Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I'm just doing an informal survey of what the best price for the Panny 50LC13. I live in NYC and have found the best price to be around $2,400.

Thanks,

Jason

·
Registered
188 Posts
If you can get it for $2400, then go do it now!

The thread with all of the receipts about $2400 deals is pretty much dead.

Most of us can't get Sears/Tweeter/BB/CC to match them anymore.

About ~$2700 is as low as they will negotiate now. Others in some parts of the country may get lower, but for the 90% of us, I think the $2400 deal is long gone.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you can get $2400 I would grab it. I wasn't able to get anyone willing to PM a store in another state. CC did price match Tweeter's 10% off (10% plus 10% of the diference) so mine was about $2680. But after watching it for two days... I'm happy.

·
Registered
170 Posts
David:

Wait...you do not think that some of the prices being quoted here aren't cheap? The 50" Sammys seem to be going for around $3200 to $3500 these days...the 55" Philips LCoS sees to be in the $3500+ range....relative to THOSE prices, anyone who can score the Panasonic for $2400 or so seems to be doing relatively well, IMO.

Right?!?

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
Sorry, in a bad mood.

Yes, its cheap, relative to a DLP. I personally wouldn't take an LCD if it were given to me. If DLP were given to me, I would take. I would not take DLP if it was same price as CRT.

Horrible generalization: people are evaluating PQ by cost, and by in store PQ.

I'm sorry for ranting, there are good reasons to buy an LCD, but there is much mis-information here.

Basic statements like "DVI is ALWAYS better than Component, its DIGITAL", then quote a test that really is a test of the DLP display system, not the cable. At least they ran a test. (yes, DVI or DTV-Link into a DLP/LCD at native resolution is better, but not always better into a CRT. )

Even a major magazine quoted mis-information of DVI into a CRT. Magazine writer was duped by manufacturer, who set up DVI input artificially to make it look better. I did not know it for sure until I had same basic set at home and discovered what the manufacturer had done.

I come here for information, because can't go by PQ in store, and can't even trust magazine writers 100%.

I do think digital is better. I personally pour over engineering proceedings and industry papers tracking its development. I'm a geek, and I find it interesting, even exciting about how pictures will look in the future.

However, today, the picture is not there yet, yet manufacturer is charging more money for it. Hence my going goofy when I see thread on "hey, look at this great price" for something I personally wouldn't take if it were free.

Again, I'm really sorry for ranting. There are good reasons to buy it. However, I hope people make a real informed choice.

One reason I'm so sensitive is I may have mislead someone:

A short while ago, a newbie PMed me about my CRT set. I pulled no punches, told him of all the warts. Real information. No set is perfect yet. He then made an "informed" decision to buy LCD. For his particular situation, LCD may in fact be better. He lives in a cramped apartment, and needs to move set in future. A real need.

LCD may be for him, and it may be for you, just hope you are making a really informed choice. I bought my first set based on in store PQ, and kicked myself for the next three years.

Again, sorry for carrying on...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Dave:

I am making the best decision that I can, based on the information at my disposal. Despite the solid PQ, I am NOT going to spend over $1000 more for DLP - there are enough posts on this forum about problems with the set (rainbows and such) which, when combined with the problems that Samsung has had in providing inventory in the market, as well as the less-than-uniform track record once these machines get into peoples hands that I am NOT going to spend the extra money. Even IF I got a spot-on, perfectly tweaked machine, I would STILL rather take my ride on the technology price-cutting ride starting at $2300 than at $3300 to $3500. Others may feel differently about this, but I do not think that, looking at the WHOLE body of information, that I want to spend 35 to 50% MORE for DLP. Period.

The other technologies have their issues as well - plasma (cost, burn-in, etc...), LCoS (I'll wait until they get the single-chip solution ironed out, or the three-chip comes down in price), CRT projection (I certainly can't put THAT where my Sony Wega was), and so on. So, I've made my choice, and I'm happy with it. The picture - to ME - is GREAT, the form factor works, and I LOVE riding the "Moore's Law" price curve in this space from a MATERIALLY lower starting point that I would have with DLP or plasma.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.