AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've read and read some more. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Denon 1600 and I read that a JVC player that can be had for under a $100 has a picture quality that rivals the 1600. What gives, I'm confused now. When I watch DVDs it is mostly movies that I own or rent. I was going to buy the new sony mega changer until I read about the pq of the farudija (spelling) chip that is used in older players. What should someone like me be looking for in a dvd players pq? Please give some input.

Thanks, Wade

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
I tried the new JVC model XV-N50BK ($120) last month - it doesn't rival the Denon 1600. Its good for a $100 player, but don't kid yourself. If you care more about reading all types of discs (not just regular rental type movie DVDs) than the JVC is great because it supports home burned DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW or VCD/SVCD on CDR/RW. But if you just play regular DVD movies and audio CDs the Denon DVD-1600 is superior, it also supports the DVD-audio discs and can read VCD (not SVCD) and some types of DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW. But the de-interlacing electronics in the Denon (Faroudja) is top-rated, the JVC is inferior in that area. Bottom line if you can afford $300 go for the Denon DVD-1600, if you can't the JVC is probably as good or better than most in the $100 price range, but don't compare it with more expensive models!

Myself I tested several new models including the latest JVC, I like their interface I had an older JVC for the last 2+ years, also the new Panasonic S35, the new Mitsubishi 8040 (Faroudja-based), and the new Denon DVD-910 (Faroudja). I returned them all and got a used Panasonic XP30 on EBAY for $250 - its the best of all of them I tested. Its newer than the Denon DVD-1600 design and was able to read all types of DVDs (-R/-RW/+R/+RW) I have around plus both VCD and SVCD. It has the older good quality Faroudja and perfect flat frequency response and no color flicker bug that infests the latest Faroudja models I tried. The newer models from all companies have some nifty features like zoom and windowboxing of 4:3 material for 16:9 displays (the JVC has this and its excellent) I like but I gave it up for excellent quality of the XP30, which is similar internally to the Denon DVD-1600, but has a few extra setup features and more DVDRW/CDRW compatiblity which I liked.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.