AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am potentially looking for a SIGNIFICANT upgrade from my current Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-440C center (also own a Paradigm LCR450 if it matters) and in the under $1,000 the THX-365C and C2+ keep coming up.

How does the Monoprice THX-365C stack up against the Emotiva C2+?
Would either one be a SIGNIFICANT upgrade from my current RP-440C center?

Three THX-365C owners say it blows away their MUCH more expensive centers:
Quote from owner 1, the "Monoprice is better than the top end Klipsch RC64, Polk Audio LSIM 706c and Monitior Audio Silver c350." <<< all of which he owned.
Owner 2, regarding the THX-365C "I went from a Klipsch RP-450c which was no slouch, and this blows that out of the water."
Owner 3, " Great value in my book. P.S.: I've had much more expensive centers (B&W HTM3s)".

The Emotiva has 2 midrange drivers.

Assuming that I want the best center and will get the right left and right speakers for voice matching, any other best outright center channel speaker contenders in the sub $1,000 price range that would be significantly better than the Emotiva or Monoprice THX-365C?
I know some can be had on sale for a few hundred less) , preferably ones that can be had for $700 or less.

If it comes down to it, would you pick the Emotiva C2+ or Monoprice Monolith THX-365C?

Thanks!

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,257 Posts
How far do you sit from the center channel, and what is the loudest you can foresee listening now or in the future?

Also important, can you accommodate a vertical bookshelf speaker for center channel? If so , this opens up A LOT more options that will perform better than many horizontal MTM center channels.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How far do you sit from the center channel, and what is the loudest you can foresee listening now or in the future?

Also important, can you accommodate a vertical bookshelf speaker for center channel? If so , this opens up A LOT more options that will perform better than many horizontal MTM center channels.

I forgot to mention that, while I love good music, movie viewing is my priority here.

Seating position is approximately 8 1/2 feet from the FRONT edge of the speaker.

Loudest? Good question. Loudness is important but not a major concern (I also have a Martin Logan Dynamo 500 sub and my left and front speakers also have built in amplified subwoofers).
The RP-440C gets more than loud enough (combined with my R972 receiver and current left, right and sub).
I really want good sound quality and am looking for something that would be a SIGNIFICANT upgrade to the RP-440C (or LCR450 for that matter - they are quite different), otherwise I will stick with what I have now.

If the C2+ or THX-365C e.g. are not going to be significantly better than the RP-440C, then there is not much point in considering them or other alternatives for that matter. Given the glowing owner comments for the THX-365C compared to far more expensive speakers, it appears the THX-365C is perhaps a significant improvement over my RP-440C, but the THX-365C does not have a ton of reviews (15 so far) and 3 owners is not a huge sample size...

I suspect most center speakers in the $400 and above can play loudly enough for my needs.

Regarding accommodating a large speaker, I recently bought a Sanus SFC-18B center speaker stand. So I prefer a center that can fit on that without being too heavy.
Stand details: Sanus SFC18 Center Channel Speaker Stand (Black) Steel Foundations® series 18" at Crutchfield

·
Registered
19,886 Posts
I am potentially looking for a SIGNIFICANT upgrade from my current Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-440C center (also own a Paradigm LCR450 if it matters) and in the under $1,000 the THX-365C and C2+ keep coming up.

How does the Monoprice THX-365C stack up against the Emotiva C2+?
Would either one be a SIGNIFICANT upgrade from my current RP-440C center?

Three THX-365C owners say it blows away their MUCH more expensive centers:
Quote from owner 1, the "Monoprice is better than the top end Klipsch RC64, Polk Audio LSIM 706c and Monitior Audio Silver c350." <<< all of which he owned.
Owner 2, regarding the THX-365C "I went from a Klipsch RP-450c which was no slouch, and this blows that out of the water."
Owner 3, " Great value in my book. P.S.: I've had much more expensive centers (B&W HTM3s)".

The Emotiva has 2 midrange drivers.

Assuming that I want the best center and will get the right left and right speakers for voice matching, any other best outright center channel speaker contenders in the sub $1,000 price range that would be significantly better than the Emotiva or Monoprice THX-365C?
I know some can be had on sale for a few hundred less) , preferably ones that can be had for $700 or less.

If it comes down to it, would you pick the Emotiva C2+ or Monoprice Monolith THX-365C?
Beyond the rock-bottom $100-200 price levels, it can be dangerous to assume that price is a reliable indicator of performance/quality---ESPECIALLY with center speakers, which many traditional retail speaker companies have a deliberate marketing strategy of offering only crappy to mediocre 2 way designs in their entry level to mid level model lines, saving their one really good center (usually a 3 way) for their top shelf model line which they price gouge you on. Polk, Wharfedale, Paradigm, Monitor Audio, et al.

Emotiva and Monoprice, perhaps because they are unconventional internet-direct companies, are exceptions to that rule; both the C2+ and 365C are $400 apiece, quite modest in comparison.

