AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to "deal with" a PS3 freezing? When mine freezes, the power button doesn't seem to work, so I guess it comes down to either unplugging or turning off the main power switch.

Which option is safer???

Thanks

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I do the switchy-switch on the back. I have no idea which of those is actually "safer." They both seem like somewhat risky last-resorts.

I have found that holding the power button until it beeps after freezing often does shut down the PS3.....eventually, if you wait long enough.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
could you explain exactly what you were doing when it froze? i never had my 40gb PS3 freeze from gameplay or at the XMB. Only time mine ever froze was from using the web browser..but ever since the recent firmware updates it hasn't froze since.

Typically when mine ever froze from using the web browser i just simply held the power button on the front of the console in until it beeps then it shutdown. i'd wait about 15-45 seconds before turning it on again, when i did, it works fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's the 80gb one that comes w/ the MGS game...just got it last night, so I was putting it through a lot of "stress" you could say (getting a keyboard and headset paired up with it, controllers hooked up, etc, etc.)

I think it happened twice while I was web-browsing, once right after I got done importing a burned CD, and once just out of the blue while I was in the XMB menu.

So just holding the button down long enough should eventually do the trick?

How long??

thanks

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I've had my 80gb freeze during Bad Company online matches, and once I fell asleep watching a movie off the HDD and when I woke up the screen was all scrambled. I thought maybe it was just the last few frames of the movie file, but the PS3 was frozen and once I turned it off and back on to check the end of the video, there was no scrambling. Still don't really know what happened there.

Holding down the button until the lights start blinking (no need to keep holding it after that) when frozen usually results in a shutdown about 30 seconds later. There have been a few cases where this didn't work, though. You'll also usually need to plug your controller into a USB port to get it to pair back up to the console. Don't ask me why, I just stick games in the slot and push buttons until noises happen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
guess I just got a bit impatient with holding down the button.

thanks everyone...I hope to stay mostly "freeze free" from here on out!

·
Registered
217 Posts
If at all possible you'll want to go the reset on the front of the console. If that doesn't work the power switch in the back should be the last resort. I believe alot of the HDD errors people are getting is when the PS3 is improperly shut down from the back while the HDD is still writing.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
This happened to me several times w/ a used Devil May Cry 4. My screen would lock up, hit the PS button just made everything go black, and the power button on the front was useless. I too ended up haveing to hit the power button on the back.

I eventually found ejecting the disc allowed me to turn it off w/ the power button on the front.

It was then I realized my disc was covered in smudges. Wiped it clean and haven't had a freeze since.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
I've had freeze ups now and again, I only do the front power button. Once that is shut down and I get the red light, I flip the switch on the back, count to 5 and the flip and power up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts