AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Brian, The best advice I can give you is to A/B several subs in your local A/V store. What sounds good to one person, may not sound to good to another. Some like lingering BOOOOMMMYY bass, some like an tight accurate bass. All subs have different characteristics choose one that fits the bill.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
The HSU VTF-2 is $499 direct from Hsuresearch...but it can be found for $399-$449 on various on line sites. That's a great budget sub.

TV

·
Registered
816 Posts
My old Mirage sub is giving up the ghost, and I'm looking for a good sub in this price range as well. I am intrigued by the HSU, but in surfing I came across an Adire model called RAVA, retailing at about $400. Unfortunately (or not?), Adire seems to have discontinued this sub and offers another model (Dharma or close) for a significant amount more (on sale for $550).

So it seems in this price range HSU stands alone. If anyone has other suggestions I'd love to hear them - er, see them. As the least expensive SVS is $700 I'll have to hold off, but had I the $$$ I'd consider them first.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Actually the least expensive SVS is the 25-31cs at $369...but it is a passive subwoofer. However, with the recent price drops for quality plate amps from companies like parts express...you can get 250w for $125 these days. Take 15 minutes to knock together a little 3 sided box and you can put the amp anywhere you want...and you end up with a nice 250w 25-31cs for about $500.

Of course if you have an older pro logic or two channel receiver collecting dust...it could provide enough power to the 25-31cs to offer good results too.

TV

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Quote:
Unfortunately (or not?), Adire seems to have discontinued this sub and offers another model (Dharma or close) for a significant amount more (on sale for $550).
What gave you the impression that the Rava is discontinued? The Dharman is a vented model, better suited to home theater apps than the sealed Rava, with more output/extension. It's on sale right now for $60 off.

http://www.hometheatertalk.com/ubb/F.../004481.html#1

TV's suggestion would be an excellent buy. Maybe even get that 25-31cs "custom-tuned" to 22Hz or so, get a PE plate amp and adjust the boost to fit it. That would be the best for under $500 , I'd say.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jack G

What gave you the impression that the Rava is discontinued?
I went to the Adire website and could not find it anywhere.

I really have to keep the price to $450 so I am seriously considering the HSU VLF-2.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Last June, S&V magazine reviewed an Infinity Interlude IL100 250w powered sub. At the time, the price they quoted in the book was $499. They gave it high marks and I bet with some searching you could find this for less.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Be careful that you don't get burned like I did. I bought a JBL PSW-D112. It crapped out last weekend. After a quick search of the web, I discovered there were lots of people just like me with the exact same problem!!! See this link . or here .

JBL support refused to repair the sub because it was out of warranty. Harman is the parent company of JBL....I am in the market for a new sub but I will never buy anything that Harman makes again. The list includes: Harman Kardon, JBL, Infinity, Revel, Audioaccess, Lexicon, Mark Levinson, Madrigal Imaging and Proceed

·
Registered
816 Posts
Whoa, my mistake! I just revisited the Arire website and there was Rava, at $399.

I'd love to hear opinions on the RAVAs vs. the HSUs...

·
Registered
816 Posts
I should clarify with a little more info - I'd say I use my system for 60% HT and 40% music. It's a medium-large size room, but with high cathedral ceilings. TV and equipment (including center, sub, and main speakers (Tannoy PB6)) along side wall, couch 2/3 of the way back facing the side wall, with a fireplace on the back wall just in front and left of the couch. Other side wall filled with bookshelves full of tapes and discs (and Yamaha surrounds). Opposite fireplace is door to basement and open space to kitchen. Sometimes in summers we move the equipment in front of the fireplace!

Present sub is a Mirage P90-12. Its plate amp broke for the second time and we're going to replace rather than repair again. Both the RAVA and HSU units have gotten wonderful reviews, and I'd really appreciate any more input you folks could provide.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
This is sorta second-hand, but . . . .

I've been seriously considering the Rava, and last week I did an extensive search for reviews and owner comments on several forums (fora?)

The consensus was very favorable if you're looking for a very tight, "musical" sub. It is a sealed/acoustic-suspension design, rather than the much more common ported/bass-reflex design, so you don't get the house-rattling, peaky boom that many movie viewers want. Instead, you get an almost flat frequency response down into the mid-20s, which is what you want for organ pipes, classical & jazz string bass, etc.

Actually, most ultra high-end HTs favor a sealed design sub for its accuracy and make up the volume with multiple units and power levels in the thousands of watts (check out the reference systems in Widescreen Review.) The Rava is pretty much unique in offering a very competent sealed sub at this price point.

