AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Depends on what you are looking for doesn't it?

What do you mean by HD?

TV, RPTV, FPTV, Plasma?

Need a decoder? DiSH vs DirecTV?

Need an antenna?

have anything in mind yet?

Need more info.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for the lack of info.

Basically I'm looking for an 16:9 RPTV about 50". I have a tuner and antenna already installed, but right now I'm only watching the feed on a non-HD capable TV.

Thanks.

·
Registered
979 Posts
You should look at lots of places and decide for yourself. Stock and selection seems to vary widely. Some places to go:

Erols TV (Ravensworth, Braddock at I-495)

Belmont TV (Route 7, Alexandria)

Sears

Myer-Emco

Best Buy (warning: many TVs are not set up correctly for HD)

--Gerald C

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Don't Forget Circuit City. As with BB many HDTV's are not setup correctly.

Also, if you have not already. I suggest you self educate yourself on the different HDTV brands and models (ex. connection hook up; actual resolution of set; picture quality,etc.)You can start hear at AVSFORUM.

Often, too many sells people don't have a clue about HDTV and could lead you down the wrong path. Worst yet, even discourage you from buying a HDTV

all together.

·
Registered
20 Posts
And the Big Screen Store (several in the area) for mitsubishi sets. Be cautious of Belmont, I've read a number of threads of people feeling very pressured in their purchase decision. FWIW.

thanks, nick

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I bought my set at the Myer Emco at Tyson's Corner. The manager there, Scott, is very knowledgeable and they have all the types (DV, RP, Plasma) set up properly for you to look at. They also carry most of the major brands. Scott will match any price from an area store, including BB, CC and The Big Screen Store. These guys have been in the mid-to-high end audio and video business for a lot of years and have always resolved any problem I have ever had.

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

·
Registered
388 Posts
Dave,

The last time I was in Meyer Emco they only had one HD set showing OTA WETA. I asked why they could not get DirectTV and show the demo channel. I got a blank stare from the salesman. Basically, they could not demonstrate HD on their sets.

Best Buy just lowered the price on the Toshiba 40H80 to around $2200. They are also offering free delivery, and a free leather chair and ottoman this week. I have the set and it is excellent.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I was in Myer Emco last Friday and they had the Mitsubishi and Toshiba STB's connected up and were getting ready to hook up the Sony HD100.

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Dave,

I'm a big fan of Myer-Emco, but your post brings up a very important issue: To have a successful shopping experience, you need to find that indivdual who has the knowledge and passion needed to steer you and treat you right.

My experience has taught me that these special folks can be found at all levels of retailing, from high to low end. I've found more of these special folks at Myer-Emco, but they might be at Sears or BB. And the opposite is true - you will find inexperienced staff on the floor at Myer-Emco.

Bottom Line for me: I deal with People, not companies

------------------
J.Mike
Enjoying HDTV in DC (for now)

My DVD Collection
My Home Theatre

[This message has been edited by J.Mike Ferrara (edited 03-27-2001).]

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
J.Mike,

I agree and I never intended to imply otherwise. All I can do on this forum is relate my personal experience. That's why I specified which Myer Emco and which person to talk to. I have been dealing with this person for over 20 years, first at another shop, and for the last 5 at M-E. I have also found knowledgeable people at BB, CC and Sears, but it has been an exception, not the norm. I have also found "inexperienced salesmen" at M-E.

------------------

Dave B.

ODAT

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.