AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I know $150 is not alot to get some decent speakers with - but im looking to get a pair of speakers for my dad to watch movies with that are as good as 150$ can get me.

Looking on Amazon I came up with this: Sony SS-F6000

The room is just a den, and the listening distance is about 8 feet away. After consulting other website ive seen things from "pretty great" to "white van speakers," so I wanted to come here and get some opinions to see if there is something better for the price. I would be grateful for any help or advice. $150 for the pair is my budget...

Thanks for everyone's time!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeyoung
Hey Guys,

I know $150 is not alot to get some decent speakers with - but im looking to get a pair of speakers for my dad to watch movies with that are as good as 150$ can get me.

The room is just a den, and the listening distance is about 8 feet away. After consulting other website ive seen things from "pretty great" to "white van speakers," so I wanted to come here and get some opinions to see if there is something better for the price. I would be grateful for any help or advice. $150 for the pair is my budget...

hmm well if 150 is set in stone than the ssf-6000's would be just fine if your wanting floor standers .

or you can get some pioneer SP-BS41-LR bookshelves that would be a pretty good too

some facts though the Sony's are not white van speakers .

I had a pair and they were pretty dang good for the price .

the components used are the bottom of the barrel but for the price there selling that is expected .

good luck

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Without question I'd go to the used market. You'd be surprised what you can find for that money.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Quote:
Hey Guys,

You can get a pair of P162 from Crutchfield for that price by using a coupon.

Not saying they are the best for that price, but just throwing that hat into the ring.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Keep an eye on C list. I have found some awesome deals there.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLove
Craigslist.org

A pair of used primus 360 / 362's come to mind.
There are sometimes some good deals on craigslist, but it would take an incredible stroke of luck to find a pair of primus 362s up for 150.

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
3,018 Posts
Quote:
Hey Guys,

If your dad isn't picky about audio, the Sony SS-F6000's should be fine and being floorstanders with decent bass, he probably won't ever need a subwoofer to go with them.

For my own budget HT setup, I'm getting Sony SS-B3000's but I plan to pair them up with a sub. If I was going to drop the sub from my setup, I would probably upgrade to the SS-F6000 or maybe F7000.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ
There are sometimes some good deals on craigslist, but it would take an incredible stroke of luck to find a pair of primus 362s up for 150.
That's how I got my 360's (and the price I paid).

I think the OP is *really* close to where he needs to be, but going up $50 more would let him get an OK sub off craigs or a pawn shop ($100 would let him order a decent one from Parts Express). Combine that with a pair of 162's, or Behringer 2030p's and You've actually got a decent 2.1 system for a small room for $200-$250. I just don't think he's gonna get LF, new, at $150.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
1 - 20 of 42 Posts