AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best pattern to check the maximum brightness (luminance) of a display?

I'm trying to compare several displays to see which one is the absolute brightest. (the displays are car stereo units which will be placed in a car and have indirect/direct sunlight so I want to see which display is the "brightest" out of all of them)

I think I want a "white" APL pattern but I can't seem to find any. Most of them are gray with a range of 10% - 100%.

If I do need a white APL pattern, where can I find one? (I'd like still images and/or DVD based)

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
You don't need APL patterns on LCD displays. APL patterns are mainly for plasmas. Just use a 100% white field or window. Are you measuring or going by eye? If you measure, it would be good to include a full 10-100% run which would show up gamma differences. If the gamma is very low, it will make the display appear brighter on average but at the expense of image quality.

I'm assuming car stereos are LED LCD based, but if the new ones are OLED or something else, conventional window patterns would work best.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply!

I'm still learning about calibration, but I was going to use my i1 Display Pro and HCFR software. The screens are definitely not OLED and I'm almost positive they are LED.

It sounds like a 100% White Field patten would be best then, right? If so, can I use the AVCHD Disc, Misc Patterns E, #16? (100% White Field) ...or is there something better? (the disc shows that as "unflagged", whatever that means)

I'm unsure about the 10% - 100% run that you mentioned. Are you talking about a 10-step grayscale pattern? (I can't find any 10-step "white" patterns) Are there any PNG/JPEGs with these patterns as well?

Lastly, if I want to create a single 100% image (PNG/JPG) instead of using the DVD, can I just create one by opening up an image editor and filling it with white and saving the image?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts