AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been researching and reading a lot about Subs. I need to buy a Sub for myself , budget is around $250-$300 , I know this pretty low but this is first time I am trying to buy a subwoofer.


I have Yamaha Rx V671 , Fronts are Polk Monitor 60 , Center is CS20 and surrounds are Fxi3.

Moving to a new house so need to get a Sub. Look, shape , size etc do not matter , will be using it for movies 70% and music 30%. Want what I can get best in around my budget?


So far I have come down to - Klipsch Rw 12D (when on sale) , Bic F 12 and Polk 505 . But then was checking on Craiglist and saw this http://raleigh.craigslist.org/ele/3881883014.html , is it good deal too?

Is buying a used Sub good idea?


posting floor plan of the house



Here are few deals I saw on Ebay

Definitive Technology SuperCube III

DSWpro550wi 10" - refurbished for $299

Definitive Technology SUPERCUBE 2000

Velodyne SPL-R Series 10" Powered Subwoofer SPL-10RBG



And here are some Best Buy deals for open items - Open Box - Definitive Technology - ProSub 800 8" 300-Watt -$234
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not in any hurry because I am moving to new place at end of July. Looking forward to your experience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
756 Posts
I would go with the Klipsch RW12-D. For $300 you won't do better. The JBL es250 is actually a 400w sub, but that really doesn't mean much of anything. The RW12-D will most likely play louder, deeper, and cleaner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louquid  /t/1478191/best-possible-sub-for-my-budget#post_23453096


I would go with the Klipsch RW12-D. For $300 you won't do better. The JBL es250 is actually a 400w sub, but that really doesn't mean much of anything. The RW12-D will most likely play louder, deeper, and cleaner.

No its actually a 700watt sub dynamic and I agree power does not mean everything. That being said for 199.00 it might be a good one, I plan on updating the thread after it comes in and I can test it. I agree the RW12 is probably a better buy as already mentioned. However I am not spending 300+ on a sub that will be neglected by drunks. Thats why I always use budget subs for my jukeboxes...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81  /t/1478191/best-possible-sub-for-my-budget#post_23453411


No its actually a 700watt sub dynamic and I agree power does not mean everything. That being said for 199.00 it might be a good one, I plan on updating the thread after it comes in and I can test it. I agree the RW12 is probably a better buy as already mentioned. However I am not spending 300+ on a sub that will be neglected by drunks. Thats why I always use budget subs for my jukeboxes...

I'm sure it is a good sub for $200. Probably a better buy than the Bic F12 and Polk 505. But it is a 400watt RMS sub. 700 watts peak is simply a marketing ploy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,057 Posts
The Jbl es250pbk has issues with amp failure. Just check out the amazon reviews for it and compare that to the Rw-12d's reviews.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik James  /t/1478191/best-possible-sub-for-my-budget#post_23453610


The Jbl es250pbk has issues with amp failure. Just check out the amazon reviews for it and compare that to the Rw-12d's reviews.

I have read the reviews, its not nearly as big of issue as made out to be...this not my first rodeo. where did i recomend it being better than the rw12? If you read my initial post i said the rw12 is the most sought after 300.00 sub on this forum. However I didnt buy it because I am not spending 300.00 plus on a sub thats going to be sitting on the floor of a bar/club night in and out. 100-200 subs work fine for that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81  /t/1478191/best-possible-sub-for-my-budget#post_23453649


I have read the reviews, its not nearly as big of issue as made out to be...this not my first rodeo. where did i recomend it being better than the rw12? If you read my initial post i said the rw12 is the most sought after 300.00 sub on this forum. However I didnt buy it because I am not spending 300.00 plus on a sub thats going to be sitting on the floor of a bar/club night in and out. 100-200 subs work fine for that.

I don't think he was directing his comment towards you, but rather the OP in case he were to want to compare both. The JBL seems to have an issue with the amps failing a bit early, but it doesn't seem to be too common. Not everyone who is happy with a product feels the need to write a review for it, but nearly everyone who has major issues with something is more than willing to let others know.


Have you every looked into the Dayon 1200's that Beeman mentioned? I've read great things about those subs, and at only $120 or so I'm sure they'd do great for your uses. I'm intersted in seeing more reviews on these things.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louquid  /t/1478191/best-possible-sub-for-my-budget#post_23453721


I don't think he was directing his comment towards you, but rather the OP in case he were to want to compare both. The JBL seems to have an issue with the amps failing a bit early, but it doesn't seem to be too common. Not everyone who is happy with a product feels the need to write a review for it, but nearly everyone who has major issues with something is more than willing to let others know.


Have you every looked into the Dayon 1200's that Beeman mentioned? I've read great things about those subs, and at only $120 or so I'm sure they'd do great for your uses. I'm intersted in seeing more reviews on these things.

I am actually thinking about trying a dayton when I the next install comes around. The budget sub market is huge these days, I figured I would try an array of different models, just to see whats what.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,828 Posts

Quote:
I am not spending 300.00 plus on a sub thats going to be sitting on the floor of a bar/club night in and out. 100-200 subs work fine for that.


You better not let Tom hear you say that.
Ha Ha.. you know I'm playing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louquid  /t/1478191/best-possible-sub-for-my-budget#post_23453096


I would go with the Klipsch RW12-D. For $300 you won't do better. The JBL es250 is actually a 400w sub, but that really doesn't mean much of anything. The RW12-D will most likely play louder, deeper, and cleaner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458  /t/1478191/best-possible-sub-for-my-budget#post_23453139


For a starter subwoofer system, a pair of Dayton Audio, SUB-1200's would be an excellent start.


When on sale, the Klipsch, RW-12d is also good buy.


A suggestion would be to check out the "List of budget subwoofers ($300 and less)," thread.

So Klipsch is the popular choice. And mostly I am also just waiting for them to go on another sale. About Dayton sub suggestion , how would it compare to Klipsch in my living room for HT use? Also as I have never owned a sub so I dun know much about settings , although I am trying to read a lot of posts on subs and trying to get an idea , how they work and what they mean. But still would love to have some suggestions , tips concerning Klipsch`s settings.


I check that thread for budget subwoofers , but would not know which one is better than the other , thats why opened this thread so I can learn a little more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn  /t/1478191/best-possible-sub-for-my-budget#post_23453878


You better not let Tom hear you say that.
Ha Ha.. you know I'm playing.

the xv15's reside in my living room, not a bar...there is no way im dropping a xv15 in one of my locations. I gurantee somebody would steal it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,303 Posts
In general, they're all good. The RW-12d is the Top Dog of the price point with the BIC, PL-200 a close second.


The SUB-1200 receives excellent reviews and by putting two or three in a room gives one room gain and helps with smoothing out the subwoofer's response to a room's acoustics.


For sales purposes, with the possibility of the RW-12d becoming extinct, the Top Dog replacement may turn out to be the NXG NX-BAS-500 Subwoofer.


There are many fine choices one can make so beyond that of the RW-12d, it's hard to say with certainty which is the best subwoofer. At the next price point level, one can look to the Rythmik, LV12R . The better quality of subwoofer one can get, the bigger the smile factor.


In the simple, you'll eventually need to make that leap of faith. This is something we all have had to do and no matter, a BIC, PL-200, a Klipsch, RW-12d or a NXG-BAS-500, you're going be happy......well, up to your continued hanging around here, reading up on the possibilities.


-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
437 Posts
To echo everyone else's comments in your price range its almost a no brainer with the rw-12d, BIC PL200 being a close 2nd @ 270$ shipped
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepat04  /t/1478191/best-possible-sub-for-my-budget#post_23454304


To echo everyone else's comments in your price range its almost a no brainer with the rw-12d, BIC PL200 being a close 2nd @ 270$ shipped

Amazon has it for more at this time , did u see it for less somewhere else?



Also guys as I wuld be buying online , so what is that should be most important spec when looking at Subs?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,828 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81  /t/1478191/best-possible-sub-for-my-budget#post_23453649


I have read the reviews, its not nearly as big of issue as made out to be...this not my first rodeo. where did i recomend it being better than the rw12? If you read my initial post i said the rw12 is the most sought after 300.00 sub on this forum. However I didnt buy it because I am not spending 300.00 plus on a sub thats going to be sitting on the floor of a bar/club night in and out. 100-200 subs work fine for that.

I'm not a betting man I guess


There are other budget subs or pairs of budget subs that would do as well for the price.

But it was directed to the op because no-one had mentioned the amp failures at the time.


The Pl-200 can be bought here with the make an offer option: http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/core/view_BigProduct.cfm?PID=1555


280$ is the suggested offer but I suppose you could try to get it lower...
 
1 - 20 of 84 Posts
Top