So, it's a matter of what you're looking for. If you're looking for maximum gut-thud on effects tracks and drums, you should probably follow-up some of the other reccomendations. If you're looking for maximum fidelity for the lowest ocatve of music (with an OK thud for that other stuff) most people seem to feel the Rava is the best deal for the $$.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Thanks for the input, Spoffo. My wife likes the look of the Rava more than the Hsu. But Reviews of the HSU state that with a plug adjustment, the VLF-2 can switch from flatter deeper bass (extension), to more punch in the 35Hz area (output, or boom for HT).

I don't know if you're familiar with the Mirage units. Mine was ported in the rear and had decent boom but bottomed out on DTS The Haunting. In any case, do you think the Rava will perform sufficiently for HT? We don't generally go super loud, and my personal preference is tightness over boom, so it seems that the Rava should meet all the criteria.

Oh, what a joy it is to have to choose between two fine products. And it's harder when you can't audition them!

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Thirteen posts, and nary a mention of a Velodyne.

I have been so continuously pleased by my Velodyne HGS-18, that I bought the CT120, a lower end model, for my basement system. This thing is just awesome.

I don't see it on the OneCall website, but I do see specials on the CT100, and the CT150. You could probably get the latter for around $500, and it is well worth the money.

Velodyne remains one of the premier subwoofer manufacturers around. I've listened to lots of subs, and none has yet equalled what a single Velodyne can offer--not in my book, anyway. Strikes a great balance for music and movies, since it is simply excellent on each.

Nick :cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I like the sound of the Velo’s a lot. They are definitely the top of the low-end subs; sound wise, IMHO. Unfortunately I just returned my second CHT-10 (the replacement for the CT-100) a couple of days ago. The transformer was putting out a rather loud buzzing noise and the Velo tech’s only answer was keep exchanging them until you find one that works. That answer didn’t inspire a whole lot of confidence so I went and picked up an M&K the other day. It rocks! While I was shopping, I auditioned the M&K V-75 Mk II and the V125 (magnetically shielded) and was very impressed with both of them. I think they have been discontinued as well, but there are still some around. The V-60 is the new replacement for the V-75 Mk II and can be had for about $450.

·
Registered
188 Posts
chroma,

the look of the HSU really turned me off... when I was shopping for a sub, I really want to consider the HSU because of it's glowing review... but every time I look at it's picture, I hesitate.... what can I say... my sub not only has to sound good, it has to look good too.. :)... I can't justify spending $400 for something that I want to hide in the living room... I would rather spend a few hundreds more...

anyway.. so after much debate between the adire dharman & SVS 20-39CS, I decided to go w/ the SVS... I just like the tube look.. something new.. but really, you can't go wrong w/ either way...

Joel

·
Registered
816 Posts
Audioreview had a lot of velodyne reviews, several of which mentioned shoddy manufacturing. Feet falling off, cabinet coming apart, not working out of the box - then, several reviewers indicated boominess over musicality. And the prices paid were all over the place, which scares me a little.

Someone emailed me about Cambridge Soundworks, but again reviewers indicated the model at my price point was not particularly fast or responsive.

Anyone here ever heard the Ravas?

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by chroma601
Audioreview had a lot of velodyne reviews, several of which mentioned shoddy manufacturing. Feet falling off, cabinet coming apart, not working out of the box - then, several reviewers indicated boominess over musicality. And the prices paid were all over the place, which scares me a little.

Someone emailed me about Cambridge Soundworks, but again reviewers indicated the model at my price point was not particularly fast or responsive.

Anyone here ever heard the Ravas?

Well . . . whenever you get a lot of reviews, especially on the internet, you can expect to hear a little something of everything.

However, there are more reviews of the Velodyne subwoofers than any other sub--by far--on Audio Review. That said, on a 5 star system (with 5 stars being perfect) every Velodyne model except one averaged 4+ stars, closer to 4.5 stars. Even that model (one of the HGS models) averaged 3.88 stars, and there were a few abysmal reviews in the pack which weighted the average down.

My point is that, if the review section is going to have any utility, you really have to give more weight to the consensus than the handful of individual reviews which don't represent the consensus.

From a consensus standpoint, the reviews on Audio Review would indicate that the Velodyne is very good to excellent. Moreover, given the number of reviews there, it's a far more trustworthy sample than any one good or bad review for any other product that doesn't have that many people weighing in.

Nick :cool:

·
Registered
816 Posts
Nick, that's a very good point. Most of the reviews were quite favorable.

That said, how much should a CT-120 cost? I see figures that range from $250 to $650! This tends to be unsettling! With the esoteric subs like the Hsu and Adire prices are pretty much even, but the mass-market Circuit City equipment tends to be available at a wide variety of prices from a wide variety of places. Is there a particular Velodyne retailer I should seek out?

Again, thanks everyone for the help on this most difficult of choices!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.