AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I know there are lots of different discussions on the best DVD player out there but can someone just give me a quick answer?

I'm looking for a tweak-free or minimal fuss software dvd player which provides the best picture quality on fptv with windows xp as the o/s, radeon 32mb ddr video card, nightinggale pro 6 sound card outputing spdif.

ati dvd 5.0, powerdvd xp 4.0, windvd 3.0, zoom player w/various video n audio filters?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
In my thread we discussed in depth how to get the best audio and picture quality with the current software players on WinXP.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=power+ati+5.0

you will see that there are different setups to meet different requests

1) you don't need SPDIF OUT (don't feed the AC3 feed to the amplifier)

Best solution ATI 5.0, the Best picture quality, sound in Dolby Prologic.

Can use Zoom Player with the ATI, if you like, and use the sound filters of one of the other players, if you want to improve sound...

2) you do need SPDIF OUT, for DD purposes

- Cinemaster 4.0

- Power DVD 4.0

- WinDVD 3.1 (even previous versions)

- Zoom player with ATI 5.0 video filters and WinDVD sound filters does DD, but picture stutters

Best picture quality? I have not seen Cinemaster, so I cannot comment on it, it appears to be the bomb, I have seend PowerDvd and WinDvd, and the winner for me is PowerDVD XP.

Sound quality? Again, PowerDVD XP for me, (have not tested Cinemaster, no comment on it)

3) you do need SPDIF OUT, for DTS purposes

- Power DVD 4.0

- WinDVD 3.1 (even previous versions)

- Zoom player with ATI 5.0 video filters and WinDVD sound filters does DTS, but picture stutters

Best picture quality? I have seend PowerDvd and WinDvd, and the winner for me is PowerDVD XP.

Sound quality? Again, PowerDVD XP for me.

The above are only my personal preferences... to each his own!

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
I would say that you would really like Power DVD XP 4.0.

The PQ is there, and the audio support is there. Plays many different types of media, and has no problem playing dvd files from a hard drive. Even plays back standard two channel formats in Dolby Pro-Logic II surround sound. Which is something no other player offers. These extra audio features aren't what makes me recommend the player itself. Its dvd playback alone is a cut above the rest.

I wouldn't even think about buying the TheaterTek player until more screen shots are actually produced. The announcement of the player has been out for quite a while, and only a smidgeon of a screen shot or two has been shown. :(

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys !

I would like to have spdif out with both DD and DTS, so far it seems PowerDVD XP 4.0 is the way to go.

Anyone using zoom player with cinemaster video filter and powerdvd or windvd audio fiter?

your responses are greatly appreciated

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also any major differences in the driver? 3276 and 3281?

·
Registered
140 Posts
My Cineplayer 4.0 supports outputting of DTS thru the SPDIF out on my SBLive card, have you confirmed that it does not on yours gnollo? Works just fine for me, but it'll occasionally stutter at the beginning of the movie. I just pause and unpause and it works fine.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ttt

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Sorry, I don't have the Cineplayer 4.0 (I actually called it Cinemaster, my mistake).

Cannot comment on it's capabilities, but I know of other's that have problems with DTS output with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.