AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been going crazy starting threads today, so some of you already may know that my 7 year old Pio 503CMX died a sudden death this morning.

I've been researching replacements, and the guys in the LCD forum have me all scared about another plasma because my living is very bright with lots of windows.

I had no issues with screen reflections with the 503CMX. Is there some reason to think I would have issues with current gen plasmas? If so, are there any screens that are best suited for this environment?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
So this is one of those instances where you may actually want to go into a bestbuy with its garrish lighting and see which plasmas do the best job getting hit with a lot of light.

Last gen Pioneers are good if you can find them. Panasonic have better filters the higher up you go on their product lines. Samsung may be alright if you don't mind image retention. You may also want to look into a TV Armor or similar screen protector. Look for an anti-reflective one which will probably run you around $300.

If considering Panasonic, make sure to check out the threads on rising black levels. This affects all panels between 2008-2010. Their 2011/12 models hopefully won't be affected, but only time will tell on that.

·
Registered
8,500 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stukoch /forum/post/18267198

I've been going crazy starting threads today, so some of you already may know that my 7 year old Pio 503CMX died a sudden death this morning.

I've been researching replacements, and the guys in the LCD forum have me all scared about another plasma because my living is very bright with lots of windows.

I had no issues with screen reflections with the 503CMX. Is there some reason to think I would have issues with current gen plasmas? If so, are there any screens that are best suited for this environment?

Watch this entire recent video. It will show you a lot about screen reflections with Plasma. Note that there is commentary in the video.

http://video.consumerreports.org/ser...tid=1280500146

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the video demo spyboy. I'm guessing the answer is that reflections haven't really gotten worse, but LCDs are just better. Thanks

·
Premium Member
18,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan10 /forum/post/18267245

The Panasonic's anti reflection coating is on par with LCD.

I don't know about that - some LCDs have matte screens and are much less reflective than the typical Panasonic plasma, while other LCDs have a glossy screen and are actually more reflective than the Panasonic.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I meant they were about the same as an average LCD.

I have 1 Panasonic plasma and 4 LCD tvs. The Panasonic is much better than the worst LCD for reflections, but not quite as good as the best.

·
Registered
244 Posts
As was posted earlier. LCD with a matte screen. I have read that some don't like the matte screen for other reasons. Personally I don't mind.

I have a Samsung and a Sharp with matte screens. The Samsung is the best for reflections. I can shine a flashlight in it and not see the reflection.

I also have a Vizio with a matte screen. It is pretty good for a low end LCD. Also have a small Vizio edge lit LED/LCD. It is glossy and the reflections are horrible. But it is a sharper picture than the matte LCDs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts