AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm looking for a good solution to calibrate my front projectors;

I own a marquee 8500 and a couple of LCD's projectors, and I'd like to take readings off the screen: each projector is placed in different rooms, with different screen, so I think the best option would be to calibrate the image that bounces off the screen.

It seems to me that the best buy would be an i1 pro, but how do you guys use it ? in front of the lenses of the projector ? right before the image hit the screen ?

thanks,

ruva

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
nobody has front projector to calibrate ?

or everybody use the probes in front of the lens ?

up...

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
The best buys IMO are the i1 Display LT or the i1 Display 2 as has been mentioned many times on this forum. These are hardware-equivalent and only differ in the included software and enabled features which are not needed for calibrating projectors. These meters are reasonably accurate and will do a good job especially when facing the screen and not using the diffuser.

The i1 Pro is better in that it is more accurate, but it comes with some limitations that must be kept in mind. One is it must be recalibrated for black levels quite often (every 10-30 minutes) to keep it accurate. The other limitation is the lack of dynamic range. When facing the screen, this means it will be slow and probably inaccurate at the lowest luminance levels. When used facing the projector, it must be placed carefully to avoid overloading and possibly damaging the meter.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Citation4444,

thanks for the reply. I knew about i1 D2 and LT, and I read that they are accurate especially in RGB readings.

They both are colorimeters, but you tell me that they are good in reading images off the screen. Good, that is what I want;

I also need a good grey-scale calibration...is the i1-pro more accurate in this, even if it is slower ?

thanks,

ruva

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruva /forum/post/12976545

I also need a good grey-scale calibration...is the i1-pro more accurate in this, even if it is slower ?

thanks,

ruva

Yes, the i1Pro is more accurate assuming it is calibrated and kept within its range.

IMO, an excellent way to go for the advanced user, or maybe even for some pro's, is to get both an i1Pro and i1 Display LT. Then train the LT with the i1Pro for better accuracy. HCFR has this ability now and other software either have it or plan on having this capability. I haven't done this yet, but it seemingly can give you the best of both meters.

Bob

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bob,

is still strong against $....but i1 pro + LT would be too much for my pocket right now...

Which one would you suggest considering that I own colorfacts and I still love my marquee ??

thanks,

diego

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
ColorFacts doesn't support the D2/LT meter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruva /forum/post/12979047

is still strong against $....but i1 pro + LT would be too much for my pocket right now...

Which one would you suggest considering that I own colorfacts and I still love my marquee ??

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruva /forum/post/12979047

Bob,

thanks,

diego

Someone else would have to jump in here and help with this one. CRT's are quite a bit less bright than the other projectors that I've calibrated, and I'd be afraid the i1Pro would run into low light limitations when taking readings off the screen like you want to and lead to poor gray scale calibration on the low end. If I had to take measurements from the screen, I very well might recommend the display LT over the i1Pro, but I'm certainly not an expert in calibrating CRT's.

Bob

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tom,

colorfacts support eye-one display. And the i1 monitor, recognised as i1beamer. I assume (hope) that D2/LT will work with the same release...

Bob,

that's exactly my point ! I am willing to pay extra money for an i1 pro, if I am sure to read and calibrate below 30 IRE for CRT and LCD's....

So, best options would be:

- i1 pro + i1 D2 (reading off the screen)

- i1 pro (reading off the proj. - very sensitive to positioning)

- i1 D2 (reading off the screen)

ciao,

diego

·
Registered
159 Posts
I there. this seem like a good thread for my question :

Just got a Eye-one display 2 and I am wondering what is the best way to use on a front projector? pointing at the lens or at the screen? and at what range?

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
I was not speaking metaphorically. ColorFacts does NOT support the D2/LT. Period. The older i1 Display uses a different driver and it won't work with the D2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruva /forum/post/12986404

Tom,

colorfacts support eye-one display. And the i1 monitor, recognised as i1beamer. I assume (hope) that D2/LT will work with the same release...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts