AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniahead /forum/post/19632685

I am about to purchase a BGX-S12B In-Wall Sub. I'm looking for the a great pro amp. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

I doubt you'll need more than a Behringer ep2500/ep4000. About $300 new and you can usually find them used for even less.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I don't know much (anything) about the Behringer but a Crown K1 or K2 would be below your cost. They don't make them anymore so you'd have to go used. I use two of them. They only accept balanced inputs which might be an issue for some people?

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
I could say something like a QSC PL6.0 II, but it's silly to do that without knowing the power requirements of the system.

Also, it looks like the amp for those subs might have some special tuning functions. Something to review and consider, it would seem.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniahead /forum/post/19632685

I'm looking for the a great pro amp. .

Where subs are concerned a 'great' amp is of no real value, as most of what makes a great amp great is how well they work in the mids and highs. That's of no concern when all it's pushing is lows, and that's why dedicated sub amps are so inexpensive.
Quote:
I doubt you'll need more than a Behringer ep2500/ep4000. About $300 new and you can usually find them used for even less.

+1. It won't compete with a Bryston or Lab.gruppen driving Westlakes or Wilsons, but you're driving subs.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Are you getting the complete system that has the four separate units? If that's the case you'll need two two channel amps or a single four channel. It also looks like the factory amp is quite sophisticated and custom made to dovetail with the system. That will make it harder to integrate all four separate modules in terms of x-over, phase, eq etc. i'm sure some of the other gurus here who know a heck of a lot more than I do can chime in here.

·
Premium Member
25,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coytee /forum/post/19634415

I don't know much (anything) about the Behringer but a Crown K1 or K2 would be below your cost. They don't make them anymore so you'd have to go used. I use two of them. They only accept balanced inputs which might be an issue for some people?

I used a K1 unbalanced w/no problem; just used phone plug-RCA adapter from Radioshack.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts