AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi!

I'm building a new house and am having them pre-wire the surround sound in the basement for my future home theatre.
With that, I need to tell them where to put each speaker ahead of time. The part I'm having trouble deciding on is where to put the subwoofer. I realize that the best method is to move it around to see where it sounds best, but since I have to tell them where to have the RCA come out at, I figured I'd ask you guys!

I've included a layout of the room. All the wires will come out in the closet in the top right corner. I'm still deciding between a 110 and 120" projector screen, but it looks like I can fit the sub under the screen, next to the center channel if needed. I have 8' ceilings. The yellow circles are can lights, each set controlled by a different light switch.

Where do you think I should tell the builder's electrician to run the sub's cable to?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Hi!

I realize that the best method is to move it around to see where it sounds best, but since I have to tell them where to have the RCA come out at, I figured I'd ask you guys!
I think you answered your own question :)

Don't choose a location of the subwoofer simply based on the connector's location. You can always use a wireless transmitter (I believe they run $60-150 and some members have been using it for a while with no hiccups!)

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
I realize that the best method is to move it around to see where it sounds best, but since I have to tell them where to have the RCA come out at, I figured I'd ask you guys!
The only way to predict the best placement is using sophisticated room response modeling software. Another issue is that it's almost impossible to get uniform response over a wide area with only one sub.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the fast replies!

I think I'll just have it come out in the front 1/3rd of the room near one of the electrical plugs along the side walls (my sub is powered). That way it is out of the way of the front for a cleaner look.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I would run 4 cables, one to each corner of the room (not that you necessarily want your sub in the corner, it's just a convenient place to put it). Then you have flexibility to figure it out later, and will be pre-wired for multiple subs as well!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.