I can't help noticing that the C2+ has dual rear ports and a much bigger enclosure---as a result I'd expect it to offer more headroom, dynamics, and mid-bass extension than the 365C's sealed cabinet. The specs (assuming they are legit) bear that out: the C2+ is 3db more sensitive (92db vs 89db) and its 3db roll off is 20Hz lower (45Hz vs 65Hz).

So if I had to order just one, I'd get the C2+ ... however I can't imagine return shipping on a single center speaker would cost much over $50, so ideally you could try both.

·
Registered
9,174 Posts
You just need to try one and hear for yourself. You could try something like the SVS ultra center for free. Depending on what you get out of that might determine if the other less expensive options are worth considering.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Beyond the rock-bottom $100-200 price levels, it can be dangerous to assume that price is a reliable indicator of performance/quality---ESPECIALLY with center speakers, which many traditional retail speaker companies have a deliberate marketing strategy of offering only crappy to mediocre 2 way designs in their entry level to mid level model lines, saving their one really good center (usually a 3 way) for their top shelf model line which they price gouge you on. Polk, Wharfedale, Paradigm, Monitor Audio, et al.

Emotiva and Monoprice, perhaps because they are unconventional internet-direct companies, are exceptions to that rule; both the C2+ and 365C are $400 apiece, quite modest in comparison.

I can't help noticing that the C2+ has dual rear ports and a much bigger enclosure---as a result I'd expect it to offer more headroom, dynamics, and mid-bass extension than the 365C's sealed cabinet. The specs (assuming they are legit) bear that out: the C2+ is 3db more sensitive (92db vs 89db) and its 3db roll off is 20Hz lower (45Hz vs 65Hz).

So if I had to order just one, I'd get the C2+ ... however I can't imagine return shipping on a single center speaker would cost much over $50, so ideally you could try both.

Thanks a lot for the insights Zorba! Agreed regarding price not being an indicator.
I mentioned pricing just in order to stay within a certain range / budget.

The Emotiva C2+ was one I was looking at before I stumbled onto the Monolith and its rave reviews (on some audio sites too, including here). The THX certification of the Monolith could be a nice plus for those times I want to watch a movie a bit louder than usual. The RP-440C does not disappoint in that regard in fact.

As you said, I could perhaps audition both the C2+ and the THX-365C...
I will also try some more movies with DTS-HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD, one more time, with my RP-440C before jumping into something new.

I was surprised 2 days ago to see that shipping for one large 75lb center speaker advertised at one of the audio reseller sites, admittedly from the other coast, was over $220 and that was for Fedex Ground. Next Day shipping was over $1,000!
Being oversize did not help... :)
Luckily the 2 speakers being considered here weigh a lot less and are smaller, so they should hopefully be around $50 to ship back as you said (assuming they are not being shipped to the other coast).

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You just need to try one and hear for yourself. You could try something like the SVS ultra center for free. Depending on what you get out of that might determine if the other less expensive options are worth considering.
Thanks! The Ultra was also on my short list albeit pricier than the two $400 speakers I have been potentially.
Impressive that SVS have free return shipping.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Svs ultra or if u can step up the price a bit check out the Ascend Sierra Horizon
Thanks!
Regarding the Ascend Sierra Horizon for $1,100 to $1,150 - I would like to stay under $700 for the center. I spent a lot in 2020, so I will be taking a break from spending on toys. :)
I can justify up to ~$700 on a new center though by selling my two current centers to recoup either a lot of the $700, or recoup all of the $400 if going with the C2+ or THX-365C e.g. (or something else in the ~$400 range).
My two current centers both look and operate like new so they should sell well.

·
Registered
19,886 Posts
Regarding the Ascend Sierra Horizon for $1,100 to $1,150 - I would like to stay under $700 for the center.
The main advantages of the Horizon center are the front porting and the pretty finishes. I'd be very surprised if it were any quantum leap over the C2+ or 365C.

Bear in mind that the main function of the center speaker is to produce DIALOGUE...it simply needs effortless voice clarity and tonal realism/fullness. That is not exactly astrophysics.

The center also does half of the front sound effects and some of the music too, but during actual HT use your EYES are the dominant sensory input and your BRAIN is more focused on what's happening on the screen (plot and action) rather than listening FOR any subtle nuances in the sound, as would happen during critical music listening.

Reactions: ia1z

·
Registered
537 Posts
I absolutely love my SVS Ultra Center for $700. Crystal clear and it plays incredibly low. After measuring and tuning with REW I have mine crossed at 40hz. I love that male voices can be completely rendered by it.

Can’t recommend it enough!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The main advantages of the Horizon center is the front porting and the pretty finishes. I'd be very surprised if it were any quantum leap over the C2+ or 365C.

