AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, planning a processor upgrade from my Acurus ACT-3. Want 7.1 capability (for future), video switching nice but not necessary. Want great 2 ch. performance, but HT is 75% of the processor's time. Some certainty of future upgradeability would sure be nice. Am considering the following contendors:

- B&K Ref 30

- Anthem AVM-20

- Classe SSP-30

- Upgrading my ACT-3 (rumored to be offered this summer).

Any opinions or pros/cons on these selections? Others I should include?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

-Paul

·
Registered
105 Posts
Those that you mention are great, but I've heard that the Rotel 1066 & Outlaw 950 can compete with them (at least the Ref 30 & AVM-20, haven't seen any comparisons to the Classe) for much less. Rotel is about $1300 and Outlaw is $899. I know you have the $$ to spend more, but these two might be worth considering.

·
Banned
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mjh222
Those that you mention are great, but I've heard that the Rotel 1066 & Outlaw 950 can compete with them (at least the Ref 30 & AVM-20, haven't seen any comparisons to the Classe) for much less. Rotel is about $1300 and Outlaw is $899. I know you have the $$ to spend more, but these two might be worth considering.
Dont believe everything you hear

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=73541

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shaun,

Couldn't agree more!

I've taken a look at the Outlaw and Rotel pieces, but those feel like lateral moves at best from what I've got presently. I'm looking for a move up, both in features and (most importantly) sonic performance. To do so, I'm looking now at Anthem AV_-20 and Classe SSP-30. Anybody got comments on either of those??

Thanks,

-Paul

·
Registered
565 Posts
I have an AVM-20. Single best piece of HT gear I have ever bought. Except for a fuse blowing once (that took me 30 minutes to replace), it hasn't given me a single hiccup in over three months. I smile whenever I turn it on...absolutely no regrets.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am also in the same boat as you. I have added Lexicion DC-2 / Lexicon MC-1 to the list. Lexicon as most will agree is great for movies but not the best for 2 channel music.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
IMO, a used Lexicon and separate preamp with HT bypass gives you the best of both HT and 2 channel worlds in the $1600-4000 range. A loaded DC1 and splendid Sony TA-P9000 preamp combo starts at $1600. Or an MC1 plus a variety of tube preamps for under $4000.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Ricky, you hit what I've been considering exactly on the head. A loaded DC-1 plus the Sony TA-P9000ES analog preamp. This vs the Rotel 1066 seems to be the choice in the $1400-$1600 range.

I've been considering these two. For standard CDs, I'm already using a Parasound D/AC-2000, so I have no intention of running CDs through either the Lexicon or Rotel processor. Those would be used almost exclusively for DVDs/movie effects. The Rotel brings DPL II to the table, the Lexicon counters with Logic 7. I suspect for most DD5.1 and DTS5.1, that their performance would be very similar.

If I add SACD or DVD-A, that would be switched through the Sony if I go the Lexicon route. Otherwise it will go through the Rotel, which has only 1 5.1 input and thus might require me to add a 5.1 switchbox in the future.

I'm still sorting through this. I'm a 30-yr audiophile on things stereo, but am still learning about multi-channel gear. Any thoughts on the comparative pros and cons of the Lexicon/Sony vs the Rotel would be appreciated.

Tom B.

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, I agree you probably should take anything you read there with a grain of salt. ;)

As for me, I found the Outlaw 950/Sony P9K/Outlaw ICBM($1700) trio to be the best sounding, best performing combination for both music and HT under $3000. Sonically, the Anthem AVM-20 comes close, but MC SACD playback with my trio was superior, IMO.

BTW, the hiss on my 950 was only audible from less than 3 inches from my speakers grill and was equivalent to the Rotel 1066 in this regard. BTW, a $40K+ Krell/B&W setup at a local dealer exhibited the same degree of ear to speaker hiss as both the Rotel and the Outlaw.

I can't explain why some folks (under 10, I believe, at last count) are hearing a much worse degree of speaker hiss with the 950? I don't know if it is something specific to their systems or if they have received a faulty 950 unit. All I know is that I hope that Outlaw can help those folks solve their problems so that they can begin to appreciate the 950 as much as I do mine.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Krell is coming out with a new "Showcase" pre-pro under $4000. It has everything you want and more. Maybe it's worth the extra dollars ? Of those you mentioned I would pick the Classe`. I have a B&K 3090 (almost identical to the Ref 30). It is excellent, but I feel that Classe` has a bit more finesse all around.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I wouldn't pass on the Anthem AVM-20 without giving it serious consideration. Check on the reviews of this unit at:

www.hometheaterhifi.com (go to master index, then click on surround processors)

http://www.hometheatersound.com/equi...them_avm20.htm

http://www.audioreview.com/A-V,Pream...1_2719crx.aspx

(where it has a near perfect score of 4.92 out 5.0 from 12 reviews)

And the May 2002 issue of "The Stereophile Guide to Home Theater"

It has recently been upgraded and it strikes me as an extremely good value at $3500 (or less).

Tom B.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Go with Ricky's idea for he is THE King of upgrades!! Look at his Profile in DigitalTheater.com!! A Used Adcom 750 Pre-amp and a used MC-1 could be had for 2700.00 or so total!! Best of both worlds! Look for a used Bryston SP-1 or Tag AV32R...both are around $3k used.

Mike

·
Banned
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael7272
Go with Ricky's idea for he is THE King of upgrades!! Look at his Profile in DigitalTheater.com!! A Used Adcom 750 Pre-amp and a used MC-1 could be had for 2700.00 or so total!! Best of both worlds! Look for a used Bryston SP-1 or Tag AV32R...both are around $3k used.

Mike
Michael, the MC-1 has nothing on the AVm20 in HT. I owned one. What makes you think an adcom 750 is on par or even better with the two channel performance of the Avm20? The Avm20 replaced a SS Coda 02b I was using which is far beyond anything adcom makes. The only two channel pre with HT passthrough I would take over the avm20 is the Krell KCT at 9k..lol

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Michael,

I found a local deal on an MC1 that I could not refuse :)

Tom,

I currently have an DC1, Rogue Magnum 66 Tube Preamp, and Parasound DAC1600 for redbook; not a bad combo that I paid $2500 for. If you want a loaded DC1 with V4.0, email me.

Shaun,

I think you'd be in the minority if you prefer the Anthem over the MC1 for surround sound, which is perfectly ok. I would take my tube preamp for 2 channel over any thing that processes dd/dts (haven't heard Meridian).

·
Banned
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

Shaun,

I think you'd be in the minority if you prefer the Anthem over the MC1 for surround sound, which is perfectly ok. I would take my tube preamp for 2 channel over any thing that processes dd/dts (haven't heard Meridian). [/b]
I dont think so , you should compare the two in your system which might lead you to a different conclusion. Thats why I sold mine months ago. Im not really a big fan of tubes I once was either, I got tired of coloration and non-dynamic bloated bass. Ill be selling an AudioResearch LS5B fully balanced with the MKIII upgrade if your interested for under 2k. The MKIII brings it to the level of the AR-LS22. Ill be keeping the Anthem for quite a while and maybe some day add the new Krell KCT with passthrough when i hit lotto. :)

regards

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Shaun,

Do you listen to 2.0 sources like DSS/Cable-TV in surround sound? If so, what Anthem mode are you using (you don't even have DPL2 yet)? Do you listen to 5.1 dd/dts DVDs in 5.1 or matrixed 7.1? Are you using 7 speakers?

·
Banned
143 Posts
Quote:
Shaun,

Do you listen to 2.0 sources like DSS/Cable-TV in surround sound? If so, what Anthem mode are you using (you don't even have DPL2 yet)? Do you listen to 5.1 dd/dts DVDs in 5.1 or matrixed 7.1? Are you using 7 speakers?

Yes , tos from the E86 to the Avm20.

whatever flags are being sent are picked up by the Anthem (DD5.1 DD2.0 etc)anything else is processed with Anthems Cinemalogic which will

be replaced with DPL2 when its available.

Ofcoarse, 5.1 DD Dts

No, five of my speakers is plenty for the room im using. Even though it supports 7.1 I wont go that route.

36XBR450, Hughs E86,AR-LS5B,Anthem AVM20, Krell MD10/SFD,Sony 9000es, Krell FBP300,Proceed HPA3, Dynaudio Contour 3.3, 1.1,CC, Rel stadium, Audioquest Lapis,Digital Pro, Caldera, Gibraltar throughout, Monster component & svideo M1000

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Shaun,

Nice system! I have always wanted to hear Dynaudio speakers.

In a 5.1 system, I wouldn't use an MC1 either. Logic7 really needs 7 properly placed speakers to make 2.0 sources sound like 5.1, and 5.1 sources sound better than discrete 6.1. With four discrete rears, Lexicon processors can produce a huge rear soundstage that others cannot equal.

·
Banned
143 Posts
Quote:
Shaun,

Nice system! I have always wanted to hear Dynaudio speakers.

In a 5.1 system, I wouldn't use an MC1 either. Logic7 really needs 7 properly placed speakers to make 2.0 sources sound like 5.1, and 5.1 sources sound better than discrete 6.1. With four discrete rears, Lexicon processors can produce a huge rear soundstage that others cannot equal.
Thanks Ricky, Ive been eating peanut butter & jelly for lunch for a long time now :)

there were other reasons for the avm as well, needed XLR connectivity, component switching, future multi/ch SACD, and above all something I could live with in two channel music.

regards

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
Ricky, Based on your enthusiastic recommendation of the Lexicon MC-1 and other recommendations I am buying a new MC-1 (B Stock. at a great deal. It should arrive today or tomorrow. Considered the Outlaw and Rotel. Was concerned about quality. Was about to buy the new upgraded Integra in the low 3K range but its lack of bass management below 80HZ became an issue. Also I will use processor for HT 99% of the time so I am not concerned about input issue for multi-channel SACD, etc. I don't think there is enough software to worry about it.

The Lexicon has flexible bass management and also Logic 7. I'm probably going to use the 40HZ crossover for all speakers. I think I made a good choice. I wish the Lexicon had balanced outputs as my Integra 7 channel amp has balanced inputs. I was surprised it didn't given that its list price was $6K.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.