AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently testing a pair of Klipsch KB-15 bookshelf speakers that I purchased for 249$. I am wondering if there is a better recommendation for front speakers in a 5.1 surround sound system.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie01  /t/1466774/best-pair-of-bookshelf-speakers-for-front-channels-in-250-price-range#post_23165823

Arx gets my vote... for 250 that is.

Well $299 but close enough

But yeah my vote goes to Arx for sure.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
+1 for the HSU bookshelf speaker.

Joe, I don't know where you're located, but have you seen the "I'll demo my speaker... " thread?

Recommendations are one thing, but listening for yourself is far better.

Joseph

·
Registered
1,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark  /t/1466774/best-pair-of-bookshelf-speakers-for-front-channels-in-250-price-range#post_23166132

I think the Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 450 is a steal from NewEgg at $279/pr. No, they don't reach as deep as the spec says, but you have a sub so it doesn't matter. Authoritative, accurate, clear, loud speaker for the money.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882325060

Do you have these speakers? I was looking at some tower speakers for my game room but would consider a nice bookshelf set.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27  /t/1466774/best-pair-of-bookshelf-speakers-for-front-channels-in-250-price-range#post_23165880

HSU makes a bookshelf. HB-1 MK2 Horn Bookshelf Speaker. A bit over budget, but I think I heard this is a pretty good little theater speaker.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hb-1.html

I actually demo'd the HSU and the original Arx A1 (smaller than A1b) and they both sounded great. The HSU had nice punchy woofer and seemed much more lively than the Arx. The Arx had a much nicer soundstage and tweeter, the woofer had a more dry clinical sound to it, typical of XBL2 woofers though and it seemed like it had deeper extension.

Really wish we had someone that could gather up a bunch of bookshelfs, ARX, HSU, Aperion, Ascend, HTD, Axiom and do a long term session with them and report back.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall.White  /t/1466774/best-pair-of-bookshelf-speakers-for-front-channels-in-250-price-range#post_23166988

Do you have these speakers? I was looking at some tower speakers for my game room but would consider a nice bookshelf set.

I have the slightly smaller SM350s in my own listening room, and a pair of 450s that we use on a music cart for cocktail parties where I work. They sound very similar, and if used with a subwoofer I would take either one based on room size. Right now the 450 is actually cheaper at Newegg, but the 350 frequently seems to drop to $179/pr which, to me, is astonishing.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
I too own the sm450s and man, that is one nice speaker for the buck!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark  /t/1466774/best-pair-of-bookshelf-speakers-for-front-channels-in-250-price-range#post_23168279

I have the slightly smaller SM350s in my own listening room, and a pair of 450s that we use on a music cart for cocktail parties where I work. They sound very similar, and if used with a subwoofer I would take either one based on room size. Right now the 450 is actually cheaper at Newegg, but the 350 frequently seems to drop to $179/pr which, to me, is astonishing.

I'm looking for a set for a "game room" where we will watch sports. Some music but mainly for TV viewing. Would you pair either Def Tech speaker with a sub? Trying to keep this setup budget friendly. I have another room that I watch movies in and it'll be focused just on "Home Theater".

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
JimZ has said numerous times that the Cambridge S30 is a fantastic little speaker. Around the $200 price point. I have the sister speakers the Mordaunt Short Carnival 2's. Currently I use them for surrounds, however they are a great sounding speaker.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall.White  /t/1466774/best-pair-of-bookshelf-speakers-for-front-channels-in-250-price-range#post_23169680

I'm looking for a set for a "game room" where we will watch sports. Some music but mainly for TV viewing. Would you pair either Def Tech speaker with a sub? Trying to keep this setup budget friendly. I have another room that I watch movies in and it'll be focused just on "Home Theater".
What is budget friendly?? Lots of options there. Also what kind of sub?

·
Registered
19,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27  /t/1466774/best-pair-of-bookshelf-speakers-for-front-channels-in-250-price-range#post_23169897

JimZ has said numerous times that the Cambridge S30 is a fantastic little speaker. Around the $200 price point. I have the sister speakers the Mordaunt Short Carnival 2's. Currently I use them for surrounds, however they are a great sounding speaker.

+1

·
Registered
74 Posts
Love this thread. I am looking at the DT 350s/450s myself. I can get the 350s from a friend for pretty cheap but I want to make sure I won't be hurting myself as the 450s aren't really expensive at all. So assume the OP has a Klipsch RW-12d sub... :) Would the 450s even be necessary? The 350s should do well in comparison since I read the main difference is how the 450s handle lows.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall.White  /t/1466774/best-pair-of-bookshelf-speakers-for-front-channels-in-250-price-range#post_23169680

There are very few bookshelf speakers that wouldn't benefit from adding a sub. Don't be fooled; you need a sub to get userul response below 50 or 60Hz with any 2-way bookshelf speaker that has smaller than a 6-inch driver.

Any of these speakers mentioned in this thread will sound good. They are all different in timbre, in imaging, in dispersion, and you may like one more than another. But most people would be happy with any of them as long as they are used appropriately, not playsed too loud, not pushed too hard in too big a room.

But none of them can reproduce anything worthwhile between 20 and 40Hz, and few can even get below 50Hz with any authority. That's jwhat subs are for.

In a stereo music system, the DT SM450 sounds wonderful and can generate plenty of sound. If you want to get visceral bass effects from movies and TV, you need a sub, with them or any bookshelf-sized speaker.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark  /t/1466774/best-pair-of-bookshelf-speakers-for-front-channels-in-250-price-range#post_23170137

There are very few bookshelf speakers that wouldn't benefit from adding a sub. Don't be fooled; you need a sub to get userul response below 50 or 60Hz with any 2-way bookshelf speaker that has smaller than a 6-inch driver.

I would also add there is very few towers that wouldn't benefit from adding a subwoofer. Even 3 way towers with multiple bass woofers don't have much output below 50hrz without distortion and breakup occuring. Just about any 2 way bookshelf really should be crossed at 80hrz to keep distortion lower and to keep headroom high, crossing a speaker low and with loud output can really drive distortion up.

So even if some of these bookshelfs listed have response down to 47hrz like the Arx A1b, it would still be advised to keep them crossed at 80 and if output is need even more than 100hrz is wiser.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Yes the sm450 is terrific speaker at that price and yes, it will benefit from being paired with a sub!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts