1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
**Updated**

A friend wanted me to post this:

What she is looking for:

37" Plasma TV (required because of space) (Panasonic TH-37PA20U ? 3K)

Receiver (STR-DA2000ES ? $535)

Progressive DVD 5 changer(DVPNC555ES $450 ?)

Small wall mount speakers (Energy Take 5.2 ~$500)

Subwoofer (HSU VTF-2 $449)

She would like to spend: (= $4934)

$5,000 or less for the equipment (cables extra)

She doesn't play things loud, but likes full range quality sound. She doesn't have much space for speakers in the room, and for proper placement of the front left speaker it will need to be wall mounted higher then optimal for sonic quality.

**Updated, 42" will not fit, so going to 37"**

·
Registered
121 Posts
She will need to increase her bugdet if she wants an HDTV plasma. Try convincing her to try the EDTV 42" from panasonic. I believe Sony sells a HTIB that has a receiver with an integrated 5 disc dvd changer and 5 speakers for $300-$400. The model # is HTC800DP. Comes with a sub as well. Hope this helps.

Brian

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the 42" EDTV Panny. At typical viewing distances most people don't see any difference between the EDTV and the HDTV from Panny. I have the 6UY commercial panel since I didn't want the speakers and tuner that come with the consumer model. This is based on my viewing and comments from the plasma forum. The plasma forum will tell you more about plasma than you ever wanted to know.

I also have a Panny 5 disc DVD changer, a Denon 1803 receiver and 6 Take 5.2 speakers with the matched subwoofer. The receiver handles the plasma, a VCR, the cable box and the DVD player. We are not supposed to quote prices on the forum but if you purchase the above on line it fits your budget. The biggest savings would be on the plasma. Consumer audio is pretty price competitive, consumer prices on the plasma will set you back.

I asked a lot of questions on the various forums and decided on the above. I am not an expert by any means but if you are completely new this gives you a reference point to ask questions from. Have fun.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
She's better off going for a rear projection, maybe even a RP DLP or LCD. The non HD plasma is not good enough, in my opinion, for the money.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She's decided to go EDTV, and is considering the Panasonic TH-42PWD6UY. In the room she's using there is no room for a RPTV, she could not even fit a 13" TV. The Plasma will be wall mounted.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Panasonic TH-42PWD6UY Plasma

Panasonic XR45 Receiver

Panasonic DVD-F85S 5 Disk Progressive Scan DVD/DVD-A Player

Bose AM15 II 5.1 Home Speaker System

Nice little apartment friendly system for less than $5,000. And yes, I know I used the "B" word but based on budget, space, and "she" requirements, should be acceptable.

I just finished setting up a similiar system for a friend. Same plasma, Panasonic XR25 receiver instead of the XR45, and since they already had a Panasonic EMR60 DVD Recorder, I did not use the F85S, and yes I did use the Bose and it turned out to be a nice little system. I was really impressed with the Panasonic receiver.

-Skip

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is this a good setup in the 5K range:

Panasonic TH-37PA20U (37" Plasma TV {required because of space} $3K)

STR-DA2000ES (Receiver $535)

DVPNC555ES (Progressive DVD 5 changer $450 ?)

Energy Take 5.2 (Small wall mount speakers ~$500)

HSU VTF-2 (Subwoofer $449)

= $4934

The speakers have to be small. "Bose" is a four letter word! Any other speakers we should consider over the Energy Take 5.2?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.