AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what some of your thoughts are as to where the best place to buy DVDs is (on the internet). I have seen many people with huge collections, some even in the thousands ($20 a DVD multiplied by 1000 DVDs is $20000!). Also, are those subscription type services good?

Thanks!

HDCblGuy

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm always checking e-bay for movies, recently I picked up a new copy of Akira for 10.00. Columbia House has special offers that a lot of folks, including myself, have taken advantage of.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Deep Discount DVD seems to have the best prices including shipping, but I have not yet purchased from them. I used to buy from BUY.COM, but no longer will as I am still waiting for my copy of The Phantom Menace that I pre-ordered months ago. Those *******s still think it's on the way! Try this site for price comparison:

www.dvdpricesearch.com

>>>>

Wow, this new forum software automatically censors language! I didn't even know that was a foul word!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
DVDFile lets you put in a title and it shows you who has the lowest price on that particular movie.:D :D :D

·
Registered
564 Posts
If you play it right, you can get movies from Columbia House DVD Club for about $10 each. You sign up, get 5 movies for 50 cents, one for $15, and two more for $20. Then, you cancel your membership. In all, you can get 8 movies for $80.

Check out DVD Talk for more info.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Burke,

Why would you cancel your membership? Don't they (Columbia House) offer future deals on DVDs?

HDCblGuy

·
Registered
581 Posts
Try your local Blockbuster video they have sales sometimes on previously viewed dvd. Not all BBV have the same prices They have 2 dollars off sales sometimes when the shelves start getting full.

I got Crouching tiger and a few others for 7.99 each after the 2 dollars off.

Hugo

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Previously viewd DVDs at Blockbuster

half.com (a division of Ebay)

Amazon (for used DVDs)

Steve

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm just starting to actually assemble a collection of my own DVDs, rather than renting.

Regarding where to buy...

As I browse around various web sites that sell DVDs, I notice that some offer a less complete selection than others.

Q1: WOuld anyone suggest an internet seller of DVDs that is widely regarded as offering a large selection? Is there any site that just has every DVD movie?

Sometimes there are multiple releases of the same title. Sometimes, I think, these multiple releases are "special editions" vs. "ordinary editions". Sometimes, I think, I see different issuers, e.g., the Fred Astaire movie, "Royal Wedding". Perhaps, there are newer examples, too, although I don't understand how this can happen. (sidebar question: Aren't the rights for a movie owned by a single studio or owner? So, why would they let some competing issuer sell the same movie?)

Q2: When there are multiple issues of the same title, do the different issues represent different transfers, and thus, differences in quality of the movie itself?

Q3: Is there a DVD seller site that one can shop at and have confidence that one is being presented with all the options that exist for a particular title?

Q4: Considering both number of titles offered, and completeness of multiple issues of the same title to be more important than price alone, would that affect your answer to Q1?

THank you for any comments.

DG

·
Registered
588 Posts
HDCblGuy,

Regular Columbia House prices for members are okay, but not as good as the possible $9.38 per title that you can achieve if you choose the correct intro offer and execute the two full price DVD's at the best non-discounted price. So, many people, including myself, quit the club and rejoin. There are no specific restrictions against rejoining at a later date. The drawback of Columbia House is that you have to wait for the new titles to move to the introductory offer list. It is good for picking up DVD's that have been out for a while.

To all:

As far as purchasing DVD's from other retailers, for major releases, I have been checking Best Buy and Circuit City on the day of a release because they have become competitive with the pre-order prices for that weekend only (sometimes longer). Also Sam's Club and Wal-mart try pretty hard to compete.

When I order online, I almost always go with DeepDiscountDVD . The shipping is included in the price, so you don't have to order 3 or 4 titles to get a break on the shipping. And DeepDiscountDVD, when they sell the title you want, almost always has the lowest price when you include the shipping costs from other retailers.

For the current shopping season, I heard an advertisement on the radio that Blockbuster is offering a buy 2 used DVD's and get the 3rd used DVD free . But, I have not been to any of the stores yet to confirm the availability of those used DVD's.

Finally, you can find out about good deals and discounts, including Brick&Mortar retailers, from the DVD Price Search site -Pat

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
You are too late. Anyone else remember the dvdtalk.com coupon days?

There was a new coupon every days :)

My average cost per DVD: $7

I own over 450 now.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I miss those days of pricematching and coupons. I remember picking up a copy of Apollo 13 for a measly 13 cents after applying a coupon and a pricematch. But then again, guess thats why they arent around any longer.

For non new release titles the best deal by far is to go with Columbia house DVD club. You can have up to 2 concurrent memberships and sign back up immediately after fulfilling the membership and cancelling. (That ends up being a much better deal than staying a member, their member deals are so so). You end up getting about 8 DVD's for less than $90. Unfortunately they dont offer any Fox titles and a few assortment of other titles but if they have what you are looking for you cant beat the price. Plus when I sign up online for a new enrollment I usually receive my initial package of 4-6 discs within a week, give or take a couple days.

As for as etailers, the best price for most items is DeepDiscountDVD and I'm happy with their service for the most part, but I find that they dont seem to ship out til a few days after they send me a shipping email and I've had 2 separate order that they said they shipped but never arrived. But in their defense, I emailed them on both occasions and they immediately sent out replacements for those discs MIA.

Exceptionally good online deals have gone the wayside, I would venture to guess due to pressure to make profits but if you keep your eyes open online you can come accross some good deals at different etailers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.