AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought a 30HF83, and so far it's great. Right now, I'm using a cheapo Apex AD-1110W DVD player via s-video. I think the picture is ok, but according to what I've read on this forum, it could potentially be a lot better.

The set upconverts all signals to 1080i, with an optional 540p for progressive scan signals. I've only done a 1080i and 540p comparison on a couple of Xbox games and noticed no difference, so I'm wondering if I might notice any difference at all on a DVD. If I don't notice any difference, then I may as well just stick with an interlaced player.

I've read about some DVI players coming out in a few months that can scale DVDs to 1080i. I figure that the picture quality would be better overall since my set shouldn't do any converting on its own (to my knowledge) if it's receiving a 1080i signal from the player.

I'm looking for a player to get rid of video grain and any aliasing that may pop up (if at all possible). I don't care about any other features except for picture quality itself. The picture used to be extremely grainy, but turning down sharpness helped out a bit.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Go for a top-rated Faroudja-based player like the Panasonic RP82,XP30,XP50 or Denon DVD-1600. Also the Mitsubishi DD-8040 or Denon DVD-910.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ThumperBoy
Go for a top-rated Faroudja-based player like the Panasonic RP82,XP30,XP50 or Denon DVD-1600. Also the Mitsubishi DD-8040 or Denon DVD-910.
IMO you'd be wasting your money. I put a good progressive scan DVD player on mine and it actually looked worse. There's no way to bypass the Tosh's upscaler. You can only choose 540p or 1080i and neither does a great job on 480p. I found my non-progressive scan DVD player actually looked best when I just let the Tosh upscale it to 1080i.

(Your results may vary) :)

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Most forum members agree that there is a huge difference between a player with a good deinterlacer and a poor one. I don't know how well your deinterlacer performs, but you can't go wrong with the one's Thumperboy mentioned. If your Tosh has a good one then look at the Panny RP91 which has a great interlaced picture and many, many setup controls for fine tuning.

I have the Denon 1600 and Rp91 and actually prefer the RP91 as long as I let my Iscan Pro do the deinterlacing.

Also read Hometheaterhifi.com to research progressive scan.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.