AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya folks, long time lurker, first time poster :)

Anyway, I was wondering if there were any heavy-duty console video game players on this board and, if so, which is the best 42" plasma for gaming?

I plan to get one primarily for DVD viewing and game playing and since there is a wealth of opinions on the best DVD-friendly plasma but an acute lack of info on the best gaming-friendly plasma I'd appreciate some feedback.

Thanks!

ECM

·
Registered
182 Posts
They Pioneer 433HD is a good contender, especially if you are considering also using some PC games... However, burn-in is a issue with all Plamsa's, and I have seen temporarily "burns" after only ten minutes of pause picture. I have been told that this is not problem, but have some problems trusting just that...

The Panasonic has fallen dramatically in price the last months, and will probably continue to do so... It has 860x484 resolution, more than enough for videogaming...

The input box on the Pioneer is very good, though, but the screen is currently too expensive is you ask my wallet. ;)

Maybe you should wait for the new DLP 43" units, hitting the (US) streets in august / September? They have NO burn in issues, have 1280x768 Widescreen and cost about 4-5000 USD! I already regret my plasma purchase if these babies come out when planned.. They also use the newest HD2 chip from TI, with a contrast rate of 1500-1800:1 and super bright image! You replace the lamp yourself after about 4000 hours, easy from the back...

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
IMO, it just isn't worth buying a plasma primarily for video games. You have to be extremely careful to avoid burn in and this becomes very difficult as most games always have static elements to the screen design. Health bars (or even the text that says "Health" which remains constant even if your health does not), scores, speedos etc. are the culprits. If you can turn all of these off then the constantly changing image (as long as you're not playing pacman) should not cause a problem - but I doubt that you can on most games.

I would go with Jon's recommendation and look into the new DLP sets.

BTW, are you ECM from GF?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
plasmaprincess - IMHO I think you need to delve into the burn in issue a bit more. I am going to post a link in the other thread.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Hi Plasmaprincess, just thought - in your position where you may give advice to buyers - you might want to have burn in issues in mind when posting or giving advice/opnions on plasma for vid games. Could be an expensive mistake for some heavy vid game users.

BTW, when I said speedos I was thinking of speedometers and not the skimpy swimwear that some Europeans are fond of ;)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by divvy

BTW, are you ECM from GF?

lol, why yes, I am :)

Anyway, the impression I'm getting is that burn-in is still a very serious issue for plasma.

Damn. I really, really want one but since at least 50% of my primary use would be video games this is sounding less and less like a good idea.

Here's to praying that those 'burn-in proof' plasmas make it out soon :)

Thanks for the input folks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I use a Marantz DLP projector just because of the burn-in issue. Guess what my stewart filmscreen is about the same thickness as a plasma. HALO looks awesome although I get motion sickness if I play too long. At 100" for about the same price of a 50" plasma it can't be beat.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In college I used to play on an LCD projector incessantly--I remember firing up Street Fighter II (yes, this was a ways back) on SNES and playing with characters that were 3' tall on a massive 'screen' (actually, the wall in our dorm). Thing is, aren't the bulbs in any type of projector pretty damn expensive to replace? I don't know if I'm thrilled at the idea of replacing a bulb each year at a thousand+ a pop...

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think they are $500. I have watched my unit constantly since I got it (4 months or so and I have used half of the bulb life. Small price to pay to never have burn-in. $500 is a lot cheaper than 10k

·
Registered
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ECM
In college I used to play on an LCD projector incessantly--I remember firing up Street Fighter II (yes, this was a ways back) on SNES and playing with characters that were 3' tall on a massive 'screen' (actually, the wall in our dorm). Thing is, aren't the bulbs in any type of projector pretty damn expensive to replace? I don't know if I'm thrilled at the idea of replacing a bulb each year at a thousand+ a pop...

SHO-RYU-KEN!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.