AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best place to buy Taiyo Yuden DVD-Rs?

· Registered
977 Posts
Most folks here seem to recommend Rima or Supermediastore online.....

Also...if you can find MIJ Sony 8x DVD+R's at Sear's or other Brick and Mortar stores they are usually made by Taiyo..... Find a sale somewhere and Sear's will pricematch if you bring the salespaper in with you.

· Registered
2,606 Posts
Believe it or not I've found Sony's MIJ at Walgreen's Drug Stores & maybe it's because they don't have a big turnover on them even when they are on sale.

Also Staples is another place that will Price Match & give you 10% of the difference.

· Registered
862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullOnShred /forum/post/0

Most folks here seem to recommend Rima or SuperMediaStore online.....

The only other online place I would suggest is Meritline. All three are very good though, so check each out and see who may have a deal at the time you are ready to purchase.

Also, make sure you get the ones marked "Premium" line instead of "Value" line. The Value line ones I have used in the past have worked fine, but the Premiums would probably have better longevity and are a better grade. Some sites will literally label them so you know which is which, and with other sites you can usually tell "Value" because they are cheaper. Premium won't break the bank though, so don't worry.

· Registered
2,606 Posts
Walgreen's doesn't Price Match & they are uaually a few $ more than the other stores on their Sale Prices but I think it's worth it if it's for the MIJ discs.

This may also very by areas & stores & how much volune the store does so I would guess sooner or later that all the Sony's will be coming from Taiwan.

So check those packages in the Back Row of the shelf

The last MIJ ones I got there were also the new x16 speed so you never know?

I usually use x4 TY's which I got from SuperMediaStore a while back but I will waste my money when I stumble across MIJ discs that are On Sale at a reasonable price.

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the help. I got my order placed. Also, this thread made me take a look at some discs I have. I do have alot of the MIJ Sony... They do show up as "TY"... The other Sony Discs I have are MIT... Show up as Sony Media Corp.

I ordered the 16X TYs and was wondering if I shouldn't have ordered the 8X? Sometimes the older items are better.

· Registered
977 Posts
Bill, the MIJ Sony 16x DVD+Rs I got about a month ago were Media Code SonyD21, not Taiyo T02s like the 8x MIJ Sonys. I read that most if not all major Media Manuf. were moving their DVD production to Taiwan so they can free up Japanese Mfg. for the new Blu-Ray and HD-DVD discs. When I found some MIJ Sony 8x +/-Rs at Sears this week I went on and bought 350 discs at $0.29 per disc OTD. That should hold me for a while.

· Registered
3,050 Posts
Although your order has been placed, for anyone else wondering the same thing, I'll add a third source to Supermediastore.com and Meritline.com (both places I've gotten Taiyo Yuden discs from): Rima.com. Although I have yet to place an order with them, I have seen many recommendations for them.

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the "Rima.com" tip, I am sure I will be ordering more in the future.

· Registered
977 Posts
I bought a 100 spindle of TY 8x DVD-Rs from Rima, and they came in just fine. I like the Sony branded TY02s because they are Pearl finish Tops which look very nice, and the outer edges of them seem to be finished a bit smoother than the White Printable Top TYs I got from Rima.

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TY02 TY03, what does this mean?

· Registered
862 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goots1 /forum/post/0

TY02 TY03, what does this mean?

It's actually TYG01, 02, & 03.

I believe it has to do with the speed of the discs. 4x speed is TYG01, 8x is TYG02, and 16x is TYG03.

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to evryone for the information. I ordered from Supermediastore I hope things go smooth. I ordered 200 of the 8X and 100 of the 16X. I hope these are as good as everyone says they are. I would hate to be left with something I couldn't use. All I can find around here are made in Taiwan. Nothing made in Japan. I have had really good luck with Sony and Maxell, Fugi and have found Sony to be about the most reliable in all my machines. TDK was good also except my Sony DVD Recorders don't like them always returns the error "Dirty Disk" when I put a blank in. I have also noted that beyond a shadow o a doubt the Verbatim 16X Discs burn way slow in my Sony Drive in my computer, they work well on the Samsung drive but the Sony Discs burn much faster int he Sony and work in the Samsung as well. Sure wish Sony stayed making them in Japan. I wanted Injet printable anyway. Can't find any Sony that are inkjet printable.

· Registered
977 Posts
goots, I didn't know you were looking for inkjet printables. I think you have ordered the best discs for your purposes. I am glad you went back and got some 8x. I am no expert, and who's to say the people who's posts I read are either, but in general I have read more positive comments with the 8x Taiyo versus the 16x. That is not to say that the 16x are not good discs,just that some people who "quality scan" recorded DVDs felt they got better results with the 8x discs. This can be due to a lot of factors, and the 16x should be just fine too.. FWIW, I bought the 8x White Inkjet Printables from Rima and am pretty happy with them.

Those ID's we mentioned are Media ID Codes. If you have Nero you can use the NeroInfoTool located in the "Toolkit". Insert the DVD, select NeroInfoTool, select the "Disc" Tab, select the DVD Drive in which your DVD is loaded, and then wait a sec. It will show you the Media ID Code for that Disc.

For example, the Sony 8x MIJ +Rs I bought ID as YUDEN000 T02. These Discs show available burn speeds from 2x all the way up to 16x, even though they are "rated" as 8x discs. The Taiyo White Inkjet Printable DVD-Rs from Rima are TYG02 and they show supported burn speeds from 2x up to 12x, even though they are "rated" as 8x discs. Again FWIW, I tend to burn my DVDs at 8x in occasions where I have control over burn speed.

If you don't have Nero but would still like to know your Media ID Codes, Google and download DVD Identifier, a free program that will do the trick.

Why bother? Well, there are some cases where I have bought DVD Blanks from a "name" company like Maxell on sale (50 for $10 or so). I get them home and find the Media ID Code is Ritek G05. I Google that code, find it has a pretty spotty reliability rating, and decide to return the discs. I guess these particular discs were on crazy sale for a reason.

Anyway, good luck with your Taiyo's. I hope/think you will like them.

· Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the info on the media ID , I do have NERO and have also downloaded DVD identifier. This is really good information. I figured I would go back to get some of the 8X discs because they may be totally different that the 16X and wanted to have a fair opinion of the brand.

· Registered
977 Posts
You are most welcome goots1, and I think you will be fine with both the 16x and the 8x. Your computer DVD Burner may be able to do "quality scans". I am not sure which burners do and don't support that. I am pretty sure my NEC 3500AG does not, at least not without a "hacked" firmware, and I am a bit wary of those. So I haven't investigated quality scanning as thoroughly as I likely would have if I had a compatible Burner. When I get my new computer (whenever that might be) I plan to make sure my DVD Burner is one that will allow quality scanning.

· Registered
4,748 Posts
I have purchased about 2000 T-Ys from Supermediastore, and another similar amount from Rima. I have never had an issue with either company and can recommend both. supermediastore has these which I like for the space savings, especially for series.

· Registered
3,340 Posts
For the past three years, I've purchased my TY discs (hundreds) exclusively from AvenDirect. Besides the usual web store, they have an eBay store which is very convenient for me because I can use PayPal funds earned on my own eBay sales to pay for the discs (you feel it less that way than when you use your normal credit card and the bill comes for 600 discs a month later
: using PayPal, I don't even notice the money going out
).

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.