Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Plasma Enthusiasts,

I need your help! I sorely need ideas on how I can design a very attractive home theatre around my 503cmx plasma tv. I have searched many HT forum galleries including this one and have found only 2 HT Plasma setups that get anywhere as impressive as the FP HT setups. I am very disappointed in my research. I guess the challenge is designing a nice HT effect around a screen that is only 50 inch in diameter!

Can anyone post a URL or send me pics [email protected] of your favorite Plasma Home Theater? I would be most appreciative.

Thank you for the benefit of your experience,

Luc

·
Registered
698 Posts
Why do you want to copy someone else's setup?

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Lucative

Best Plasma Home Theatre You've Seen?
The one in my house :)

Quote:
...I have searched many HT forum galleries including this one and have found only 2 HT Plasma setups that get anywhere as impressive as the FP HT setups. I am very disappointed in my research. I guess the challenge is designing a nice HT effect around a screen that is only 50 inch in diameter!
Why don't you design your own? It really shouldn't matter what everyone else is doing, it's what you like that counts. And to me, and probably some others here too, the 42" plasma seems pretty darn impressive so I don't understand what the complaint is about a 50". If you're looking for more of a "real" theater feel, perhaps you should look more into FP.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like my plasma over any FP projector. I feel its picture is superior especially at my viewing distance of only 7-9 feet. That is why I bought a plasma over a FP. However, I am looking for Plasma Home Theatre Designs other than the ones I've seen in most forums. I have seen many HT that are really a plasma mounted on a table or wall with the speakers to both sides with minimal decor added. What I am looking for is a Plasma screen in more of an extravagant setting. I am picturing a paneled wall, or against theatre curtains, or sunken into a wall with sconces and the like. Have you seen any examples of this type of home theatre. My room is only 13X13 and 8 feet high.

Thanks,

Luc

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Lucative
I like my plasma over any FP projector. I feel its picture is superior especially at my viewing distance of only 7-9 feet. That is why I bought a plasma over a FP. However, I am looking for Plasma Home Theatre Designs other than the ones I've seen in most forums. I have seen many HT that are really a plasma mounted on a table or wall with the speakers to both sides with minimal decor added. What I am looking for is a Plasma screen in more of an extravagant setting. I am picturing a paneled wall, or against theatre curtains, or sunken into a wall with sconces and the like. Have you seen any examples of this type of home theatre. My room is only 13X13 and 8 feet high.

Thanks,

Luc
I think a few members have posted their theatres in the gallery...

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Hi Luc-

Good Luck in your search for the right solution to fit your tastes. I assume by now that you have previewed many a set-up of various home theaters/media rooms via the galleries. There is nothing wrong with trying to integrate various detail ideas from a variety of sources, be it FP or whatever.

What you have probably noticed in your searches is that certain FP setups struck you as more aesthetically pleasing than others. Given your smaller room size and smaller screen size it may be a matter of just scaling down the various design elements that you favor. For example, say you liked the look of a few stage designs in larger set-ups. Maybe building a scaled down stage type landing could be worked into your design.

Many designs follow some type of basic theme, also. Setting your own theme may provide a road map to your design. Furthermore, certain lighting conditions can cast certain types of moods or flavors to your design.

Are you trying to design an entire dedicated room, or just a front wall? What type of seating atmosphere are you after? Color schemes, Fabrics, woodworks/trim all add to the flavor of a room.

Most FP theaters are designed to be blacked out, whereas Plasma environments don't necessarily require that. Do you like to have all the electronics hidden? Forum member Doody has a very nice contemporary set-up which has a minmalist look due to all the electronics hidden off to the side. IIRC, his set-up utilises a step-up and various recessed lighting.

So much to choose from! Decisions, decisions, decisions to narrow down your choices.

Bruce

·
Registered
64 Posts
Brucer is on the money. I feel it's easy to copy someone's setup. Do the research. Designing and visualizing what to put where is all the fun. Remember you know what you want. If I was to give you any advice when designing a HT with a Plasma is rule #1 you really don't what to take away the beautiful visual of the panel itself by placing giant speakers, components, pictures or any type of decorating that is a distraction. Design in proportion to the panel and your room. Have fun!;)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Perhaps I am misreading some of these responses. I don't think the point is to ever copy someones setup (Perhaps for some it is) but to look at individual elements for ideas. Very few people have exclusively original ideas (even here). We all learn and build from each other while adding and changing to make it better for ourselves and our specific application. That would be the whole point of having pictures of people HT's.

In looking for speakers for my plasma I ran into the same challenge of esthetically adding speaker to a familyroom Plasma without looking strange (especially the center speaker). This is a more for a multipurpose room not a strict HT. There were not too many examples of how people setup their rooms. I wan't looking to copy only to increase my knowledge base to expand my own creativity.

BTW, I mounted the plasma on the wall and plan on having a sort of credenza made to sit underneath it. All my equipment with the exception of my VCR (for the Kids) is centrally located in the basement. I went for the Mirage Omnisat and have the fronts on plaster pedestals. I don't have any pictures yet because I'm not done.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
I understand what Lucative is saying, and it's not about copying someone else's design, it's about getting ideas. Not all of us have a great natural creative design talent, especially technically minded AV geeks. Why reinvent the wheel? Why not take the foundation others have laid and built on that? This hobby is way too expensive to do trial and error designing, especially when you're mounting things on walls and cutting holes in walls.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Enthusiasts,

I am much happier now that several of you have understood the spirit of my original question. Yes, I wanted to see HT pics so I could pick and choose the design elements that would work best for me. I think Bruce is right that my best bet would be to re-review the FP HT Designs and downsize the design elements to make them appropriate for my 50 inch plasma and 13x13 room. The wood paneling plasma pic is more like what I was looking for. I like the revealing plasma picture frame because my plasma room needs to house my desktop computer too. I think it would be a great effect for my friends to enter an extravagantly designed home office to discover that it is really, mainly, a HT in disguise. My wife would like to put theatre curtains (she's a great seamstress) behind the plasma (or plasma disguised behind a picture and frame?) :)

I am now wondering whether an ambient light setup behind the plasma is worthwhile to do to reduce eye strain?

Thank you all again for your helpful suggestions. I would enjoy any additonal constructive suggestions going forward.

Luc

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.