AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, after doing a pretty fair amount of research, I am leaning more and more towards purchasing a Pioneer...

I am quite confused as to how the models all layout though. The Elite Series vs Pro, etc....so to alleviate my confusion, I am asking forum members to rank their top 4 Pioneer sets (by series). I believe I will be going for a 60", so maybe that will help. Let's eliminate the price thing. The only criteria I am interested in is overall picture quality. Do you guys mind to shed some light? Any help will be GREATLY appreciated! Sorry if this is a dumb question....

PS if you want to throw out some reasons as to why you rank the sets as you do, I would be greatly appreciative as well....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
man I figured people would jump all over this one.... unless there's a similar exhaustive thread out there somewhere that I couldn't find...

Anyone?

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Considering they are out of the plasma business it's a moot point. Kinda like asking what are the best Fujitsu models. It makes no difference. It's just reminiscing about what was.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no offense, but it wouldn't be moot if I were in the market to purchase one, would it? There are still places to purchase some of these models, right? Even though Pioneer is out of the business, I still feel like it's really worth looking at what they have (had) to offer...

·
Registered
2,316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/18292890

Considering they are out of the plasma business it's a moot point. Kinda like asking what are the best Fujitsu models. It makes no difference. It's just reminiscing about what was.

You can still purchase brand new Fujitsu displays in retail stores?

·
Registered
885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/18293541

Never mentioned that. What you said doesn't make sense.

The OP said he's "leaning more and more towards purchasing a Pioneer," and Pioneers are still available. You compared Pioneer to a display brand that isn't available, a comparison that's totally irrelevant to the OP's desire to learn more about specific Pioneer models that he could buy.

So tbird's post makes every bit of sense.

·
Registered
885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadsherk /forum/post/18292533

OK, after doing a pretty fair amount of research, I am leaning more and more towards purchasing a Pioneer...

I am quite confused as to how the models all layout though. The Elite Series vs Pro, etc....so to alleviate my confusion, I am asking forum members to rank their top 4 Pioneer sets (by series). I believe I will be going for a 60", so maybe that will help. Let's eliminate the price thing. The only criteria I am interested in is overall picture quality. Do you guys mind to shed some light? Any help will be GREATLY appreciated! Sorry if this is a dumb question....

PS if you want to throw out some reasons as to why you rank the sets as you do, I would be greatly appreciative as well....

1. The term "PRO" is just part of the actual designation of the Elite series - for example, a Pioneer Elite PRO-141FD Monitor. or a Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD Display.

2. There are four 60" Pioneer models from the final 9th Generation: Pioneer 6020FD display, Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD display, Pioneer Elite PRO-141FD Monitor, and Pioneer KRP-600M Monitor. You can learn more about them at the following comprehensive comparison link:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1126267

As for picture quality, the Pioneer Elite PRO-151FD display and Pioneer Elite PRO-141FD monitor are the best out of the box, because they have Pioneer's "Pure" video mode that is widely regarded to be extremely accurate. They also have ISFccc Day, Night and Auto Modes that were developed in conjunction with the Imaging Science Foundation, an organization that sets calibration standards, although the ISFccc modes have to be activated either by relatively inexpensive third-party software or a professional calibrator who uses the software. Pioneer claims that the Elite PRO-141FD is assembled from hand-picked components, implying that there is some sort of benefit to be had over their other 60" models, but I've never actually seen that benefit really quantified or confirmed on this forum.

The KRP-600M monitor at one point represented arguably the best value in Pioneer 60" displays, because it came with Pure video mode already installed, and also can have the ISFccc modes installed and activated by using relatively inexpensive third-party software. The "KRP patch" as it is called makes the KRP-600M very much the same as the two Elite models described above. Unfortunately, supplies of the the KRP-600M are essentially non-existent at this point and they have become nearly impossible to find.

The last model is the Pioneer 6020FD. It is the "basic" model with far fewer user controls available to adjust the picture, although there is again some relatively inexpensive third-party software that allows one to go into the Service menu and make some additional adjustments. But it too is still a great display.

So as far as picture quality goes, the PRO-141FD and PRO-151FD should be pretty much the same, the KRP-600M can be made to be pretty much the same as the the PRO-141FD and PRO-151FD, and the 6020FD is the least adjustable and thus the least accurate.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/18293541

Never mentioned that. What you said doesn't make sense.

My question makes perfect sense, as you can still purchase new Pioneers from certain retail and internet vendors, and you compared Pioneer availability to that of Fujitsu.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fantastic!

A huge THANK YOU to everyone! All my questions have been answered....other than why would anyone want a Fujitsu?

·
Registered
59 Posts
And just to add to p59teitel's most excellent post, for 50" Pioneer plasmas, the ranking would be:

PRO-101FD. a 9G Elite with 10G glass. "Hand-picked" glass/components are claimed to make it best(*). Pure and ISF modes. monitor only (no tuner or speakers or HMG). Longer warranty than KRP-500M (2 years in US, 3 years in Canada).

KRP-500M. like a PRO-101FD, a 9G with 10G glass, but no "hand-picked" glass/components. Pure mode. Can enable ISF modes with a patch (like KRP-600M). monitor only (no tuner or HMG), but can connect speakers (has a built-in amp). Was originally cheaper than PRO-101FD. 1 year warranty. Originally built for the pro-installer market. Never sold in Canada (although 600M was). Also not an "Elite" (just says Pioneer on the front, in case that matters to you).

PRO-111FD. a 9G (no 10G glass). Basically a smaller version of PRO-151FD. Pure and ISF modes. MLL/black levels generally considered a bit less than 101FD or 500M since it doesn't have the 10G glass. full TV (tuner and speakers and HMG). Longer warranty than KRP-500M (2 years in US, 3 years in Canada).

PDP-5020FD. 9G non-elite. Smaller version of 6020. See p59teitel's comments on 6020.

...karl

(*) Pioneer implied it was supposed to be better. YMMV. Many claim not to be able to see any difference.

·
Registered
885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomo /forum/post/18296983

like kbrumund said:

a PRO-101FD or a KRP-500M

end of story.

The OP said he wants a 60" display, so it looks like his story is going to end differently than yours.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
if you can find them. the 60" models...

600M with Turbe's ISFccc patch

Pro141

Pro151

50".....

500M with Turbe's ISFccc patch

Pro101

Pro111

·
Registered
85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dssturbo1 /forum/post/18297728

if you can find them. the 60" models...

600M with Turbe's ISFccc patch

Pro141

Pro151

50".....

500M with Turbe's ISFccc patch

Pro101

Pro111

Hmm. Is your ranking PQ-wise???

I always thought the 600M w/ ISFccc patch = Pro-141FD (and the same for the 50" version).

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by p59teitel /forum/post/18297472

The OP said he wants a 60" display, so it looks like his story is going to end differently than yours.

True, but he also said:

"The only criteria I am interested in is overall picture quality".

I have the 600m myself. Would love to have a 500m (too).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts