AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have XP installed. But there's something about that doesn't seem right. It seems a little sluggish. Zoom Player audio skips every now and then. Although, the video is rock solid. I couldn't say that when I had 98 installed. 98 seemed a little noisy. Now, the only thing that bothers me is the audio skipping in Zoom player. I want to continue using Zoom Player because of the ATI filters which I think look superior. It happens on almost every DVD. Sometimes pausing and un-pausing fixes it but not all the time. PowerDVD plays audio just fine. Everytime. I tested it on a separate pc with DVD 6x and 98 and it plays just fine. So, does that mean I should try Windows 98 or ME? or stick it out and continue tweaking?

Also, I will be getting the Delta 410 card in a week. Should I stil stay with XP even though I hear some conflicts witih the card? HELP!

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to mention what I have:

Intel MB with 1Ghz

ATI AIW 7500 using DVI

SB Live! using SPDIF out

XP Pro

Zoom Player 2.6

PowerDVD XP

Samsung SD-616 16x DVD-Rom

SE 12sf

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doesn't anyone have an opinion? I'm going to test 98se for the heck of it anyway. I really don't think it's my DVD-rom. I've read so many good things about it. Although, I'm thinkg about that program from Nero to slow down the drive.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I went from a PIII 800 Mhz with PowerDVD and ATI 7200 and Win ME to a P4 1.5 Ghz with PowerDVD and XP Pro. I would see stutters very occasionally on the ME, but so far (1 week - watching DVDs just about every night) have not had any stuttering. That's kind of apples and oranges, but I haven't seen any of the PowerDVD crashes I used to get on ME.

I was not quick to upgrade to XP, but so far I really like it. Boots up fast and seems very robust.

My equip:

Studio Experience SE13-HD (SMARTened), ceiling mount, 12.5' from lens to screen

DIY painted wall screen, Behr Antique Pewter, 103"x60" (10' diagonal, although with full lens zoom in, I've got about a 3" black border on a 16x9 picture)

Directron 7109 Charcoal Black ATX case

Zalman CNPS6500A-CU copper "Flower" CPU cooler

Zalman noiseless 300w power supply

Intel D850GBC socket 423 motherboard, BIOS GB8501A.86A.0078.P18

P4 1.5 GHz processor

512M Rambus RIMM RAM memory

Toshiba M1612 black DVD

Teac black 1.44M floppy

Seagate ST380021A 80GB ATA-100 7200 rpm hard drive

Quiet Panaflo 60mm case fan

Silitek Airboard SK-7100 IR keyboard, driver v4.1.0

Keyspan UIA-11 IR remote control, driver v2.0.5

Windows XP Pro operating system

Radeon 7200 6.13.10.6071 drivers, resolution:1360x768

PowerStrip v3.12, build 245

PowerDVD XP v4.0

M-Audio 2496, driver 5.10.0.5026 (not digitally signed), SP/DIF connected to amp

Denon 3802 Receiver

Carver 5.1 speakers

Sony DP-IF5100 IR headphones, optical connection to amp for virtual DD and DTS

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
lsdavinci, what audio filters are you using? The Cinemaster's leave a little to be desired. WinDVD audio filters seem to be the most stable. I've had some problems with both Cinemaster and PowerDVD audio filters.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lsdavinci
Karnis

what did you mean by "interlaced resolutions for the video overlay".
Many HDTV users prefer to run interlaced resolutions....1920x1080i, 1440x960i, etc to get more lines of vertical resolutions since most consumer HDTVs cannot run progressive scan rez higher than 540p. Only a select few driver sets under Win98/ME, 7075, 7089, 7093 to name a few, allow the user to correct run interlaced rez for the video overlay that work properly. Typically most other OS drivers will not display the overlay correctly with interlaced rez, resulting in the overlay displaying only the top half of the image and also too tall & skinny.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Wayne,

I have followed your resolution guide to set up 1440x480p timing, but I don't understand why you use 540p timing instead of 480p when after all, you are displaying 480p? I notice at 480p, the desktop is clearer than 1080i at 1440x480p resolution.

Also, after doing the service menu convergence using the HTPC (1440x480p), when I switch back to STB dvd at 480p, the convergence is off on the side. What that means is the 480p in htpc and stb are somehow different. Should I use the stb as the standard and change the timing on the htpc to match it?

