AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I know that every TV has been scrutinized to death on this forum regarding input lag and other gaming issues but I'm looking for some specific advice to help me out. I've done a lot of research myself but I'm hoping to get some quality input from you guys that is a little less scattered.

So basically I purchased a Samsung 46" LED (model #UN46C6300SF) a few days ago and I've been disappointed with it due to the input lag I get while playing games. The lag isn't too terrible with "game mode" on and other post-processing effects turned off but it is still noticeable to me while playing fast paced shooting games. I own a PS3, 360, and Wii. The PS3 and 360 are connected via HDMI cables and the Wii via component. Considering that this is a rather large purchase for me and I want it to last at least 5 years this input lag is a rather large issue.

Anyway, it seems that a lot of people are convinced that plasmas are the best for gaming. With this in mind I'm curious to know what the best plasma TV is for gaming, especially with regards to input lag. I'm not naive enough to think that there is truly a "best" but I'm sure there are plenty of informed opinions around these parts.

Basically I'm looking for something in the $1100 or less category, full 1080p, and 46-50 inches. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, Panasonic plasmas seem pretty appealing so far but I'm still not completely sold.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks mbyrnes but I've already looked over that thread. The input lag data is interesting but I am more interested in individual people's opinions of the best plasma for gaming with regards to input lag AND all other issues. That thread was a good place for me to start though.

Thanks for the reply neoshredder. I was looking at a similar model, the TC-P50G20. Do you know if there are any differences between the two? Also, there is another model, the TC-P50S2, that is about $200 cheaper than the G20.

·
Registered
582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Darkest_Red /forum/post/19574293

Thanks mbyrnes but I've already looked over that thread. The input lag data is interesting but I am more interested in individual people's opinions of the best plasma for gaming with regards to input lag AND all other issues. That thread was a good place for me to start though.

Thanks for the reply neoshredder. I was looking at a similar model, the TC-P50G20. Do you know if there are any differences between the two? Also, there is another model, the TC-P50S2, that is about $200 cheaper than the G20.

I think the G20 and S2 are similar in that aspect. They both have 1080 lines of motion resolution. THe U2 has 900 lines and C2 has 720 lines. Go with the S2 or G20 for gaming imo. I got the G25 due to superior blacks and more accurate picture. "The S2 doesn't show 24fps and the G25 does" http://forum.digitalhow.com/panny-g2...ml#post4166414

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input Goatse. Do you prefer LCD simply because it doesn't have the IR problems that can be associated with plasmas? I've always been a big LCD fan but my new Samsung has made me reconsider my position due to the input lag.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would also recommend the Panasonic G20.

My G10 had zero image retention even when paused for long periods of time.

My current TV(Samsung) has crazy image retention.

I really like my Samsung but, if I were a "gamer", I would go with the Panasonic.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
pretty much. I never owned a panny but i hear they are better about IR but no plasma is immune. If you do alot of gaming, go LCD. I regret my plasma purchase, underestimated how bad and long IR lingers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse /forum/post/19574715

pretty much. I never owned a panny but i hear they are better about IR but no plasma is immune. If you do alot of gaming, go LCD. I regret my plasma purchase, underestimated how bad and long IR lingers.

Hmm I'm not sure what qualifies as a lot of gaming. I would say I do at most 4 hours a day and at most 15 hours a week.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I recently had to bring back my G20 due to a bad power supply, had it not gone out, I would have kept it for a long time. The IR wasn't bad at all on it, I played many of hours with it and don't ever remember saying damn I gotta do some slides now... When I traded it in I went for a Samsung, just to see the difference, I personally like the picture quality more with the samsung, but the IR is pretty bad. My top recommendation would def be those 2 though. I would go with the g25, or higher for panasonic, or the c700 or 800 for the samsung, but those will be more expensive. I can't really say much about the input lag though as I have never really noticed it, or tried to look for it, I'm not big on online gaming so it wouldn't really be an issue for me... either that or both the plasmas I have owned never really had any...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korvas /forum/post/19574872

I recently had to bring back my G20 due to a bad power supply, had it not gone out, I would have kept it for a long time. The IR wasn't bad at all on it, I played many of hours with it and don't ever remember saying damn I gotta do some slides now... When I traded it in I went for a Samsung, just to see the difference, I personally like the picture quality more with the samsung, but the IR is pretty bad. My top recommendation would def be those 2 though. I would go with the g25, or higher for panasonic, or the c700 or 800 for the samsung, but those will be more expensive. I can't really say much about the input lag though as I have never really noticed it, or tried to look for it, I'm not big on online gaming so it wouldn't really be an issue for me... either that or both the plasmas I have owned never really had any...

Thanks Korvas. That's too bad about your power supply, very unfortunate. I will have to look into the Samsung although they seem to be known for having pretty bad input lag (the LCD's anyway).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainedGlass /forum/post/19574882

LG plasma has high input lag, so count it out regardless of IR issues.

Use my plasma almost exclusively for gaming, no IR, no complaints - Panasonic VT25.

Would recommend any Panny plasma for gaming.

Awesome, thanks for the advice. I'm glad to hear that the IR isn't as big of an issue as people sometimes make it out to be. I play a lot of different games and watch TV once in awhile also so I don't think it would be an issue for me.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
even an hour of gaming would give me good 2-3 hour of IR of the HUD. input lag hasn't been an issue with me on the LG. Like I said I hear Panny is better but also equivalent panny is about 800bux more.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I used PC Mode with my Sammy LNA650 to avoid input lag. Don't perceive any with my Panny VT25, use Custom Mode for all content including gaming. I do get IR though, don't assume it won't happen. But IR removal is fairly easy now that I've had my TV since June, usually goes away after a half hour of watching non-static content.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have the 50s2 and it is a great gaming tv. low input lag and i have zero ir no matter how long i play games. i am always skeptical when ppl say they have ir with the s2's because i never get ir. the longest gaming session i had was for 8 hrs with black ops and yet zero ir. panasonic is a great gaming tv.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by srixon /forum/post/19575840

i have the 50s2 and it is a great gaming tv. low input lag and i have zero ir no matter how long i play games. i am always skeptical when ppl say they have ir with the s2's because i never get ir. the longest gaming session i had was for 8 hrs with black ops and yet zero ir. panasonic is a great gaming tv.

Thanks for the advice srixon. The s2 is another model I'm considering. When you say it has low input lag do you mean low as in you notice but it doesn't bother you or low as in unnoticeable? The reason I ask is because I can't stand the feeling of input lag even if it is low, I need it low enough that I can't tell it's there.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Plasmas may very well have the best input lag. I have a panasonic s1 I game on, and its fine and everything, but I think that when it comes to gaming, LED lcds blow plasmas away VISUALLY. The samsungs look great to me, they make a great LED lcd. Lag is a different story.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts