AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a bit torn. The newer GeForce Cards obviously have high performance gaming in mind, but from some reviews I have read, the video quality when connected to an HDTV has left something to be desired. I myself, I enjoy both gaming and video on a PC, but would look for video quality over gaming performance if it came down to that. Any recommendations?

Thanks

-Andrew

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump

Is GeForce not the best card to use with an HDTV? After reading the guide to hooking an HTPC to an HDTV, it sounded like GeForce was the best bet.

-Andrew

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm not sure what guide you read, but the nvidia chips aren't the best bet, assuming you want the highest possible DVD playback quality. If you read this forum's FAQ and hang around here for a while, you'll find that the strong consensus is that ATI's chips, except the 8500, are preferred.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Radeon is better for video due to 10 bit processing vs GF 8 bit processing.

So, Radeon wins for video, GF wins for gaming. Luckely for us, video does not take much processing horsepower for a video card. So, get a PCI Radeon for the video and an AGP GF for the games.

Or, get a Radeon 8500 and wait for the gamma fix that is supposed to be comming if this card is fast enough for what you want.

Or, wait a little while longer and get the new Matrox card comming out soon and have the best of both worlds in one card - maybe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.