AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking for something that will pretty much just do tone mapping well. I really would like not to have a full PC to just run Madvr for tone mapping for my JVC RS620. If I have to I have to. I know the new shield does it. But I haven’t found much on how well it does it. Be nice to just have the shield and not have to mess with with setting up Madvr. I know Madvr does more then just Tone mapping . I have run it in the past in my last theater. But I’m getting to the point now that I don’t want to spend all my time messing with stuff and tweaking stuff. I just want to sit down and watch a movie and it work. I also have messed with VLC and seams to do a pretty good job of tone mapping. I really hate HDR lol wish they would just have a way to turn it off. Honestly I would just stick with mostly watching blu-ray if they didn’t keep putting the better audio on the 4k.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
What content are you wanting to tone map? A PC with MadVR can only tone map locally ripped content. I have the latest shield tube and to the best that I know it has no HDR tone mapping ability. The Panasonic BR players UB420/820/9000 are reported to be the best with some user adjustable static tone mapping ability. I agree HDR is just a PIA especially for us projector owners. PLEX has a new tone mapper built in but you need PLEXpass with a monthly charge to use it.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What content are you wanting to tone map? A PC with MadVR can only tone map locally ripped content. I have the latest shield tube and to the best that I know it has no HDR tone mapping ability. The Panasonic BR players UB420/820/9000 are reported to be the best with some user adjustable static tone mapping ability. I agree HDR is just a PIA especially for us projector owners. PLEX has a new tone mapper built in but you need PLEXpass with a monthly charge to use it.
I have a local server with over 42tb of lossless blu-ray and 4K movies. That is also linked to a cloud server that has around a petabyte of movies and tv. Cloud is also mapped locally so I can see everything as if it’s local to my network. So I can Madvr anything lol I have a Plex pass also. With all my stuff on a plex server. My server has dual xeons with 8cores and 16 threads each and 128gigs of ddr4 running unraid. My Plex does tone mapping to my one 1080p tv and it looks ok. Nothing like Madvr or VLC can do. If I have to keep using Madvr, I’ll just run it as a VM on my server with a Nvidia 1080gtx. That way at least I won’t have to have a whole computer just for tone mapping. I just want something simple. Getting older and don’t have time to mess with everything like I use to. I would gladly pay 500-1k for something that did Madvr level tone mapping with maybe a few tweaks. But I’m not spending 5k+ for the stand alone Madvr unit. Just trying to see if there are any other options out there.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I have a local server with over 42tb of lossless blu-ray and 4K movies. That is also linked to a cloud server that has around a petabyte of movies and tv. Cloud is also mapped locally so I can see everything as if it’s local to my network. So I can Madvr anything lol I have a Plex pass also. With all my stuff on a plex server. My server has dual xeons with 8cores and 16 threads each and 128gigs of ddr4 running unraid. My Plex does tone mapping to my one 1080p tv and it looks ok. Nothing like Madvr or VLC can do. If I have to keep using Madvr, I’ll just run it as a VM on my server with a Nvidia 1080gtx. That way at least I won’t have to have a whole computer just for tone mapping. I just want something simple. Getting older and don’t have time to mess with everything like I use to. I would gladly pay 500-1k for something that did Madvr level tone mapping with maybe a few tweaks. But I’m not spending 5k+ for the stand alone Madvr unit. Just trying to see if there are any other options out there.
Sounds like your all set as nothing has dynamic tone mapping at a reasonable cost other then PC/MadVR. I would sell your RS620 and get a NX5 as I bet net loss maybe in the $1k to $2k range.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like your all set as nothing has dynamic tone mapping at a reasonable cost other then PC/MadVR. I would sell your RS620 and get a NX5 as I bet net loss maybe in the $1k to $2k range.
I have thought about upgrading to a new JVC NX7. But I don’t really think I would gain anything other then the tone mapping. My RS620 has really good convergence. Also give up a bit of contrast, which is the whole reason I upgraded to it from my Epson 5040ub.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
I have thought about upgrading to a new JVC NX7. But I don’t really think I would gain anything other then the tone mapping. My RS620 has really good convergence. Also give up a bit of contrast, which is the whole reason I upgraded to it from my Epson 5040ub.
One other solution is the HDfury Vertex and run DV but still not plug and play as how many of your files are encoded in DV. From all the threads I have read everyone that has upgraded to the NX series say it is a big jump with native 4K even with the loss of contrast and you can't get any better plug and play with its dynamic tone mapping.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One other solution is the HDfury Vertex and run DV but still not plug and play as how many of your files are encoded in DV. From all the threads I have read everyone that has upgraded to the NX series say it is a big jump with native 4K even with the loss of contrast and you can't get any better plug and play with its dynamic tone mapping.
Yeah , I have debated upgrading to a NX as I get them at cost. Guess once I get my new room setup. I’ll try Madvr again. If I get feed up with it I’ll just buy a new projector.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
You could try @Dominic Chan settings from the RS 420 owners thread to improve hdr? At least in terms of feeding your rs620.

Those settings made a huge difference on my 420. Basically everything I throw at it from 4K HDR rips to streaming 4K streams on my Shield Pro all look great.

your projector has an extra Iris compared to mine, and much better contrast. But it's worth a shot to try these settings. I never was interested in doing madr tone mapping because that only solves half of my content problems since it does not impact streaming content.

Also, I don't know if there's anything in the 620 owners thread in terms of these same settings. Maybe they won't work on your projector after all.

-T

Reactions: JamesVG81

·
Registered
431 Posts
I was dragging my feet on the HTPC solution as well as I was wary of the time to get it working, but I think I have a workable solution now.

I just set up tone mapping via JRiver/MadVR and have it running such that nothing causes a display mode change and so far it's stable. I can start up JRiver, browse through my library, start a 4K mkv with tone mapping, then go back to browsing, then start an HD movie, then switch to youtube on a browser, all without causing a display mode change in my JVC RS500.

I was frustrated with my HTPC setup before this, but the only other alternative I'm aware of is a Kaleidescape system with a Lumagen processor. I've only had my new setup working for a day so it still remains to be seen if it's stable, but I'm hopeful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts