AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELP!! Normally I have months to research decisions like these but our TV just went out and wife wants replacement ASAP. I'm hoping one of you forum members who has researched this can help me out. What is the best performing, bang-for-the-buck 37" LCD? (I cannot go larger as it won't fit in entertainment center)

I am looking for the highest quality image and best response time for the buck...a product that consistently wows reviewers and users. I will be running this through an HTPC so I place a high value on ease of intergration / performance with PCs. I place almost NO value on a sets tuner, speakers, or scaling capabilities (this is the job of my HTPC and surround system).

To be honest I have no clue if I need 1080p or not. Would like to know if I can tell the difference viewing from ~8-10ft back. Also, whether one format is better than another for HTPCs (DVDs, heavy gaming, TV scaling and playback). Please provide your recommendation (and links to quality reviews / posts if you have them).

Thanks~

·
One-Man Content Creator
25,501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdyoung75 /forum/post/0

HELP!! Normally I have months to research decisions like these but our TV just went out and wife wants replacement ASAP. I'm hoping one of you forum members who has researched this can help me out. What is the best performing, bang-for-the-buck 37" LCD? (I cannot go larger as it won't fit in entertainment center)

I am looking for the highest quality image and best response time for the buck...a product that consistently wows reviewers and users. I will be running this through an HTPC so I place a high value on ease of intergration / performance with PCs. I place almost NO value on a sets tuner, speakers, or scaling capabilities (this is the job of my HTPC and surround system).

To be honest I have no clue if I need 1080p or not. Would like to know if I can tell the difference viewing from ~8-10ft back. Also, whether one format is better than another for HTPCs (DVDs, heavy gaming, TV scaling and playback). Please provide your recommendation (and links to quality reviews / posts if you have them).

Thanks~

Westinghouse LVM-37w3 has a lot of happy HTPC, console, gamer users, as well as those like me who use it for DVD playback. No tuner. See the sticky at the top of this forum.

-Bill

·
Registered
855 Posts
I just purchased a Westinghouse LVM-37w3 for use with a PC primarily for games. I don't play first-person-shooters so I can't talk about that set of requirements (extreme frames per second). The monitor works great for everything I've thrown at it (DVDs, video conferencing, real-time strategy games) using a NVidia 8800 GTS card set to ouput 1080p/60 via DVI. I don't use the monitor's speakers and it has no tuner. I sit

·
Registered
58 Posts
You might want to check out my thread that I posted just after yours today

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=792593

I'm interpretting your "bang for the buck" reference to mean you are looking for value. If so I have a similiar situation, though I do care more about sound, a tuner, etc. I narrowed it down to two, the olevia 537H already listed, and the polaroid FLM-3732. I decided that I don't care about 1080p (esp since my video system is a wii, which doesn't need it). Seems to me that 1080p on a 37" is overkill anyway. I'm looking at this 37" set as my first toe dip in the pool, I'll use it a couple years, figure out what I need & don't need, benefit from further tech improvements (hopefully in the areas of LCD black & motion rendering in particular), and then get the big honkin' set then, with a stand/center to match, putting this one in the basement or wherever.

Oh and by the way if that entertainment center has a 37-40" maximum width allowance (like mine, and I think a lot of others that were maybe made for 32" or 36" CRTs) you'll find that you'll have to get a set with speakers below instead of on the side. It might look better in an older entertainment center anyway (as it is you'll have lots of space at the top). Finally, I know that there are monitors (no tuners) that are lower prices than what I was looking at ($*00ish). I think I remember circuit city has a monitor on sale this week for a pretty good price (sorry i didn't pay much attention cause its not what i'm looking for)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.