AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Building a deck and patio cover and looking for some good speakers. Should I go with the Boston Acoustics voyager 7s? They are on sale at crutchfield and seem to be a good buy. I know Bose gets no respect here, but what about their outdoor speakers? Any other recommendations?

Also, the house was wired from the previous owner, and it looks like they have in ceiling speakers front and rear, with the outside speakers wired off of the in ceiling speakers, not on their own. They have a volume control knob outside, but does that mean I would have to have the speakers inside the house on if I want the outdoor ones on? I just ordered a Yamaha 663 so I will test to see if this is the case when it arrives. If so, would it be wise to run the outdoors on their own?

Thanks for you help

bruin

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was just getting on here to ask the same basic question when I saw you're post. I have no preconceived "brand" issues, would like to hear from those that have actually tried different outdoor speakers in an outdoor environment - not in the store. Not expecting magic because off the 'setting', but would like some suggestions in the $300-500/pair range.

·
Banned
3,453 Posts
With the inherent sonic limitations of having speakers outdoors there seems little sense in paying too much for a pair. If you need to fill an entire acre with sound you'll want speakers with high power handling, but more speakers would be a better solution. On my patio I use a pair of Dual outdoor speakers, $59 on sale at C.C. They sound great!

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
While Bose does get a bad rap, I've installed Bose 402s on 18' poles in an equestrian facility for their music and paging. While the first 'weatherproof' drivers failed after 2 years due to warpage, the (warranty) replacement Kevlar drivers have been flawless for the last 6 years. They're not very efficient (no Bose product is), but with gobs of power behind them, they are great.

Mind you, 402s probably are too big for home use, the 151 use similar Kevlar drivers and will last and last.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Check out Niles OS series as well. I have some of the OS-20 (older model) on my screen porch and they sound excellent. Been in use for about four years now and they still sound as good as new.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have always loved and highly reccomended the Klipsch AW-400 speakers. They have an awesoem sound to them and for $189 a pair they are very cost feasible. They are great for a patio or small to mid sized back yard. If you need more oomph check out the AW-525 speakers, but to my ear you are paying more for the extra volume than you are for extra sound quality. I like either pair much more than the Bose 151s mentioned earlier.

You should be able to demo them at any Best Buy with a Magnolia room in it.

-Jonathan

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help.....After auditioning both the Bose 251's and Boston Voyager 7's, it's not even close. The Boston's are great. Love the bass response, even though I know that I won't get it outdoors, but we listen to hip-hop music and this will be great especially that they are on sale for only $50 more than the bose.

Now onto another dilema.....I think the prewire at the house for the outdoor speakers has them run off of the front and rear right in ceiling speakers. I have no access to be able to re-run them. I am not planning on running the front in ceilings, so could I just run both the outdoors in series to the front right speaker wire and use just one channel on zone 2 to power these so I can have them running without the indoors running? Since they are 8 ohms, in series would put them at a 4 ohm load and I can set my Yamaha 663 to a 4 ohm load....

Thanks

·
Registered
41 Posts
I installed the Voyager 7s under my eaves over our deck last year and think they're great. Make sure you see 'em in person if possible, as I bought them online without having heard them, and they were larger than I expected (even having looked at the dimensions)!

-dan

·
Registered
27 Posts
OK, that time of year again. Can anyone provie some updates/feedback on their speakers since last year's thread?

I am looking at Klipsch or Definitive. Any feedback available on these two?

Boston would be another I would consider.

Thanks

Steve

·
Registered
74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMedic2000 /forum/post/16360104

OK, that time of year again. Can anyone provie some updates/feedback on their speakers since last year's thread?

Thanks

Steve

So my local BB has the Klipshe AW-400 for $50, as a clearance sale item. Normally $249 but $200 off. I'm thinking they would be nice to have for outdoors music when I have parties outside.

·
Registered
376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMedic2000 /forum/post/16360104

Thanks

Steve

Have a pair of Def Tech AW6500 on thier way. Will report back

·
Registered
634 Posts
i can +1 for Klipsch outdoor speakers. my mom just got a pair for her patio. they now have great sound out there and (like most Klipsch speakers) they are pretty darn efficient. i couldnt see their receiver being more than 100W a channel, and they get all the sound they need when relaxing/entertaining

·
Registered
400 Posts
I would think that those Klipsch are a steal at $50.... It is outside.. It's not like you are trying to recreate the nuances of Carnegie Hall..

Go for it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I Currently use Klipsch outdoors but when i upgrade i want to try these. Proficient audio A830 Ultra Three way

at *******************.com

Proficient Audio

Their home website is here
http://www.proficientaudio.com/main.html

Have never heard them, BUT the specs look GREAT . 10 Year Warranty 8 inch Woofer!!

I would love to try them myself when finances allow.

P.S. It would not let me copy the link to the website is 'outdoor speaker depot' dot com

original price 575.00 per pair on sale for 349.00

·
Registered
73 Posts
To revive an older thread, some family members are looking for some outdoor speakers for their beach home in Florida. Given all the wind and salty humidity that comes with being right on the Gulf of Mexico, durability is going to be a major factor in what they choose. Any thoughts on specific brands to consider?

We're looking for something mid-range, most likely something from Boston, Klipsch, Energy, Mirage, Definitive, Paradigm, Monitor, etc. The ideal speaker would be small and unobtrusive, but efficient (they will likely be driven by a relatively low-wattage multi-room system from Niles or Russound) and above all durable. We're not looking to blast away the neighbors, just to be able to listen to music and not have to replace the speakers for quite a few years.

I've had pretty good experiences with Boston outdoor speakers in the past but haven't bought a pair for over a decade. Are quality standards still high? Anything else considered better durability-wise?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I am having trouble finding any meaninful posts on this subject. I see a lot of people promoting (in an anecdotal fashion) the products that THEY own. I don't see any brand 'a' vs brand 'b' information in ANY of the outdoor speaker threads.

We have established the fact that the outdoor speaker depot sells knock offs of any product they can copy. We have established that AMAudioDude (and one or two others) swears by TIC. I don't care if every commercial property has TIC speakers, that does nto equate in any way to sound quality... thousands of commercial proeprties use BOSE systems as well. People that own $59 specials from kMart like them as well.

I can purchase (at wholesale) Boston Voyager 6 outdoor units for the same price as the TC ASP120 series speakers. Moreover, most of the brands listed above can be had at retail for less than $300 a pair.

So there are still two basic questions.

1) in a reasonable price range, what brand sounds the best for MUSIC (not background fill) on the patio

2) in a reasonable price range, what brand is the most weatherproof (to be mounted IN the elements, not under cover).

The TIC offerings boast a much lower cuttoff than the Voyagers, but is it realistic? What about real world weather resistance?

Does anybody have experience with more than a single brand? Any vendors wish to offer an unbiased opinion? I certainly think the Boston Voyager series are decent (as I have installed them), but I have no experience with anything else other than BOSE. The Boston stuff blows the BOSE away.

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanAnimal /forum/post/16830812

I am having trouble finding any meaninful posts on this subject. I see a lot of people promoting (in an anecdotal fashion) the products that THEY own.

That's how all speaker threads go.

·
Registered
174 Posts
In this case it is driving me insane. The price is not the issue, I jsut don't want to have to audition 2-3 sets of speakers and return the losers. I know the quality is subjective and very dependent on the installation environment...

It would appear that very few of the contributors to these threads actually know much about speakers, and even less so than those who contribute to the full size speaker threads.

Ohh well... off to roll the dice and order something.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts