AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short question: I'm looking for a DVD player to hook up to my 4 year old Sony VPL-10HT, which is a high-definition LCD front projector with component-only inputs. I'm displaying on a 108" Stewart screen. What would you recommend?

Slightly longer version of the question: I'm replacing a 4 year old Yamaha player which was state of the art at the time (one of the first progressive-scan players), but isn't great today. I had "upgraded" to a very inexpensive Momitsu player, but it broke down after about three months of use (won't load disks). Based on my experiences with these two players, here are some things I'm looking for:

* I don't need SACD or anything like that. I only use the player for movies, not audio.

* Clearly, I don't care about HDMI or any specs over non-analog outputs.

* The Momitsu had a nice feature (missing from the older Yamaha player, but also missing from a new Denon I have elsewhere) that detects anamorphic video - in other words, trailers and other non-anamorphic content tend to play correctly in the right aspect ratio.

* The Momitsu had really lousy fonts for subtitles. I actually do use subtitles a decent amount, and this really bothered me.

* I never thought the upconverting on the Momitsu was that great (the VPL-10HT upconverts anyway, I suppose) - but the Yamaha has a really bad case of "jaggies" which I would hope to avoid with a new player (e.g. diagonal lines, particularly on lettering or cross-hatching - tend to shimmer and look lousy). Indeed, that's the only reason I'm upgrading from the Yamaha, I suppose.

Many thanks for your thoughts and advice,

Dave

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
If you don't want upconversion, perhaps a Denon 2200? It is great for film, however, video is not that great....you will definitely see jaggies.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe that neither the Denon nor the Samsung will pass through upconverted 1080i signals through component. Anyone know differently?

I wonder if the Faroudja DCDi signal processing, though, would be helpful.

My key interests are:

(1) Eliminating (or reducing) "jaggies"

(2) Good (readable) fonts for subtitles

(3) Having a player automatically adjust for anamorphic/non-anamorphic video

(4) Having a player last longer than the 4 months my Momitsu lasted

If I can find a player that is significantly better than my 4 year old Yamaha on this, I'd be ready to upgrade!

Thanks again for the good thinking here.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Quote:
(2) Good (readable) fonts for subtitles
Just a note. Subtitles on DVDs are stored as an overlay image on the dvd. They should look the same no matter what the dvd player is.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey
you could always look for the zenith 318 dvd player with the old firmware on it to output 1080i over component

I have both the 318 and the 941, each with the appropriate firmware/hack to pass 1080 over component. The 941 has no problems with white or black crush on the pluge, the 318 no matter what cannot eliminate white crush over component (with the component enabling firmware). Hence, for component the 941 may be the better player.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
I also have a 318. not sure what you mean about white crush on component. there's no white crush on component.

jeff

·
Registered
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclou
I have both the 318 and the 941, each with the appropriate firmware/hack to pass 1080 over component. The 941 has no problems with white or black crush on the pluge, the 318 no matter what cannot eliminate white crush over component (with the component enabling firmware). Hence, for component the 941 may be the better player.
I was waiting on a comparison on these 2 players. So far I have tried a bunch of DVD players, both upconverting and progressive only. I did not care for any of the Samsungs via 1080i over component. The picture detailed looked too dark and when turning up the brightness looked washed out. I thought the Zenith looked the best, providing a sharp detailed picture with minimal artifacting and good BTB detail. I have not looked at the Sammy 941, but I heard the PQ is better then the other Sammy units, I also noticed this has the Faroudja chip. I think it's this chip that brings out the great PQ in players (macroblocking aside), not upconversion. If the 941 PQ even comes close to the Zenith, I'm there, because Walmart is selling them for $129.00. Plus you get DVD-A and SCAD.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I have Samsung HD941, Zenith DVB-318, Neuneo HVD-108, and LiteON LVD-2001 with all 4 capable of 1080i component. The Neuneo with latest firmware (AMLogic) is my favorite due to best color rendition for film-based movies, Zenith is second due to best sharpness of all 4 players and DCDi for video tittles (color is second due to mild green push and slightly too bright that needs display to calibrate out), Samsung HD941 is 3rd due to some sync. issues with 1080i (jumpy pictures) and 720p (skewed image for 2" from top of 54"X96" screen) and NEC LT150 XGA DLP via component input (HDMI is perfect to HDTV Sanyo 30" CRT)--if the player sync. properly, it's very, very close to Zenith 318 (HD941 has no green push, good sharpness, and not too bright while Zenith has green push and tend to be too bright but slightly sharper). LiteON LVD-2001 (Sigma 8500 similar to Momitsu v880) 1080i component is clearly the worse (too soft, right-side edge enhancements, less reliable with audio pops).

