Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang

I would appreciate any opinions on the latest and greatest projector for under $5000.00.

Thank you, Glenn

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
You have opened a mighty big can of worms to sort through. Start with ProjectorCentral.com. They are a commendable source.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Glenn, you'll never get any serious responses posting a generic question like that.

If you are seriously considering a sub $5000 pj, tell us your applications, budget (under $1500, $1500-$3000, over $3000?), viewing environment, etc.

Just to get you started, in the over $3000 range, NEC HT1000 and Infocus Screen Play 5700 seem to be two popular models.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wrote a post similar to this yesterday and I realize now that it was poorly written, so I thought I'd give it another go. ( I was in a rush!)

Anyway, I am a CRT owner and I don't really know all that much about the LCD/DLP units. I friend of mine would like to get a projector and I think that the size and set-up is attractive to him. The budget for this projector is about $5000.00 on the upper limit.

I have a couple of questions, first off, what is the difference between the LCD and DLP units? is there another technology one should consider?

It will be going into a room with total light control.

Any recommendations on a couple of the better units in this price range would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Glenn

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Read some of the threads here about the NEC HT1000. Even die-hard CRTers are praising it. I am quite happy with my $1000 Panny PT-L200U, but if you really want to spend upwards of $3K the HT1000 looks like a winner.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
I think one of the LCOS units might be within striking range of $5K. Above the budget but something to consider.

If the budget is near $5K you should try to see a Matterhorn based projector as well as the HT1000. InFocus 5700 seems to be well liked.

Upcoming LCD units should probably be evaluated over the current generation. The HS20 has MLA which should be a nice improvement. Note that the article does not discuss fpn in addition to screendoor. Searching for fpn should get you a hits on that topic.

Nigel

·
Registered
986 Posts
i would also consider some of the factory reconditioned units like the sharp 9000 or the maranatz 2, both units would have cost you 9grand last year and now you can pick up reconditioned units with factory warranties for a fraction of the cost.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all very much for the replies, great information!

I see that the NEC HT1000 came out about a year ago, funny no one seems to have caught up to it yet!

Glenn

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
There was very little movement in the under $5K DLP scene in 2003. I don't expect much change in 2004 either as the Matterhorns MSRPs are in the $5K range. They'll dip down into the $4K range which tends to still be too high for this forum to get much traction and discussion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.