AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I would like a recommendation on the best paint mix I should use for my setting. I have an HVLP sprayer and live in Europe so will need to source paints here. Here are my basic facts:

• Room: 3.6m x 3.8m...projection along the longer dimension. Dedicated with full light control - dark surfaces and black velvet on projection wall.
  • Viewing distance: 2.2m (single couch in middle of room so viewing cone for 2-3 persons is quite narrow).
  • Throw distance: 3.1m
  • Projector: JVC DLA-X35 (most references say this puts out around 700 lumens fully calibrated)
  • Projected image: Constant image width of 220 cm with adjustable vertical masking for 1.77 vs 2.35/2.40 content
  • Substrate: Either Forex (Euro Sintra) or Dibond. Either one will get attached to an 8mm plywood backing board for attachment to the wall.

Given my short room I will be near the widest angle of the DLA-X35 lens in order to throw a 220 cm image. One of my concerns is to avoid hotspotting and I tend to think I should be aiming for a gain of between 0.8 and 1.3 with what I am guesstimating as the best target of around 1.0.

So what paint formulation - easily obtainable in Europe and easy for a first time DIYer - would be my best bet?

Black Widow?
RS-MaxxMudd LL?
A Silver Fire formulation?

Thanks for your feeback gentlemen, I'm all ears. :grin:

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Because MMLL is also rollable, can it also be a little more forgiving about the larger-size HVLP needles? ..or is it better to roll it if the gun isn't already appropriate?

More importantly, susanned, can you post the brand+model of the paint-sprayer you have?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Because MMLL is also rollable, can it also be a little more forgiving about the larger-size HVLP needles? ..or is it better to roll it if the gun isn't already appropriate?

More importantly, susanned, can you post the brand+model of the paint-sprayer you have?
Sorry, didn't know the details on my sprayer etc. were important.

It's an English make - the Earlex HV5901.

650W motor, .18bar, a maximum viscosity of 220 din/sec. It has a 1.5 mm needletip and a 2.5mm needle.

Thanks to let me know if you think it is up to spraying and still keen to hear suggestions on the best paint formulation as well as the pros/cons of one over the other for my setting.

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
MississippiMan is a total gun geek so that'll mean more to him than it does to me. All I know is that 1.5needle is going to be your friend for this project. :)

The thicker needles can lead to visible texture on the screen which will look like noisy film-grain and they can also make drips/runs a problem.
A gun requiring a separate air-compressor also needs a bunch of special attention which can be a complete pain in the butt.
It looks like you'll be fine on all fronts, but like I said, MM will actually understand the finer details and might even have personal experience with that particular model to give really specific advice.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,838 Posts
Sorry, didn't know the details on my sprayer etc. were important.

It's an English make - the Earlex HV5901.

650W motor, .18bar, a maximum viscosity of 220 din/sec. It has a 1.5 mm needletip and a 2.5mm needle.

Thanks to let me know if you think it is up to spraying and still keen to hear suggestions on the best paint formulation as well as the pros/cons of one over the other for my setting.

OK.....,
The 5901 is essentially a 2901 but with the Back Pack included. Electric HVLP
http://www.priceminister.com/offer/buy/242154063/pistolet-a-peinture-earlex-spraystation-hv5901.html

The 1.5 mm needle is usable, but the preferred size is 1.0 mm because that size produces an almost glass smooth finish.

To interface with the 5901, a totally different Air Cap and Needle Nozzle may be required, but when your order the 1.0 Needle Kit direct from Earlex, you get all that. It depends upon the style Gun, but with my 2901, the special Kit was needed. Contacting the Earlex Divison directly, in your respective Country (...which is? ) to inquire would be advisable. I could only find 1 reference on the entire Web concerning the 5901, so it must be a very new Model, or in limited distribution.. But as shown, it looks to be simply a 2901 with the additional Back Back, and come with two different Needles...the 2.5 mm being for use with much heavier bodied, non thinned Latex paints.

Using a 1.5'er, you do Duster Coats as usual, but to obtain a really smooth finish it's best to very lightly sand the painted surface between the 4th coat and the subsequent 5th & 6th coats. Also, because a 1.5 mm needle will apply a marginally heavier coat at any given speed and distance, 6 Duster coats...or a maximum of 7 Dusters should effect complete coverage.

Keep us informed and in the loop as best as the time difference will allowed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts