AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DishUSA, AllSAT and SatelliteWholesalers all run the same price of $199 after Rebate To get this price, a New Subscriber must fullfill a 12 month contract of $39.99/mo or more. DishNetwork calls this rebate program FreeNow.

DBS-Sales has the best pricing so far coming in at $169 after Rebate. DBS-Sales has a website but it looks like you have to phone your order in.

Many people have voiced the premise that Sears will match pricing with vendors on the net. Just print out pages from the website that have product information and pricing so Sears can confirm the price.

Pricing below includes a breakdown of subscribtion fees. The total being MY cost of ownership after one year.

DBS-Sales

$0369 6023

$0432 Dish Contract AT100 (12MO)

$0240 Dish Contract HBOHD/SHOHD (12MO)

$1041 Sub-Total

$0199 FreeNow Rebate

$0842 Total

DishUSA

$0299 6022

$0100 18" Dish

$0240 Dish Contract HBO/SHO (12MO)

$1071 Sub-Total

$0199 FreeNow Rebate

$0872 Total

AllSAT

$0399 6023

$0240 Dish Contract HBOHD/SHOHD (12MO)

$1071 Sub-Total

$0199 FreeNow Rebate

$0872 Total

DishDepot

$0449 6023

$0240 Dish Contract HBO/SHO (12MO)

$1121 Sub-Total

$0199 FreeNow Rebate

$0922 Total

Edit: Dual rebate removed from DishDepot pricing. AllSAT & DBS-Sales added. Cost of ownership updated.

------------------

Steven Benson

Minnesota Home Theater User Group (MNHTUG)

[This message has been edited by bensons (edited 03-22-2001).]

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like DishUSA and AllSAT have equal pricing. If DishDepot will grant the $199 Rebate they have the better deal. If not, DishUSA or AllSAT will get my business.

Anyone else dealt with AllSAT?

I've seen DishDepot mentioned more than a few times. Most comments have been very positive. Haven't heard much about AllSAT.

------------------

Steven Benson

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mnhtug/messages

[This message has been edited by bensons (edited 03-17-2001).]

·
Registered
681 Posts
The rebate on DishUSA is the same FreeNow rebate as at Dish Depot, so it has the same conditions (12 month programming commitment, not 8 mos). You can remove the price for programming and the rebate from the comparison since they're the same in both cases. Dish Depot will throw in 2800 receiver for free, but your Dish USA package include a second SW21, which is worth about $20. So by my calculations, Dish USA is between $10 and $50 cheaper than Dish Depot, depending on how you value the 2800 receiver and the switch.

-Jonathan

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bensons:

DishDepot

$249 6023 (w/ FreeNow)

$432 Dish Contract AT100 (12MO)

$240 Dish Contract HBO/SHO (12MO)

$921 Sub-Total

$199 Dish Rebate

$722 Total
You don't get 2 rebates do you? (Free Now plus another $199???)

·
Registered
681 Posts
I went back and looked at dishdepot.com, and on the rebates page they state "offers may not be combined". So the information in my post above is wrong, you can't get the rebate and free second receiver. Dish USA seems to be quite a bit cheaper than dishdepot.com.

-Jonathan

·
Registered
31 Posts
I ordered from universal electronics www.dbs-sales.com for 368.98 + 24.95 shipping (less than $400 out the door) they also list you have 30 days to connect and offer the same $199 free now rebate offer if you sign up. this site also lists the rebate deal ends april 30th, where the others have not updated there sites yet. One problem, phones order only.

takes a long time (days) to get someone on the phone. hope the 6023t system shows up. was about to give up and go with dishusa or allsat when they finally answered.

------------------

rciegr

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DishUSA, AllSAT and SatelliteWholesalers offer discount pricing for 8mo contract to AT100. Which amounts to $35/mo?

FreeNOW appears to be an additional $199 rebate from Dish Network for 12mo contract of $39.99/mo or more.

DishUSA and AllSAT explicitely state the 6022 system will run $99 and the 6023 will run $199 after rebate.

Looks mighty good, is it too good to be true?

------------------

Steven Benson

[This message has been edited by bensons (edited 03-20-2001).]

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
15 Posts
Steven,

I bought my 6000/4900 system (two dishes and all switches) last August from AllSat, and I was very happy with their service (my salesman's name is Ben).

Last December, I called AllSat to purchase the 8VSB module for my 6000 - and again prompt service.

Good luck,

BryanP.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Jbenfield:

Amen brother! I was begining to think nobody else felt this way! With all the other options in receivers that directTV has, I am thinking seriously about dumping Dish.

·
Banned
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bensons:
RCI is right, it looks like Dish Network has extended their FreeNow Rebate to 4/30/01. This is good news.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/p...er/index.shtml

Funny thing is that it is not a rebate at all. It is simply a free 3822 or 3922 system or the equivalent of a $199.00 discount off of a higher priced system.

Example, customer wants a 4922 that retails for $299.00, under the Free Now promo they can get it for $99.00 ( $299.00 - $199.00 Free Now credit

= $99.00. Of coarse I am speaking of a retail store situation and pricing.

Now I know that some e-tailers are attempting to turn this into a rebate for customers, but that is not what it was designed for in the first place.

This is the reason Dish will be pulling the promo soon.

Frapp -

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
When I originally signed up for Dish Network I paid $69 for two receivers and installation. That was $199 off and free installation. When I upgraded to the 6000 and HD I got no second rebate. I don't know what all the fuss is about. I got the $199 rebate and free installation, I just didn't get it a second time when I upgraded to HD. I did have to pay an extra $85 to install the second dish but aside from that I paid the same as if I bought it all together and got their rebate. I now have three receivers that I use.

Rick

·
Registered
294 Posts
Am I missing something? Everything I keep seeing at all these sites is that existing customers pay close to full retail for the 6000 packages. No special deals, no discounted prices. All these e-tailers make it clear that the special pricing is for new customers. That IS what all the fuss is about!!!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Let me tell you my horror story in connection with Dish TV.

About two years ago I saw an ad in the newspaper for Dish TV for the Dish 500 system, called the toll free number and was given the name of the local Dish representative nearest me. I called him and had the system installed. He informed me, after he finished the installation, that he had installed a single mode dish (in other words, a Dish 300 system) because it was easier to align, but that nothing was on the second satellite but Spanish programming at present. He said that if/when something like local stations was added to the other satellite I could call him and he would switch out the dish. Well, you know what is coming! When channels were added to the second satellite, I called and the man no longer was in the business. I called Dish TV and they said "too bad, but we'll upgrade it for $100." After talking to several customer service people, it was evident that they would NOT assume any responsibility for the actions of the serviceman whom they had recommended. I DID pay the $100 for the upgrade. A few months later we bought the HD TV and wanted to receive Dish's HD programming. We then found out that we'd have to have ANOTHER upgrade by adding a second dish. But, it was even worse than that. No one who I called in the Houston area knew how to get, or install the Dish 6000 receiver. So, no one wanted to come install the second dish, because it would not work anyway without the 6000 receiver. Most dealers (there are now more dealer for Dish than 2 years ago) said they could not even get the model 6000. And, they also said, that if they were able to obtain one, they did not know how to get it to receive over-the-air broadcasts. They said that their understanding was that there were multiple standards for OTA broadcasts and they did not know which module to order to install into the 6000. Of course, since I've been a member of this site, I now know that there are only TWO standards and that only ONE is being used anywhere in the US.

Now, to the point, I had to give up on Dish and buy the DTC-100 which, as you know, comes almost plug-and-play (except for the digital adapter.) When I called to disconnect the Dish system, I explained why I had to do it, and they had no interest in my reasons. I asked if, in the future I decided to come back to Dish "Would I be able to take advantage of any promotions which were then being offered?" They said absolutely not! We will always have your customer information in our computers and will NOT allow you to take advantage of any future promotions. To me, that is a message "We could care less if you EVER come back to us."

With my current knowledge about the Dish system, I would be tempted to change back for the additional HD programming --- IF they would make ANY effort to give me any consideration for signing up with them. Unfortunately, it is obvious that they will NOT.

My impressions, since changing to satellite, is that they are not a bit better than the cable companies. They don't care about their customers at all.

·
Registered
294 Posts
"The 6000 box has one purpose and that's to show HDTV. This usually means you spent 3000+ on a HD ready set. This is not something that every Joe Sixpack is willing to do. So stop your whining, if you want to play you got to pay. This is the price you pay for being an early adopter."

Wow, sounds like the cable company!

Luckily, there are competing boxes out there to combat that kind of attitude. Hope that thinking is no too widespread at Dish...

·
Registered
893 Posts
Here is my little spill about Dish Network--

Called them directly to take advantage of free equipment (dish 500 with 2 receivers) and free install. I figured couldn't beat that with a stick. I ordered it for an inside install. Turned out it didn't work, so the installer left the equipment until I could get a ruling from the apt. people about a "common" ground install. While in that process, we found a house. I figured I was in great shape, already got the equipment. Since I was getting a house, this would allow me to up an antenna for locals and get the 6000 receiver as my 3rd receiver. I didn't mind paying full price for the 6000 since my install was still free, atleast the first dish and 2 receivers were.

Well, upon checking into things, I found out I had to have the sw64 switch to do 2 dishes and 3 receivers. Well, thats fine, except it doesn't work with the Twin lnb dish they sent to me. I went to the site, cause I knew when i ordered I never saw Twin listen anywhere, only dual, which is what I now needed. So I called dish to ask about switching out the dish and was I ever shocked to hear them say 199 bucks. I said you gotta be kidding, 199 bucks for equipment I just got free and for an older technology? They wouldn't budge. So I asked for return labels to be sent so I could return the equipment and go to Directv. They didn't even try to get me to stay.

That is terrible business..lets see, I was gonna subscribe to almost every channel and have 3 receivers, would have been about 100 bucks a month for 11 months. Thats 1100 dollars in lost revenue cause they wouldn't switch out a dish.

They could care less about their customers, eventhough they claim to. I mean they lost a customer before I even signed up for programming.

Just my story,

I'm now going with Directv and getting HDTV from them with the Hughes STB.

Neal

·
Registered
681 Posts
To compete with cable TV, Dish Network has to make the price of equipment and installation close to zero. Their cost of acquiring a new customer is around $400. Dish Network doesn't break even on a customer on average until they've been a subscriber for around 33 months (or so I've heard).

Dish Network management isn't stupid. I'm sure they have plenty of market research that shows them it's better to lose a few customers over the lack of price breaks on new equipment, than to offer price breaks to everyone. A customer that has so little loyalty that they will switch service providers because they aren't offered a financial incentive to stay is probably not very profitable, and it doesn't make a lot of sense to sell them equipment at a loss just to keep them for another year, when they will want another piece of equipment below cost. This kind of situation is common in many other types of services. For instance, Cingular Wireless only gives exisiting customers the same deal on a new phone as new subscribers if the existing subscribers commit to two more years of service. Of course, if you don't care about keeping the same phone number, you could just cancel and sign up again every year. Nobody in their right mind wants a customer that never turns into net positive cash flow.

A plan that offered equipement below cost to existing subscribers might make sense if it was accompanied by a two or more year commitment to programming. Would those who are complaining about the lack of discounts be willing to make a multi-year commitment to programming in exchange for a discount?

I don't know why this so hard for some to understand. This is just very basic services marketing. When I took Services Marketing in B-school a year and a half ago, the textbook we used was "Services Marketing" by Mary Jo Bitner and Valerie Zeithaml. Everything Dish Network is doing is explained in that text.

That's not to say they weren't stupid for not swapping out pgatour's twin LNB for a dual LNB. I imagine they couldn't do it because their system and CSRs probably don't have the flexibility. But even there, you have to weigh the costs of a more flexible system and better trained CSRs, versus ocassionally pissing off and driving a potentially very profitable customer.

-Jonathan

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
681 Posts
jbenfield,

I don't agree with your statement that once you choose a satellite provider you're locked into their service. Unless you've invested in an HDTV receiver, switching costs are zero after the first year. A new customer can get two standard receivers and a dish for free from Dish Network. You can get a two receiver and dish for free from DTV as well.

While no company should try to alienate customers, not every customer is worth retaining. If I was shopping for satellite service, and someone told me that "Dish Network sucks" because Dish wouldn't give them a free upgrade from their 4000 receiver, and they had to pay $199 for a new 4900 receiver, it's not going to color my impression of Dish.

You made an excellent point about upgrades though. I hadn't considered that once a customer buys an HD receiver, their switching costs increase - much more than the cost of a standard receiver. So while I remain unconvinced that discounted non-HD upgrades should be offered, it may make sense to offer existing customers a break on the 6000. If I didn't already have a 6000, I'd switch to DTV or cable in a second as soon as either of them offered more HD content than I'm receiving from Dish.

-Jonathan

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.