AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of cable outputs the best possible image the original PSOne can produce?

I'm currently using a S-Video cable from monoprice and it blows AV cables out of the water. I tried component, but couldn't get a signal.

I've also heard of something called "Scart", but from my understanding, that sort of connection is only found in Europe? If Scart is better than S-Video, would it be possible to get one of these cables and fit it with something like an "Scart to Component/VGA" adapter or would I need some sort of electronic converter box?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vieo /forum/post/20897978

What type of cable outputs the best possible image the original PSOne can produce?

I'm currently using a S-Video cable from monoprice and it blows AV cables out of the water. I tried component, but couldn't get a signal.

I've also heard of something called "Scart", but from my understanding, that sort of connection is only found in Europe? If Scart is better than S-Video, would it be possible to get one of these cables and fit it with something like an "Scart to Component/VGA" adapter or would I need some sort of electronic converter box?

Scart is better than s-video. But you would need a converter to use one. I've never priced a scart to component converter, but I've heard that they are pricey. And then you would need to get the cables, and I those would most likely need to be imported. I've played PS1 games on my PS2 using component cables and those games really don't look much better than s-video, so I don't think that you'll see that much of a jump using scart.

By the way, I've heard that playing PS1 games on the PS3 gives you the best visuals.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Analog RGB is the best. Analog RGB is slightly better than component. It's very similar to component, but it has the full bandwidth. Component doesn't have the full bandwidth. The problem with analog RGB is that it syncs at like 15.75 KHz horizontal. It's very difficult to find anything modern that will sync with that. You can get an old-school picture tube monitor that is 15.75 kHz compatible (like most Sony PVM monitors, Commodore 1084 type monitors), or you can get a device that will transcode the native RGB signal to something modern. The XRGB units are very popular, but extremely expensive. Those will take the native RGB signal and convert it to VGA. So if you have a plasma with a VGA input, that will work.

You can get a Kramer FC-14 for quite a bit cheaper if you can find one on Ebay. That will take the native RGB signal and covert it to component. The downside of converting a rgb signal is that you are going to loose picture quality in the process. It's probably better to get a Sony PVM or BVM monitor. My holy grail would be to get a Sony BVM-20F1U that was made in 2005 and didn't have more than say 5,000 hours of usage on it.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool /forum/post/20902631

I seem to remember this exact troll post a couple of years ago...

I was about to respond with "I don't think he's a troll..." and then my memory kicked into gear, lol. I do indeed remember a guy asking about video cables for the PS1 only to argue with all responders.
Ahhh the good old days.

Anyway if the OP is serious, really I wouldn't spend too much money on this solution, considering that signal transfer quality isn't really the limiting factor here. I think the PS1 can only output something less than true 480i, so you'll be noticing blocky pixels and jaggies much more than imperfect color transfer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.