AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on getting a new plasma this weekend.

I read the panasonics have some issue with the black levels or something and should avoid them.

I was considering the Samsung 58inch PN58B550. I am all ears if there is a better plasma for under $1600

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was leaning toward the Panasonic until I saw this on cnet

"Editors' note, February 9, 2010: According to user reports, which first surfaced on enthusiast Web site AVS Forum, this Panasonic plasma may lose black level performance noticeably over time. Panasonic has issued statement, admitting to changes over time but saying performance is still "excellent." While CNET reviewers have not been able to verify or refute either claim, we nonetheless do not recommend buying this TV"

Are these valid or are they no different than any other Plasma wear and tear??

·
Registered
2,272 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtjr92 /forum/post/18201356

I was leaning toward the Panasonic until I saw this on cnet

"Editors' note, February 9, 2010: According to user reports, which first surfaced on enthusiast Web site AVS Forum, this Panasonic plasma may lose black level performance noticeably over time. Panasonic has issued statement, admitting to changes over time but saying performance is still "excellent." While CNET reviewers have not been able to verify or refute either claim, we nonetheless do not recommend buying this TV"

Are these valid or are they no different than any other Plasma wear and tear??

.. its said that this is a firmware situation explained somewhere w/i the Forum; its mentioned that this 'intentional' deviation in the firmware (translated to black level lightness) will be a concern in the newer (2010) models also. No fix is expected as of this time.

Probably be best to go with the Samsung PN58B550; hopefully, you'll be 'one of the few' that have gotten a 'buzzer'.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Find a Pioneer. I was tempted to get a Panasonic, but the black level issue scared me away. I found a 5020 on eBay so hopefully it'll be worth it.

·
Registered
112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninety Four /forum/post/18201594

Find a Pioneer. I was tempted to get a Panasonic, but the black level issue scared me away. I found a 5020 on eBay so hopefully it'll be worth it.

I wish you good luck.

I am very pessimistic about buying electronics from eBay.

Will it have a warranty? Can you return it if it's broken? Do you know the reason why the seller is getting rid of it?

·
Registered
581 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninety Four /forum/post/18201594

Agreed, find a Pioneer. I'd call around to all your Best Buys with a Magnolia, and see if they have any, and how low they'll go. I got a display 5020FD, and it's fantastic.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45rpm /forum/post/18204404

I wish you good luck.

I am very pessimistic about buying electronics from eBay.

Will it have a warranty? Can you return it if it's broken? Do you know the reason why the seller is getting rid of it?

FYI

squaretrade will give you a warranty on ebay items. I talked to them the other day and for a 4 year warranty for a plasma at $1500 the warranty was $400. too much for me. They even said I could call any company to fix the tv and then they would reimburse you...

·
Registered
10,457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeg36 /forum/post/18204487

Agreed, find a Pioneer. I'd call around to all your Best Buys with a Magnolia, and see if they have any, and how low they'll go. I got a display 5020FD, and it's fantastic.

i agree! if u still want plasma

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodyda /forum/post/18205133

Simple....... Go to Costco and buy the LG 50ps30 for $850, if a 50" fits your needs, and enjoy the savings. If you use American Express it gives you a 3 year warranty at no extra cost
(2 years is the norm for Costco).

Costco doesn't have that model on their website, do they not list all the tv's they carry in store on their website?

Second I have read a lot of mixed reviews on the LG Plasmas....

·
Registered
48 Posts
I went to Sears to buy the 60" LG and I simply couldn't do it... the colors seemed muted and contrast seemed sub-par, hence the blacks were not what I was expecting. I simply could not pull the trigger. Instead I bought the 50" Samsung 550. I know it will do a good job with color, has very good contrast levels, and was much cheaper. Is still inferior to my Samsung 850 but it is supposed to be.

·
Banned
215 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtjr92 /forum/post/18202992

I hadn't heard good things about lg plasmas

Sorry I was joking. IMHO Samsung and LG are both lacking durability. Panasonic is really your only choice for plasma at that price range.

·
Registered
692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBATTY /forum/post/18207323

I had a 50" Samsung 860 delivered to my house for less than $1,400 and I am very happy.

May I ask you from where?

The cheapest I can find through Google Shopping search is $1449 from Socket 2 You.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panaman88 /forum/post/18208254

Sorry I was joking. IMHO Samsung and LG are both lacking durability. Panasonic is really your only choice for plasma at that price range.

I really was looking at the Panasonic's, but the consensus around here seem to be to avoid them right now with the issues they have been having with their black levels...

·
Registered
2,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtjr92 /forum/post/18208672

I really was looking at the Panasonic's, but the consensus around here seem to be to avoid them right now with the issues they have been having with their black levels...

I don't think that's the "consensus around here." The 2010 Samsung thread is at 11 pages (and half of the posts are by runner66), the 2010 LG thread is at 3 pages, and the 2010 Panasonic thread is at 97 pages.

What does that tell you?

If anything, I'd say that the "consensus around here" is that Panasonic is the best option.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.