AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 19'x13' room for my theater. I sit along the 19' wall because I get better imaging and better bass response from the front channels along the longer wall (as reccommended by Dunlavy Audio room considerations http://www.dunlavyaudio.com/audio_files/listening.html ). If I put the front channels along the shorter wall, imaging collapses and the bass is too boomy. So I have fixed the front soundstage but I am forced to sit along the back wall. If I put my dipole surround speakers on the side walls they would also be very close to the back wall in the corner, and I'm not sure if this is ok. The local IMAX theater puts the surround channels up high in the corners of the back wall facing down toward the listener. I'm thinking monopoles my be better in my situation. I would like to know if anyone else has a similar room setup or opinions from professionals. Thanks.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by David Barteaux
I have a 19'x13' room for my theater.

I would like to know if anyone else has a similar room setup or opinions from professionals. Thanks.
Well, my room is closer to 16'x15' ... and I'm certainly no professional, but I'll give you my opinion anyway;)

http://home.mn.rr.com/jimandsuehill/...hair_riser.jpg

As you can see from the attached picture, my rear surrounds (SONANCE 3-way in-wall) are mounted in the farthest back corners of the room. They are only slightly behind, and just above, the ear level of the rear seating. I was concerned about them facing directly from opposite walls, but it hasn't really been a problem. Now, especially after I moved the ceiling-mounted projector from the back wall to a through-wall, surround imaging is very good for both rows.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
My room is about the same size as yours, although irregularly shaped. I use floorstanding B&W speakers in the corners for surrounds, and they work well from all seating locations. I have them angled into the room 45 degrees. I think they might sound better if slightly above ear level. I need to get some milk crates and experement.

Pete

·
Registered
306 Posts
The Dunlavy information appears to describe stereo speaker configurations. I don't know if all the information applies for surround sound. You can check out the Dolby and THX web sites to see if they have information about speaker places and room dimensions.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Hello David.

You have little choice: they would require to be to the side. I'd switch to direct-radiating speakers or perhaps aim your existing ones so they act like that.

I wonder if a rear center channel above head (in the wall) would provide a nice effect or be too close for that.

Best regards.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.