AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have an extensive collection of DVD's that I have been purchasing over the years. I have my HTPC set up and I'm using Windows Media Center to play my movies, pics, etc.

I've been using this program called Handbrake for PC to rip my DVDs and put them in .AVI format so windows media center can pay them. I was wondering what other options are out there to do this? I mainly want to have a good quality picture. This program handbrake is compressing each movie to about 1GB to 1.5GB in size and the quality is good. But I'm wondering if there is anything better out there to do this. Any suggestions? How are you guys storing your DVD on your HTPC?

Thanks

--Olisito

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
dvd fab ( free)

use media browser if you want to access the ripped folder without hacking and have it look waaaay prettier.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olisito /forum/post/17050109

Hello all,

I have an extensive collection of DVD's that I have been purchasing over the years. I have my HTPC set up and I'm using Windows Media Center to play my movies, pics, etc.

I've been using this program called Handbrake for PC to rip my DVDs and put them in .AVI format so windows media center can pay them. I was wondering what other options are out there to do this? I mainly want to have a good quality picture. This program handbrake is compressing each movie to about 1GB to 1.5GB in size and the quality is good. But I'm wondering if there is anything better out there to do this. Any suggestions? How are you guys storing your DVD on your HTPC?

Thanks

--Olisito

I use AnyDVD HD "copy to hard disk" option and back up my DVD and BDs' ISO to my server. No compression at all, 1 to 1 copy.

·
Registered
764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olisito /forum/post/17050109

Hello all,

Thanks

--Olisito

I use AnyDVD HD and DVDfab HD Decrypter for everything, but I only do standard DVDs.

BT

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use x264 with quantizer at 18 and ref at 6 to re-encode my DVDs into MKV files. They lose no quality and end up way smaller in the end. It's more work than a direct rip, but if you rip tons of 6-8 GB DVD's straight onto your hard drive it will fill up faster than you think.

·
Registered
701 Posts
AnyDVD HD and DVDShrink here, I don't actually use DVD Shrink for compression, but to pull the audio_ts and video_ts folders and remove preview, special features and menus out, I use the iTunes preview plugin for previews I want to see and Media Browser for movie selection.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I am using anydvd-hd now, but I would like to omit un wanted languages and subtitles ect. to uses less drive space. All I want is the movie. BluRay takes up 20 to 50gigs and that eats up hard drive space. 3 tb seamed like a lot when I started but its not. Would DVD shrink work with bluray and hddvd?

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I was actually doing some ripping yesterday. Mostly CD's to FLAC but then I downloaded AnydvdHD and gave it a try on both a DVD and a BR. The DVD was fine and went fast but still have the Warnings and Trailers even though I selected in the setup menus not to rip them. The BR was taking forever and I guess it was also ripping all of the extra stuff so I stopped. I should have started it up again today before I left for work and let it run. I'll give it another go tonight.

I downloaded the newest MakeMKV beta and ripped 300 but there was no video, just audio.
But it was faster than AnyDVDHD because I unchecked all of the extra stuff. I have tried DVDShrink and also use DVD Decryptor too.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
anydvd will only rip the whole disc, otherwise there woudn't be much need for clonedvd. the settings you are talking about are for playback.

use dvdshrink in conjunction with anydvd or dvd fab to rip just the move.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious /forum/post/17052867

Is the convenience of not having to put the disc in worth the space cost? My wife and I have over 200 DVDs and aside from the time to rip them all, they would take up at least 1.2TB of space.

you obviously don't have kids.

only you can decide if the effort/time/cost/whatever is worth it to you. instant access to any movie is pretty sweet. as is never seeing a trailer, fbi warning or dvd menu.

for me, I'd prefer to never see a disc again.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I don't have a big movie collection and my music collection has shrunk too. But I'm liking the idea of a media server to work along with my HTPC more and more. I like the folder structure but I need to figure out how to remove the extra junk correctly. I'm use to ripping and playing .vobs but that are some disc with very slick menu interfaces and I love to see them.

Instant access is great and I don't need a huge server to start with. I said I wasn't going to build another PC this year but I think I'm going to end up doing it anyway. But I need to get a new receiver and speakers first. This TV speak sound is killing me.

I figure about 4-6tb to start? That would be for movies and music (ripped in FLAC). I use PDVD so .iso are out and I don't know how to mount them anyway.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts