AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had two ported ~6cu ft boxes with one NHT 083 in each tuned to 18hz powered by a BASH300 for about a year now. Here's a link to the build thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1128583

As you can see, I was pretty limited on box size at the time. After spending way too much time on these forums, I've started to get the itch for some DIY. My current setup has good sound and goes into the teens, but is lacking SPL-wise (and I want something new
.) I'm wondering if some of you more knowledgeable DIY'ers can give me some ideas for something new.

First off, a link to driver parameters: http://home.comcast.net/~jhidley/Kli...I_Detailed.htm

Now, I know this is probably a silly question, but here goes anyway:Could these conceivably be used in a THT?
I have the plans, and I know it calls for a 12" or 15" driver, but what would happen if I used a 10"? I know, I know, the table tuba can utilize a 10"er, But I don't have the plans for a TT, and I'd like to use what I already have minus building materials. Or maybe a new horn design based around these drivers? I'm fairly flexible when it comes to size. I'd like to join the horn craze, but you know the wife: "Why do you need new speakers? We need that money for groceries. I have to have gas to get to school." You know. The usual nonsense

Is this driver suitable for horn use? Can anyone tell by looking at all those crazy numbers?

I would like to get more SPL, and I'm willing to sacrifice some on the lower end to get more "umph", ya know? I'm open to suggestions as far as horn, or another more efficient ported box. I'm trying to limit my budget as much as possible for now, but with tax returns coming in the near future, who knows? Throw some ideas out there

What can a guy do with two NHT 083's?

Any ideas, guys?

Ryan

·
Registered
301 Posts
If you are looking for lots of spl you might be on the right track with a tht/horn idea. If the tht can be modified to have 2 tens or if you can get one of the horn gurus to model you a horn with dual 10s you could build a beast.

Is your main goal spl or low frequency? ALso, how much room can you take up with the new box?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgilmer /forum/post/18138866

If you are looking for lots of spl you might be on the right track with a tht/horn idea. If the tht can be modified to have 2 tens or if you can get one of the horn gurus to model you a horn with dual 10s you could build a beast.

Is your main goal spl or low frequency? ALso, how much room can you take up with the new box?

Well, I'd like to be able to have some pretty solid bass down to around 20hz if possible. My current setup will do around 15hz before it pretty much drops off completely. Problem is, it seems to hit it's excursion limits before hitting my bass limits. So, I'd like to try SPL over extension this time.

Size-wise, I have a space about 32"x28"x90" on both sides of my TV. Not sure how happy the wife would be if I used all that space, and the cost of lumber might be a little much, but I could probably do one box about that size, or two smaller ones...

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
EricH asked if these could be used in a horn since he has 12 just laying around. And he was told it wouldnt be a good idea. So i would ditch the horn idea trying to use these drivers. I thought about it myself since i have 3 collecting dust but its not worth it IMO to just get mediocre performance. If you had 6cuft ported per sub then thats about as good as its going to get that may have even been too much volume. I only had 12.7cuft total volume after port, driver, bracing, and amp displacements for 3 of them. And it did great down to 15hz with still solid useable output to 13hz. Maybe just throw a 3rd into the mix?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dunno. I think my addiction is getting worse. I'm getting the shakes. Twitching uncontrollably. I'm now contemplating ordering a couple Fi 18's for my loooong overdue IB, and letting my wife find out when they show up. Heck, why not all 4 now? I deserve it, don't I?

I guess I want something to tide me over till I can scrape the money together for an IB. I just figured there had to be a better way to make use of these drivers. Something more streamlined, more......better. Awesomer

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
HAHA, im with you except im jonsin to make some new mains and center. Yea since your end goal is an IB why not just start piecing that together? Too bad your PRO-IB and the THT isnt an option. That would be your best bet to save ALOT of money. Since the budget is an issue it would be an almost uncomparable upgrade to get you that great performance. After hearing it you may completely forget about the IB since the THT is truely an all around sub. I know my THT made my 3 083's seem like a whoopi cusion. I doubt the IB will give you the musicality you will want. Thats if you use your setup for music as well like most of us do. Just a thought
. How many more of the JVC 3x5's do you have? I know you ordered 1million tweets but wasnt sure on the drivers. If you had a bunch left id trade you some of them for an 083. We could both just pay shipping. Anywho its a tough decision and just do what feels right to you.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by reecew /forum/post/18139363

HAHA, im with you except im jonsin to make some new mains and center. Yea since your end goal is an IB why not just start piecing that together? Too bad your PRO-IB and the THT isnt an option. That would be your best bet to save ALOT of money. Since the budget is an issue it would be an almost uncomparable upgrade to get you that great performance. After hearing it you may completely forget about the IB since the THT is truely an all around sub. I know my THT made my 3 083's seem like a whoopi cusion. I doubt the IB will give you the musicality you will want. Thats if you use your setup for music as well like most of us do. Just a thought
. How many more of the JVC 3x5's do you have? I know you ordered 1million tweets but wasnt sure on the drivers. If you had a bunch left id trade you some of them for an 083. We could both just pay shipping. Anywho its a tough decision and just do what feels right to you.

Honestly, I have been seriously considering a THT, but I've been planning an IB for about 4 or 5 years now, and I think that if I did a THT, I would end up feeling like I made a compromise. You know how it is, "this is nice, but what if...."

If I thought I could get my money back out of the THT, I would no doubt start planning my build today. But I fear that unless I was lucky enough to find someone that was already familiar with the THT nearby, I'd take a big loss on it. I live in Southern Oklahoma for God's sake. No one around my neck of the woods cares about home theater. I don't need a speaker graveyard in my garage.

If I thought the THT would play nice with an IB, well, that's a whole different ball-game. THT for low and loud. IB for REALLY low. It seems like I've read, though that horn subs don't really get along with other subs...

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
I'd say you should find 2 more of those 083's and use two per 6 cu ft and tune it around 18-20hz.

6 cu ft would allow you to easily do 3 if you went sealed. Not sure if you can find a way to get 3 in your enclosure size though. But that would give you six total and be quite loud. each side would be 4 Ohms too. There are 083's floating around that some may have for sale.

I'd first try a pair in each 6 cu ft enclosure (ported). Or try a pair in two sealed 4 cu ft enclosures.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I kinda agree with your approach on the IB and Erich's idea of going sealed with the NHT's for some serious MidBass SLAM. I'd build two 2cuft enclosures and install one 083 in each sealed. Put the amp in one box and use the other as the passive slave. Move em around the front soundstage till you get the sweet spot. Then when $$$ allows add the IB for 40hz on down performance. The above mentioned setup should give you pretty flat response to 35hz at 110db.......pretty not bad IMO.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the ideas, guys. I have considered trying the 083's in sealed boxes, but I don't want to loose that much low end until I have a suitable replacement. I've been trying to decide what I can afford. Looks like I may have to spend some moolah on a new AV receiver, so IB's starting to fall out of my price range again. I wish all these guys would shut up about their THT's
I've almost decided to build one of them, instead. I like the idea of having more bass than I can handle. Wonder how many Fi 18's I would need in an IB to get SPL's like a THT....

Anyone have any direct experience with both the THT and a capable IB? I'm curious how they compare.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.