AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for one that has coax digital audio output, plays MP3's, NO chroma bug, and has excellent picture quality. It will be used with a Mits 55805. I am currently using a Tosh SD5109 and have someone that wants to buy it so I need a replacement.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
raymar99, JVC huh? Is the chipset as good or better than the Sage? I really don't need a multi disc changer, do they have another model w/o multi disc? Aren't some people having problems with the JVC's as far as being noisy and slow disc changes on the multi disc? Deadly Shadow-Yep, it's gotta have coax for my B&K pre-pro, plus I'm partial to coax (much less jitter than Toslink imo). Why don't they just put both on EVERY piece of digital equipment and let the consumer decide. What's the scoop on the SD4700 with it's reported 540 lines of resolution? I can't remember if it plays MP3 files.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think the Toshiba SD4700 is a good choice. It meets all the criteria you mentioned and also adds a few: DVD-audio, CD-text display, good blacks. The RP56 has a edge on the de-interlacer but nothing else.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Pick up the Toshiba 3750 for under $200 and buy some DVD's with your savings. Great player over the last 3 weeks of use!

Petey

·
Registered
457 Posts
Basically all of the JVC models in the last year use the same video chipset. The 723/721 was the first of that line, and has proven to do a good job if the video flags are set correctly. (You can also override, if not). It also has the DTS, DD 5.1, and DVD-Audio decoder on board. Started out at $600 (when I bought it:( ), now about $340 (when I bought another:) ). No CD-R capability.

All of the follow-ups XVS-65, FA90, etc. have the same video electronics, but no Audio decoders. The transports have also changed to support CD-R and CD-R/W. The 65 is a single disc unit.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The JVC XV-FA90BK has DD 5.1 and DTS decoders on board, also has DVD-Audio and the best scaler around. The chip is a Micromedia and is better in some ways than the Sage, especially the scaling functions. I think the single disk model is the 80BK for black and 85GD for gold. These players will play just about anything that will fit into the transport drawer. (CD-R CD-RW, DVD-R, MP3, etc)

The picture is shaper and you have much more control of the picture functions than the Panasonic RP-91 or RP-56.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
raymar99, I went to the JVC website and was not able to locate the 80BK model. I really don't need the on board DD and DTS decoder, as I send everything to my B&K pre-pro via coax digital and let it do the decoding work. If anyone knows of a current JVC model that has the same drive unit and chipset as the JVC XV-FA90BK but w/o onboard DD and DTS decoding and w/o the cd multi disc changer but still retains DVD-A capability I'm all ears.

Thanks!

·
Registered
170 Posts
OK, the single disk JVC model numbers are XV-SA70BK for progressive scan with DVD-Audio but without the onboard decoders. If you want progressive scan but without the DVD-Audio and without the onboard decoders it is model number XV-SA60BK.

If you want a gold colored box instead of black change the 0 to a 5 and change the BK to GD as in 65GD or 75GD - same exact player just the box color is different.

Go to Crutchfield.com and search for JVC single disk progressive scan DVD players. They have a better description than the JVC site. Then look for the best price online. Be sure to check for coupons and maybe save $25 and/or free shipping. Always ask for a better price wherever you buy!

Good Luck.

·
Registered
292 Posts
My suggestion is that, whatever DVD player you choose, buy it from somewhere that you can return it easily if you are not satisfied. Reading the specs does not give the complete story as to how well a particular model will work with your equipment, not to mention personal preferences. With progressive scan players for example, in exchange for slightly better definition under ideal circumstances, you get a whole new set of picture artifacts that you never had before. So even after careful shopping, when you take your new player home, you still might not be happy.

This is only my humble opinion.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I said I would report back once I tried my JVC/Silver Serpent combo, it's been almost a month but the bottom line is, IT ROCKS! For the first time I was truly able to dial my picture in with my Avia disc. Absolutely no delay errors and I was finally able to get my color and tint adjusted just right on my Mits 55805. The picture is absolutely beautiful and I have not found any negative glitches with the unit. It has also played DTS CD's and MP3's without a hitch, it does everything I have asked for. I have not tried DVD audio yet (still waiting on my free discs). I would also personally like to thank raymar99 for his input on this DVD player. Now, again this is evaluating the JVC player WITH the BetterCables Silver Serpent component cables. The cables are truly top quality, and to spend more (which could easily be done) would be pointless imo. If your like me and looking for a progressive DVD player under $300 you cant go wrong with the JVC.

·
Registered
188 Posts
1BadBanshee,

How is the player's layer change compared to your 5109?? Did you try playing POTA & TPM on the player? Did you get audio drop out from POTA? Did the player display the "force" subtitle in TPM??

Joel

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
 http://www.avdeals.com/malata_dvd.htm

AVdeals.com, the best etailer out there, in my view, is back with the MALATA N996 and man oh man do I LOVE this player. If you want to have precise X-Y scaling and the ability to view ANY DVD from any country, this is the one to have.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I say go with the Panny RP56 and buy the $20 optical to coax converter at Parts Express

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
JoelO,

I have not tried POTA (It's on my Christmas list) so I'll let you know when I try it. As for layer changes, they appear to be less noticeable than my 5109. As others have mentioned there may be other capable players out there in the same price range, but as I stated, this combo has done everything well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by danyu
What about the Sony NS700P? Any thoughts on how this compares to the JVC and Toshibas?

thanks,

Dan
I bought the Sony NS700P and after being a Toshiba user for a few years, I took it back. The picture is very soft, even with the detail turned up as high as it could go. They claimed it made dvds look more film like. It just looked blurry and everything had a funky greenish tint to it. I thought my TV was going. I took it back and picked up the Toshiba 3750 and haven't looked back. It's a steal for what it's going for and did everything the Sony did and more.

I have a lot of Sony products, but that model isn't worth the money they want for it. The Toshiba is simply better.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.