the main movie (not sure if that matters to you). My only other gripe with SageTV 7 is there is no true UI for individual archived tv show episodes that I know of. At some point there will be support, but this is important for me (you can still navigate to your TV Show episodes but not via a user friendly jukebox like with Media Browser, XBMC, etc...)


Aside from the HD300 I would also recommend either the Dune Players or the PCH players. I have the Dune BD Prime and use Zappiti as my movie/tv show jukebox. For the PCH I have the C200 and A200 , and use YAMJ + Aeon as my movie/tv show jukebox. The Dunes and the PCH C200 will give you full BR Menus, whereas the A200/210 will give you BDLite (similar to the HD300)


I do also have HTPCs in my house that I use for playback, using WMC + MediaBrowser as my UI of choice.


All my media is stored on my WHS (made up mostly of BluRay/DVD Rips and archived tv episodes).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am ok with losing the BD menus but if it is a full disk rip will it just skip the menu and go to the main movie. If that is the case I am ok with that and am leaning towards the PCH A210. Then I should be able to use the Yamj for the Tv show and movies in my living room and then WMC for the theater. Does that sound right?


Would you recommend the Dune over the PCH?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adammb /forum/post/19613313


I am ok with losing the BD menus but if it is a full disk rip will it just skip the menu and go to the main movie. If that is the case I am ok with that and am leaning towards the PCH A210. Then I should be able to use the Yamj for the Tv show and movies in my living room and then WMC for the theater. Does that sound right?


Would you recommend the Dune over the PCH?

Correct, with BDLite you would just get the main movie to play even if it is the full disk. Your setup sounds fine and similar to what I have (My HTPC running WMC+MediaBrowser in my main room, PCH in the playroom, and Dune in the bedroom).


I would say at this point Dune and PCH are pretty much on equal footing. PCH undoubtedly fumbled when they first released the C200 and A200, but the current fw has fixed the major issues. The Dunes are a little more expensive but also have a more A/V look to them as well as some extra features that may/may not be important (full bd menus / 7.1 analog outputs). The one area I like with the Dune is I do prefer using Zappiti instead of YAMJ for the PCH. The PCH I find has a bigger/more active community
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does the TV shows feature work well with the PCH? I am hoping to eliminate the Directv receivers I have and use the HTPC to record all my shows. Is there an option on these to watch the ripped shows that looks nice and easy to navigate? I was really hoping to use WMC upstairs for that sole reason but cannot easily fit a HTPC upstairs to do so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For what I'm doing would I need to get the A210 or would the A200 work just as well. It would cost less and I could get it in 2 days
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adammb /forum/post/19613889


For what I'm doing would I need to get the A210 or would the A200 work just as well. It would cost less and I could get it in 2 days

I personally would recommend the A210. The case/fan of the A200 is crap (I replaced the case when I got it). It is worth the extra $20 for the A210. Amazon is actually selling the A200 for $165, but I still think it is worth getting the better case and no fan with the A210
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are they basically the same thing besides that? I wont really even see it so that does not bug me and unless the fan is super loud I wont hear it either. Plus I'm a huge Amazon fan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adammb /forum/post/19614077


Are they basically the same thing besides that? I wont really even see it so that does not bug me and unless the fan is super loud I wont hear it either. Plus I'm a huge Amazon fan

Exact same aside from case/fan:


Also, I think Syabas has mentioned they may make available the A210 case so you can mod the A200 if you want. The A200 price on Amazon is pretty sweet
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top