Edit: the newest HVD-2085 supports HDMI, component, and VGA but may be crushing blacks and not pass blacker than black--needs new firmware to correct which is not released yet. HVD-108 only supports 480p/720p/1080i component and up to SXGA VGA, but passes blacks/whites/colors perfectly with newest firmware. It has poor tray design in that if not careful you can scratch your DVDs. It also may not play some movies (Zenith and Samsung plays more reliably).

·
Registered
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey
I have Samsung HD941, Zenith DVB-318, Neuneo HVD-108, and LiteON LVD-2001 with all 4 capable of 1080i component. The Neuneo with latest firmware (AMLogic) is my favorite due to best color rendition for film-based movies, Zenith is second due to best sharpness of all 4 players and DCDi for video tittles (color is second due to mild green push and slightly too bright that needs display to calibrate out), Samsung HD941 is 3rd due to some sync. issues with 1080i (jumpy pictures) and 720p (skewed image for 2" from top of 54"X96" screen) and NEC LT150 XGA DLP via component input (HDMI is perfect to HDTV Sanyo 30" CRT)--if the player sync. properly, it's very, very close to Zenith 318 (HD941 has no green push, good sharpness, and not too bright while Zenith has green push and tend to be too bright but slightly sharper). LiteON LVD-2001 (Sigma 8500 similar to Momitsu v880) 1080i component is clearly the worse (too soft, right-side edge enhancements, less reliable with audio pops).

Edit: the newest HVD-2085 supports HDMI, component, and VGA but may be crushing blacks and not pass blacker than black--needs new firmware to correct which is not released yet. HVD-108 only supports 480p/720p/1080i component and up to SXGA VGA, but passes blacks/whites/colors perfectly with newest firmware. It has poor tray design in that if not careful you can scratch your DVDs. It also may not play some movies (Zenith and Samsung plays more reliably).
Thanks for the good comparisons Huey! I do like a sharp picture and it makes me wonder if the new LG units improved upon the PQ, since they are siblings of the Zenith. The 941 looks like a good deal, and just about cements it for me since PQ is as good as the DVB318. I also thought about the Neuneo 108, but it's online purchasing only and $75.00 more.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeno
I also have a 318. not sure what you mean about white crush on component. there's no white crush on component.

jeff
On my 8700+ Benq, the 318 with the component upscaling firmware I can either get it to display BTB on the fluge or adjust it to prevent white crush before 90% on the DVE gradient scale. My 941 can do BTB and white crush above 100%, but only after the 4/05 firmware.

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclou
On my 8700+ Benq, the 318 with the component upscaling firmware I can either get it to display BTB on the fluge or adjust it to prevent white crush before 90% on the DVE gradient scale. My 941 can do BTB and white crush above 100%, but only after the 4/05 firmware.
I don't think that's technically white crush. secrets reported the 318 is a bit hot at 100IRE, i.e. 100IRE test pattern shows up as 100+IRE. taht's different than white crush.

jeff

·
Registered
202 Posts
Regardless of nomenclature, there is some loss of distinction between white levels at the higher end of the scale on my 318 when I adjust the brightness to allow for BTB. Probably not a huge deal but it demonstrates a particular shortcoming.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does the 941 pass 1080i over component out of the box, or does it require a firmware upgrade/downgrade? It seems like this may be the player for me.....

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
HD941 needs remote control hack: , 4, 3, 2, 7, --going by memory as I've forgotten :D better search here to confirm to rid of HDCP and enable component upconversion (push HDMI SEL button to cycle resolutions via component (480p, 720p, and 1080i).

·
Registered
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huey
LiteON LVD-2001 (Sigma 8500 similar to Momitsu v880) 1080i component is clearly the worse (too soft, right-side edge enhancements, less reliable with audio pops).
Huey,

I've searched the web looking for an internal view of the Liteon LVD-2001 to see if the component output circuitry is similar to the Momitsu V880, Brainwave V880, Yamakawa 365, and Yamakawa 375 (these players are of particular interest to me due to their DVI-I output, upconverting, and custom resolutions). If it had been, I was going to suggest you might be interested in modifying your player. It seems the circuit board ( because of the memory card slot) is different, the components seem more spaced out, this probably explains the poorer component output you have noticed from the Liteon, and why I can't suggest how to mod your player (without a closer look). Better designed EM8500 players have fewer artifacts due to the output stage, players modified to bypass the output stage produce a stunning picture, (although not a solution for most owners), and the EM8500 does not have edge enhancement.

http://members.dodo.com.au/~jgharris/Liteon.jpg

Inside a Liteon.

http://members.dodo.com.au/~jgharris/Yamakawa365.jpg

Inside a Yamakawa 365, but the lay out is identical to the group of players I mentioned, except for some variation to how the SCART socket is connected.

Cheers,

John

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.