AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently building a "Garage Theater" due to the layout limitations of my house, I'll be using a Panasonic 3000u projector, PS3, and Pioneer 49txi with Swan Diva's (they're old but still sound good).

I have a large front wall that I'd like to project an image approximately 180 to 200" max, haven't dug into what the project will do at that size so may work done.

My major question is what do with the front wall?

White or Gray??? I read to use Kilz2 primer first and I'm doing that this weekend, was looking for next steps?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!!!

·
Registered
4,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjs3 /forum/post/18292883

I'm currently building a "Garage Theater" due to the layout limitations of my house, I'll be using a Panasonic 3000u projector, PS3, and Pioneer 49txi with Swan Diva's (they're old but still sound good).

I have a large front wall that I'd like to project an image approximately 180 to 200" max, haven't dug into what the project will do at that size so may work done.

My major question is what do with the front wall?

White or Gray??? I read to use Kilz2 primer first and I'm doing that this weekend, was looking for next steps?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!!!

That is FAR too large of an image for the 3000 to light up. I would suggest dropping down to around 120 inches (which is still slightly pushing it).

Just go buy a Wilsonart laminate sheet (search for it here). Cheap, fast, and easy!

·
Registered
284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteph10 /forum/post/18293138

That is FAR too large of an image for the 3000 to light up. I would suggest dropping down to around 120 inches (which is still slightly pushing it).

Just go buy a Wilsonart laminate sheet (search for it here). Cheap, fast, and easy!

Are you suggesting to use that sheet as your screen? (never heard of it) I am looking to make a screen if I opt to not go with an electronic screen.

Thank you.

·
Registered
389 Posts
If you go to the DIY Screen forum you'll get a lot more info. If you're trying to keep things really cheap and quick, just buy a quart of Behr Silverscreen, but you should ask the people in that forum for suggestions.

·
Registered
374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane R /forum/post/18293284

Are you suggesting to use that sheet as your screen? (never heard of it) I am looking to make a screen if I opt to not go with an electronic screen.

Thank you.

Yes, if you're going to go the DIY route, definitely check out the WilsonArt product.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=708240

·
Registered
573 Posts
If anyone is from the metro Detroit area I will have a wilsonart screen to give away. Its about 110" diagonal and a little taller than 16:9. It was made with a poplar frame and trimmed out with molding and flat black paint. I dont want anything for it. Send me a pm if you are from Metro Detroit and interested.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Personally, before I did anything with a screen, I would set up a possible spot for the projector, turn it on and see how big a picture it throws up. If you like the pic then..... I would mask out with blue tape my screen on the wall. This is a quick way to determine how big a screen you have to buy/paint/make.

·
Registered
6,718 Posts
Wwwwwwwaaaaaayyyyy back when I painted my bare basement walls with a slightly off white primer, may have even been Kilz, just as a "proof of concept" experiment. If you are set on the Panny 3000 I would get it first and then play around with different screen sizes to see what is pleasing to your eye. Just remember though if you start out with a new pj and are happy with a 200" image that bulb will dim with time and your 200" image will start looking dimmer and dimmer.

Good luck.

Regards,

RTROSE

1 - 9 of 9 Posts