AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been kinda itching to get new front and center speakers for my HT system. I have a HTIB that came free with my TV, so Ive always figured I would upgrade eventually. Im moving to a new place soon and eventually Ill want new speakers. I was wondering what are some good places online that has speakers? It would be especially nice if some of these places had clearance or even open box or blem specials also. Im not in a huge hurry and it will be a bit before I have to money saved up anyway, so I can wait for the right deal. Id like to know some places to look though.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
"Amazon" only if the seller IS Amazon LLC. 2nd and 3rd tier sellers using Amazon as a store front are a different situation. Look for "free shipping" on Amazon speakers - shipping costs can raise the overall cost quite a bit.

another for the list is B&H Photo, but again watch for free shipping.

good source for Energy sales is www.wwstereo.com

·
Registered
42 Posts
Be careful of Craigslist. I see someone there constantly making up a story about how he needs to unload his brand new $1500-$2000 system for $2-300. He does have a balogna website listing it's retail as that, but it's a scam. And no, I didn't fall for it, I just researched the speakers to see if they were any good.

-Paul

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulForster /forum/post/18155262

Be careful of Craigslist. I see someone there constantly making up a story about how he needs to unload his brand new $1500-$2000 system for $2-300. He does have a balogna website listing it's retail as that, but it's a scam. And no, I didn't fall for it, I just researched the speakers to see if they were any good.

-Paul

Yeah Id probably be a bit leery of anything like that. Ive found that if its too good to be true it is.

Anyway those sites are good. Also FWIW Ill probably be looking for stuff that not commonly available at the best buy and such.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Be sure to check out your local retailer too. They sometimes have amazing deals. I just picked up a set of Paradigm Phatoms on sale for 66% off at my local shop.

·
Registered
111 Posts
They advertise on here and also have a current prom code of 15% off -- tv15 Some items are fairly discounted as well.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Everything mentioned here are good suggestions, but before you drop a dime on anything, I suggest you audition them personally first. It really doesn't matter how much you pay for them, if you don't like them then it's a hassle to sell and get other ones. You don't necessarily have to rely on only one brand either, there could be half a dozen different brands that you really like. This opens up your possibilities more in terms of available deals. Since you have lots of time, that's where I'd focus my energies on first - auditioning.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt_Krunch /forum/post/18156978

Everything mentioned here are good suggestions, but before you drop a dime on anything, I suggest you audition them personally first. It really doesn't matter how much you pay for them, if you don't like them then it's a hassle to sell and get other ones. You don't necessarily have to rely on only one brand either, there could be half a dozen different brands that you really like. This opens up your possibilities more in terms of available deals. Since you have lots of time, that's where I'd focus my energies on first - auditioning.

I was waiting to see this info. I second it.

OP if you listen to as many brands as you can you may come up with a few brands you like. There are some sick individuals here who have heard dozens and dozens of speakers/brands and can push you towards an online lineup that you can't hear in a store.

Find the type of sound you want. Speakers can sound drastically different from each other. I would hate to see you spend a fortune on speakers you don't love. The more you demo, the better off you are.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
good suggestions for sure and I will audition some speakers. Like I said there really not a solid time frame so I can look at a lot of stuff to see what I like. Only problem is Im kinda in the middle of nowhere and I have to drive 4 hours to the nearest metro ares that would have any decent audio stores. I will check some out though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.