Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a DELL Dimension 9100 3.0ghz, 512 RAM, and a Geforce PCI-e 6600GT 128MB video card.

I also just bought the massive Dell 2405FPW 24" Widescreen LCD.

Now, I have about 100 full quality dvds on my hard drive (i know, lots of HDD space) as .vobs and such.

My question is this:

What programs should I use to get the best quality from my equiptment? Do I need to get those purevideo decoders? I alerady have Poweredvd 6. Im a relative newbie to hi-rez monitors and movie watching, but I am willing to do whatever it takes to get the best picture after I bought this monster of a monitor. I will be gaming, watching dvds of my hard drive, and dvds from my dvd drive in my computer.

So really I leave it up to you!

What do I do to get the best bang for my buck?

Thanks!

PS: I will be using the DVI connection.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
After trying many different configurations with a 6600 GT system, I just use the Nvidia audio and video decoders, and the nStantMedia player that comes with the decoders. This provides me with the best DVD and HD picture quality. With your setup, you shouldn't be concerned with ffdshow.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
If he is concerned with getting the best picture quality then why wouldn’t he want to use ffdshow? Granted 24†is not massive. 105†Plasma! Now that is massive! He has a powerful enough machine. There is no reason for him not to use ffdshow with either the Nvidia Decoder or Descaler 5 with Zoom Player.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the "decoders" you guys are talking about...are those the ones I have to buy separately? I think theyre $49.99 on the nvidia page.

Or do you mean some decoder that came with my 6600gt?

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoore09
the "decoders" you guys are talking about...are those the ones I have to buy separately? I think theyre $49.99 on the nvidia page.

Or do you mean some decoder that came with my 6600gt?
We're referring to the decoders at the following page. They are the ones that cost $50 to buy.
Nvidia Decoders

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgxsvcd
Descaler 5 is free!!!
Sure, but he has an Nvidia 6 series video card and would benefit greatly from PureVideo.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, so the decoders are a go. Thanks.

What program do I use ? ZOOMPLAYER?

If so, do I just select PUREVIDEO as the decoder in the setup?

And will Zoomplayer do an spdif passthrough from my soundcard with an optical output?

THANKS!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSmith83
Sure, but he has an Nvidia 6 series video card and would benefit greatly from PureVideo.
This route will not let you use ffdshow, once you use the hardware acceleration you cannot use ffdshow.

peace

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMJEDI
This route will not let you use ffdshow, once you use the hardware acceleration you cannot use ffdshow.

peace
Another reason not to use ffdshow, which is my point exactly.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
$49.95????? I paid $19.95 for the decoders last year and a free upgrade to ver 1.02.

What a rip!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketech
$49.95????? I paid $19.95 for the decoders last year and a free upgrade to ver 1.02.

What a rip!!!!!!
I agree. The video decoder should even be free if we had already bought one of their cards. They should only charge for the audio decoder.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.