AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the DVD players under $500 that have the best PQ when played on a 4:3 tube, probably a 27inch Wega.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Unless you have a digital televsion, you can only use a DVD player in interlace mode - so the de-interlacer is not used in the DVD player and you might as well get a bargain under $100 player for that. Your small screen (especially with widescreen titles) could never show any minor picture quality differences anyway. Worry about DVD player quality when you upgrade to a much larger digital display!

·
Registered
483 Posts
I would disagree about not seeing differences with players on a 27" screen. When I brought my CP72 home my wife and I saw a big difference from the low end panasonic we had before. Now that the CP72 is dead, using the old player is a letdown. PQ just isn't there, too soft, not bright. Maybe the new low end players are better.

I was looking at low end front PJs to buy, thinking I had the DVD player nailed. Oh well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, if I bought the 27inch Wega with dual component inputs, and hook it up to a good medium priced dvd player, I won't see a difference between a low price no-name dvd player and a good medium priced dvd player like the panasonic rp92 or denon 1600?

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Most likely yes. For such a TV I would recommend a bargain-priced JVC model XV-N40BK (black) or XV-N44SL (sliver) - with a $20 rebate offer now you could get it for under $70 with rebate.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, to really take advantage of the benefits of progressive scan, do I have to step up to the xbr910, or is there a display below a 1k that will give me a good pq?

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
The Sony 34XBR910 adds a higher resolution finer-pitch picture tube for better HDTV, you don't need to go that high for just progressive DVD. For $1000 you might be able to get a 30" 16:9 set or a 32" 4:3 set from Toshiba or Samsung. I would recommend spending a little more around $1500-1800 for the higher quality 34" Sony 34HS510 or Toshiba 34HF83 models though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.