AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will replace my main TV (32" CRT) in a somewhat bright room.

Thought about GWII, stuck pixels turned me off

Thought about DLP, grainy and other problems.

Thought about front projection, throw distances are driving me crazy. Would have to mount projector on ceiling, not attractive.

So, now I'm thinking about plasma and have ~4k to spend.

Panasonics 42" - heard it has nice blacks

Pioneer 43" - heard it has best depth in picture

BenQ 46" - is the soso picture worth the extra size?

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
463 Posts
New Samsung SPN4235 might be a contender. EDTV with DNie, DVI/HDCP, PIP, 2 NTSC tuners, 1:1200 contrast ratio. Price now close to $3000.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
for close to 3k I could get the Panny TH-42PWD5UY, which I hear is a very nice plasma. That would be my choice over the samsung.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Yeah, but...the current Panny lacks DVI/HDCP, tuner, DNie, 2 year warranty. I'm torn between the Sammy, the Panny, and the Pio 433, myself. Or maybe just wait for the new Pannys with DVI/HDCP, etc.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tintinet
New Samsung SPN4235 might be a contender. EDTV with DNie, DVI/HDCP, PIP, 2 NTSC tuners, 1:1200 contrast ratio. Price now close to $3000.
Can you tell me where i can get it for $3k?

Thanks.

·
Registered
465 Posts
EricD,

I think you're price point has made the decision for you. The Panny ED. I haven't seen the Pio or the BenQ under $4k at any reputable dealer and I've been looking.

jack

·
Registered
344 Posts
True HD, upgradeable to DVI-HDCP, great color, fantastic PQ on HDTV sources.

And trust me, you CAN most certainly purchase this unit for less than $4,000. Many members on this forum have done exactly that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I love ours we use it for powerpoint shows, and when it comes back it turns into an entertainment center for the house. Image quality is very good, very sharp. Blacks are good even when getting sunwash into the room. We also have the 5002 card for svideo and DVI, which is nice. Price is what your looking to spend. No complaints!

·
Registered
831 Posts
I'd recommend the new Samsung. I've seen it first hand myself and was very impressed. It's just as good as the Panny with some additional features. I'm currently saving up for this unit to be in my living room in the next 2-3 months. :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
An EDTV with DVI would be cool, but the HDCP tagged on to it won't matter a lick. The whole concept of HDCP is that an HD signal when passed through a non-HDCP compliant system will be downconverted to 480p. Given that EDTV native resolution is 480p, HDCP isn't a factor. You won't be losing anything on a non-HDCP DVI input...the factor is almost completely moot.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I am looking for something in the same price range. I would like a built-in tuner and side speakers. I like the price, warranty and features of the SVA, but I have not heard or them. I also don't care for the seperate connection box. I would like to hear from owners of these units.

The Models I am looking at are:

Zenith PH2W22B

SVA HD4208TIII-PDP

Samsung PPM42S2

Panasonic TH-42PWD5UY

I am only going to use the tuner and the composite video input. I really don't care about a DVI connection or HDCP. This will hang on the wall of the masterbedroom. News, some sports + the MAN Show will the viewing choices.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by truaudiophile
I am looking for something in the same price range. I would like a built-in tuner and side speakers. I like the price, warranty and features of the SVA, but I have not heard or them. I also don't care for the seperate connection box. I would like to hear from owners of these units.

The Models I am looking at are:

Zenith PH2W22B

SVA HD4208TIII-PDP

Samsung PPM42S2

Panasonic TH-42PWD5UY

I am only going to use the tuner and the composite video input. I really don't care about a DVI connection or HDCP. This will hang on the wall of the masterbedroom. News, some sports + the MAN Show will the viewing choices.
Forget the Zenith, SVA and older Samsung. Consider the Panasonic, and, perhaps, the newer Samsung SPN4235.

·
Registered
117 Posts
What is wrong with the SVA? It seems to have good specs and the most features and the best price. I have been tempted to try it. The Panasonic seems to be everyones favorite here, but it doesnt have as many included features.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Man I hope the OP found a tv before now! Holy old post batman.

Anyway, judgint by a quick search I believe Eric went with a Front Projection system.

As for the topic, These forums are great for soaking up as much info as possible for a what-should-I-buy scenario but your own eyes have been and should always be the deciding factor. If the SVA looks great and has the features you want, done deal!

Now if only there were more showrooms with properly set up displays :)

- pink

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi

I have the Samsung 4235, and after a little tweaking I am _very_ happy with the display, especially feeding it a DVI signal from the Bravo D1. In addition, after investing in a decent video cable, DirectTV is looking pretty darn good also.

You can find this player at a very reasonable rate, and if you don't want to mount on the wall or otherwise make modifications to your house, the pneumatic stand is absolutely fantastic - I picked it up from J&R and couldn't be happier - it gives me quite a range of vertical motion, and also tilts around 20 degrees around the horizontal. And it looks very nice to boot!

I've looked at a _LOT_ of units, and if you want something that looks great, has all the inputs you might want out of the box (SVideo, 2x Composite, Component, VGA, DVI), comes with 2 year warranty and a stand, you would be hard pressed to beat the Samsung. Yes, I've seen Panasonic's various models, and yes, they look better out of the box when fed a component signal, but see other posts on this forum re. tweaking service menu and you will be rewarded with a very strong image indeed. Feed it DVI and, well, you'll be happy. Coupled with the stand, I'm altogether delighted,

-g.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.