AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are completing construction on our forever house. It's already framed and soon to be insulated and sheetrocked--traditional 2x wood construction, mostly 24" OC, forced air HVAC.

We are looking for practical things to do to keep the quiet rooms (bedrooms and bathrooms) sound isolated from the rest of the house. Outside noise is no issue (house is deep in the woods).

We have already ruled out dbl/staggered stud walls and sound-engineered sheetrock.

Clips and hat track may also be impractical. We could more easily use as part of ceiling assembly, if that wd help, or consider it for key demising walls.

We are considering viscoelastic goo/dbl sheetrock layer (and can do this to one or both sides of walls). Are there differences between the different mfrs Ã* la Green Glue, Suppress, and others? Can the drywall layers be 3/8" with 1/4" on top--or too flimsy?

We're also investigating cavity insulation--again, what has your practical experience been, esp w/different types of insulation?

It would help me a lot if you could share your short list of the construction and finishing tweaks that made the most differences in reducing sound transmission between rooms, without the mfr hype.

Thanks in advance for helping me with practical, unbiased advice.

--Mark

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
If you are looking to keep basic noise down, I'd suggest simply adding a second layer of standard drywall. Mass is the key, so double 5/8" would be great.

Floors are a different matter since footfall on hard surfaces is much more difficult. Carpet and pad solves a lot of ills here.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Solid core doors.

Avoid transfer grills where possible.

Avoid back to back electrical boxes where possible.

I'll leave any dd/gg/stagger suggestions to the professional acousticians here.

rob

·
Registered
3,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgatof /forum/post/16981718

We are considering viscoelastic goo/dbl sheetrock layer (and can do this to one or both sides of walls). Are there differences between the different mfrs Ã* la Green Glue, Suppress, and others? Can the drywall layers be 3/8" with 1/4" on top--or too flimsy?

Supress doesn't sell their damping "glue" separately as far as I know. A damping product called PROSPEC Decibel Drop shows test lab performance comparable to Green Glue. Quiet Solution's QuietGlue has no lab test data, despite requests to the manufacturer for it.

I agree with Ted regarding mass. I strongly recommend two sheets of drywall (1/2" and/or 5/8"), preferably with Green Glue or Decibel Drop between them.
Quote:
We're also investigating cavity insulation--again, what has your practical experience been, esp w/different types of insulation?

Despite fiberglass manufacturers' claims, and their charging a premium for special sound damping insulation, there are no measurements which show a difference between them. These are just bald-faced lies by the industry.

- Terry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.