AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking on this group for 6 months plus, and am finally taking the plunge on buying a tv and posting all on the same day (almost).

I've been leaning toward the DLP, but just didn't think the technology was there, when I saw the HLN5065 at Best Buy. The colors seemed absolutely gorgeous and didn't see any trace of the pixelation that seemed to plague all the HLM series sets I've seen.

As a side note, I've taken my PC to my local TV shop (Now Audio Video, Raleigh, NC), and they were kind enough to let me put a few TV's through their paces. I tried the GW II and the HLM 507 and they both seemed to have their Pro's and Con's.

I walked away thinking I would get the Samsung if the HLN series because it had a slightly better picture, and more importantly the computer screen looked fantastic. The GW II's owner's manual indicated that you should *not* use the DVI for computers and that put me off some. They still let me hook up the PC, but the GW II didn't seem to have the intelligence to handle it when games changed resolutions. Also, the poor black levels on the GW II was a deal killer for me.

So, I'm supposed to buy the HLN507w tomorrow, but I made the mistake of going to another store just to look one last time, and sat down in front of the KF60-XBR800. I was simply stunned with it's clarity.

I did a comparison between that and the HLN601 and the XBR won hands down. The HLN601 had clay faces and just not pretty (DVD feed watching Star Wars II). As a side note, they both looked good with an HDTV feed, but I still think the XBR won out.

I'm sure the HLN wasn't tweaked, but for there to be that much difference has me wondering...

My question for the masters out there is which one of these TV's works better as a monitor? I'm pretending that I will do video development work on it, but I know the reality is I'm going to use it to play games ;). If I had to say, computer monitor clarity is approximately 30% importance, with TV viewing claiming the rest (the 3 infamous D's: SD, HD, and DVD).

Does anyone here have experience with using either as a PC monitor? Development and/or Games (PC, not PS2 nor XBox).

Thanks in advance,

B

PS. I debated which forum to put this request in, and I chose this one simply because I've lurked here more than anywhere else and I've read so many postings by a few of you I feel I almost already know you.

Does anyone else wonder why they have LCD's and Plasma's paired, when it would seem to me that DLP's and LCD's are much more comparable in price and capability. Give CRT's and Plasma's their own groups... Just a thought..

·
Registered
413 Posts
From what reading I've done on this forum, the GWII is better for PC hookup...if you're a tweaker that is.

The GWII can apparently be difficult to get working as a monitor at all, but with some perseverence you can get it almost perfect. The Samsung, I've read, is almost as easy as plug and play, but what you get isn't perfect. There's apparently a bit of overscan (not sure how significant) that is impossible (or nearly) to get rid of.

Again, this is just stuff I've picked up...I have no experience of my own to back it up (yet), but I think the overwhelming opinion is that there are just more options to adjust your set in the service menu of the GWII.

So I guess it comes down to whether or not you're more on the impatient/technically challenged (or disintersted) side, or more on the perfectionist/psychotweaker side.

If you're a perfectionsist and you don't mind putting in the work, my feeling is that you'll like the GWII better.

Motjes2 would be a good person to chime in about this, since he has both a Samsung and the GWII - and has hooked up his PC (with great success) to the Sony.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for your reply.

I did some wheeling/dealing, and I had agreed to buy the HLN507 for 3500 today, but I'm having some second thoughts on which way to go...

I'm fairly computer literate, but sometimes have the attention span of a hummingbird. I have used PowerStrip, and did get the PC to display on both sets. I'm guessing the GW II required a little more subtle tweaks to get it right.

I think this is something I'd enjoy playing with to a point, but I think I'm like some others here. If I am spending the kid's college fund, I do want it to look darned good pretty quickly.

Thanks again...

B:)

·
Registered
714 Posts
I'm not sure about the GWII, but with the Samsung you won't have to worry about screen burn in at all. In my mind, that makes it better for a computer monitor, since there is likely to be static parts of windows that are displayed for a long time. It would be awful to spend all of that money, and then get screen burn.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
I can't say anthing about the Sony, but I have the 507w, and it is an amazing computer monitor. Looks great, deals with the change in resolution between native 1280x720 and the 800x600 some games feed it. As someone mentioned, the one problem is the slight overscan.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I appreciate you guys chiming in...

I have the propaganda material here on the GW II, and it says you don't have to worry about burn in either with their technology.

That statement runs counter to what I had thought. Do LCD's experience burn? Or more specifically, do the XBR's experience burn?

Bill

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I sent this to kasarah (PM) and though it was good to share with others that might be in the same situation...

I read the thread you posted. The thread touches on the important differences between the two models (GWII/DLP). Since you will be using the TV for playing games, I believe the Sammy has an advantage over the GWII. My primary function is not games with the GWII. It has been impossible to get the GWII to resolute to 800x600 w/ powerstrip. I have not tried very hard on this because it is not my main interest.

I saw that someone posted that it was easy to get this on the Sammy (on the same thread). Again, I have not connected the Sammy to my PC yet so I cannot confirm or deny this statement.

Again, having the advantage of having both TVs I can tell you that you cannot go wrong with either choice (in general). Now when it comes to specifics interest, it's more difficult to say one model is better than the other. I like both and I very happy with both. Good luck in your purchase...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Sean,

I put the money down today, and they're supposed to have the new HLN's in stock May 10th. I'm stoked!

I appreciate your response as it puts to rest the either/or issue.

Bill

·
Registered
239 Posts
kas, you are making a tough decision, the same one I made about 6 months ago. I ended up getting the samsung hlm507 dlp and I couldnt be happier about my decision. I play some games on it, the biggest problem I have found is that not a lot of games give you 1280x720 resolution as an option. I end up playing in 800x600 and it only looks marginal. Nba Live 2003 and NHL 2003 play in the native resolution and look absolutely amazing. LIke the others mentioned, there is a small amount of overscan but it does not bother me. Good luck with your decision!

·
Registered
807 Posts
Sounds like Bill already made his decision, so this is just to add a little info for those interested: On the GWII you can adjust overscan/underscan through the service menus (it's pretty simple). I'm running my 60" GWII at 1280x720 with 0% overscan. The display could be a little sharper though, things are slightly blurry and there is some ghosting of high-contrast edges (characters for example). Still, it works pretty well as a giant monitor. The SereneScreen aquarium screen saver looks awsome! (probably cheaper to just buy a real aquarium though ;) ).

-Rob-

·
Registered
963 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kasarah
Thanks Sean,

I put the money down today, and they're supposed to have the new HLN's in stock May 10th. I'm stoked!

I appreciate your response as it puts to rest the either/or issue.

Bill
You won't be disappointed! I don't use my HLM437 as a monitor regularly, but I was just playing around with PowerStrip last night. Running at 1280x720 through just the VGA port (not even DVI) is absolutely stunning!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So glad to hear all the positive responses related to HLN as a monitor.

I can't wait...

I know this is fodder for another thread, and probably a different group, but what is the best set up for playing PC based games?

I have a wireless mouse and keyboard, but do you use as a platform/desk?

I saw a coffee table that had a surface that came up and towards the couch that looked pretty cool. In my mind's eye, it looks like you may have to sit up and lean forward.

Bill

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.