-JL

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mad Chemist
Quote:
lsdavinci, what audio filters are you using? The Cinemaster's leave a little to be desired. WinDVD audio filters seem to be the most stable. I've had some problems with both Cinemaster and PowerDVD audio filters.
I am currently using the PowerDVD filters. I don't bother with Cinemaster audio because I don't here good things about it and it doesn't give me DD or DTS. WinDVD, seems to give me a higher output but the video skips. The PowerDVD audio filters left gaps in the audio about every second. Using the PowerDVD Player all around gives me the best stability.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jl_moped
Wayne,

I have followed your resolution guide to set up 1440x480p timing, but I don't understand why you use 540p timing instead of 480p when after all, you are displaying 480p? I notice at 480p, the desktop is clearer than 1080i at 1440x480p resolution.

Also, after doing the service menu convergence using the HTPC (1440x480p), when I switch back to STB dvd at 480p, the convergence is off on the side. What that means is the 480p in htpc and stb are somehow different. Should I use the stb as the standard and change the timing on the htpc to match it?

-JL
1) At the time of writing that guide, the user had to manually flip a switch on the transcoder whenever you changed resolutions. So it was a matter of convenience to always use 540p/1080i timings. Plus it helps reduce overscan...at 540p only about 480 lines or so are visible anyway, with the other ~60 lines being for the vertical blanking area. 480p at 480p timings loses some image due to overscan.

2) Yes. You probably need to adjust the horizontal scan rate about a click or two.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Quote:
If you want DTS CD capability and interlaced resolutions for the video overlay, you need Win98/ME.
Can you still hear DTS tracks on DVDs? If not, I have to think over my plans. I have ME now and decided to upgrade to XP Home when I add a MyHD car. I don't mind playing back my DTS CDs through a DVDP, but I want to pass through DTS from the HTPC...OH and I can't set t&r for 1920x1080i under XP? :confused:

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Wayne:

___Lets just say a little birdie hit me over the head with a sledge hammer last night while playing back a Superbit DTS DVD via xxxx xxxxx displaying a true 1920x1080i output from a high end xxxxxx equipped HTPC using Windows XP via xxxxxxxxx xxxxxx … More to come in the next few months if it all works out which it will if we have our say ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Through the overlay or through the "new stuff"?

·
Registered
982 Posts
On my HTPC, I've been through 98se, w2k and XP. I'm currently on XP and it's given me less trouble than any of the other OS's. I really like it for all the built-in multi-media support and the fact that almost everything I've tried, just works the first time. W2K probably gave me the most trouble getting everything to work together and W98SE was the least stable. I'm sticking with XP until something better comes along.

Quote:
If you want DTS CD capability and interlaced resolutions for the video overlay, you need Win98/ME.
Valid arguments for not going to a more stable platform. Fortunately, I use progressive resolutions on my projector. The DTS CD capability is hardly worth mentioning, since any consumer CD player with digital out can pass DTS. I have 3 other CD players in my rack that can play DTS CD's.

Chris

·
Registered
602 Posts
Quote:
The DTS CD capability is hardly worth mentioning, since any consumer CD player with digital out can pass DTS
The same can be said for playing a DVD on any standard consumer DVD player... or a music CD on any standard consumer DVD or CD player.

I don't know about you guys, but my concept for a HTPC rules out the inclusion of standard consumer grade equipment. There is more to a HTPC than just running a high screen resolution to a projector or monitor. It should be all encompasing and handle all your needs.

With Win98es I am able to rip and archive multi channel DTS audio CD's to hard disk and play them back through WinAmp. I am also able to watch DVD's and Laserdisc's at 1440x960i with perfect scoped settings.

But with 2K and XP.. you have to settle.... I hate having to settle for things. So I didn't settle with little ole Win98se. :)

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've realized that DTS CD's will not likely affect my decision in the long run. I don't own any now and I don't think the market is going to be flooded with them in the future. So I'm sticking with XP.

But I do agree about the HTPC being the solution for many things. I have made it my DVD, CD, MP3, VCR, PC and possibly gaming in the future. I also plan on replacing DTS functionality with playing CDs using PowerDVD's Dolby Pro Logic II abilities being I have the Delta 410 card. Once I have that tested, I will post the results.

Any other suggestions out there for HTPC?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.