Bear in mind that the main function of the center speaker is to produce DIALOGUE...it simply needs effortless voice clarity and tonal realism/fullness. That is not exactly astrophysics.

The center also does half of the front sound effects and some of the music too, but during actual HT use your EYES are the dominant sensory input and your BRAIN is more focused on what's happening on the screen (plot and action) rather than listening FOR any subtle nuances in the sound, as would happen during critical music listening.
Thanks again for your helpful insights / thoughts!

In fact I wonder if I might be expecting too much of an upgrade... I guess only an audition can help answer that. :)
To be fair to my RP-440C: It is a good center and can play extremely loud without plenty of room to spare (albeit perhaps a bit 'bright' if I had to find any fault); frankly the dialogue is also very clear. It also does a nice job with the portion of the surround effects it is responsible for.
Given its (slight?) brightness (hard for me to say whether it is slight or not without comparing it to more competing centers), I thought it might be worth trying to find an upgrade, if it would be a significant improvement, as noted in my OP.
Ironically, even my Paradigm LCR450 recently surprised me when I hooked it up for the first time in the ~ 3 years since I got the RP-440C. I initially did NOT like the LCR450 much - found it muffled / not good for dialogue - and hence tried another center - which is where the RP-440C came into play; not sure what changed with the LCR450 recently that it performed better than I recalled.

·
Registered
19,886 Posts
Thanks again for your helpful insights / thoughts!

In fact I wonder if I might be expecting too much of an upgrade... I guess only an audition can help answer that. :)
To be fair to my RP-440C: It is a good center and can play extremely loud without plenty of room to spare (albeit perhaps a bit 'bright' if I had to find any fault); frankly the dialogue is also very clear. It also does a nice job with the portion of the surround effects it is responsible for.
Given its (slight?) brightness (hard for me to say whether it is slight or not without comparing it to more competing centers), I thought it might be worth trying to find an upgrade, if it would be a significant improvement, as noted in my OP.
Ironically, even my Paradigm LCR450 recently surprised me when I hooked it up for the first time in the ~ 3 years since I got the RP-440C. I initially did NOT like the LCR450 much - found it muffled / not good for dialogue - and hence tried another center - which is where the RP-440C came into play; not sure what changed with the LCR450 recently that it performed better than I recalled.
The LCR450 probably has more bass due to the larger woofers --- 6.5" vs 4.5" on the 440C. So while the Klipsch tweeter is probably clearer, the 450 probably has more tonal fullness/realism.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The LCR450 probably has more bass due to the larger woofers --- 6.5" vs 4.5" on the 440C. So while the Klipsch tweeter is probably clearer, the 450 probably has more tonal fullness/realism.
Right, that is what I was thinking / wondering. The Klipsch does have 4 woofers vs. 2 woofers on the LCR450 to presumably try to somewhat / partially compensate for the smaller size.
I have decided (hence my OP) that, if I do decide to upgrade, I want to move to a 3-way design and 6.5" woofers ideally. Hence I focused on such options and the C2+ and THX-365C meet this set of criteria, which is why I posted them as primary contenders.

Late last night into early this morning, I did watch portions of several DTS Master HD and Dolby True HD Blu Ray discs which I use to most fully demonstrate (to myself) the surround sound capabilities of my Newcastle R-972 and the rest of my system to see again how my RP-440C fared. (I did not use the LR450 last night; just the RP-440C).

It works well with the system. So I am still debating. If I do go ahead, I may try BOTH the C2+ and the THX-365C and see how they fare. I may also give the SVS Ultra a try.
Just wondering if I will be expecting too much from an 'upgrade' center... Dialogue clarity is not an issue with the RP-440C.
I know there is also the 2-way HSU in that price range to consider.

Either way, I really appreciate all the helpful recommendations and feedback so far!

PS / side note - The C2+ is slightly (1.1 lbs) over the posted 35 lb weight capacity of my new SFC18-BII center stand (which is the perfect height and size). Someone is using it with an even heavier B&W HTM71 S2 though - 39 lbs - and says
: "but this stand holds it very sturdy " (he meant 'sturdily').

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,257 Posts
I think the Emotiva C2+ and the Monoprice 365 will both be worthwhile upgrades to the 2 way Klipsch center channel in terms of sound quality. I would definitely order both and demo. My only concern with the C2+ despite its VERY impressive specs for the price would be the rising treble response all the Emotiva speakers seem to have. I think the Monoprice will be a bit more neutral based on what I've seen.

So yeah, order both and keep the one you like. I still think the RC263 at regular price is a worthy contender. Knowing it goes on sale makes it a tough pill to swallow.

·
Registered
8,257 Posts
I have decided (hence my OP) that, if I do decide to upgrade, I want to move to a 3-way design and 6.5" woofers ideally.
This is a good call IMO. No reason not to focus on the most optimal solution, especially if well within size and budget constraints.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts