AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Sony VPL-VW40 now and am happy with it, but I'm just curious what else is out there. My dedicated build room is going to be ready for the projector in about 3 weeks and I want to be prepared to get a better one if the image isn't bright enough, colorful enough etc.

So I've been reading through the forum and the saw a lot of people like the JVC's, Epsons and maybe the Sony VW60? What projectors do you recommend?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,006 Posts
In that price range check out the JVC RS20. Check with Jason at the AVS Store for pricing info. The RS20 is generally considered the best sub-$10K projector. I own the new Epson 6500UB, but I would gone with the RS20 if I would have been willing to spend twice as much as I did for the Epson.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much for the info. It seems the RS20 is a great choice - would it be a noticeable improvement over the vw40? And how is the placement flexibility of it compared with the sony? I have the mount set up for about 18 feet from the 119" screen and I see from the specs, that's almost at the max.

·
Banned
1,686 Posts
I would choose the Planar PD8150 over the RS20. Has an advanced light-path and quality optics. Planar makes displays for the medical, video, and other high-grade industries.

·
Banned
1,686 Posts
Any one of us will have a different opinion, and all we can really do is give you candidates. Study the technologies used, the companies' history of quality, and try to see their presentations for yourself.

Planar is a rarer brand so may be harder to audition, but I say they are technologically and visually superior.

·
Registered
12,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumstate /forum/post/15585220

Any one of us will have a different opinion, and all we can really do is give you candidates. Study the technologies used, the companies' history of quality, and try to see their presentations for yourself.

Planar is a rarer brand so may be harder to audition, but I say they are technologically and visually superior.

FWIW, I saw the Planar and JVC at CEDIA and though both looked very nice, I thought the JVC (RS20) had the more outstanding pic. But I imagine most of us would be happy with either.

·
Registered
186 Posts
May or may not be a installation issue but if you like 3d pop and dynamics please check out the IN83 by infocus. I brought home a Epson 1080, a RS1x and the IN83 and the Infocus stayed. Just depends what you like in the picture.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
"Pop" generally would be done best by DLP...generally. The RS20 would have the most comparable picture to your VW40 as a general look to it, but just much better. What could you expect out of an RS20:

Much better on/off and ANSI contrast.

Brighter

Vertical stretch for 2.35:1 setups

Better processing

Better CMS system (still not perfect, but better than the VW40)

These are where primarily the RS20 outperforms the VW40. I would encourage you to try and see one though to make sure there are enough improvements for your cost to upgrade (everyone has different expectations when paying to upgrade).

·
Banned
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnwalters /forum/post/15579099

I've got a Sony VPL-VW40 now and am happy with it, but I'm just curious what else is out there. My dedicated build room is going to be ready for the projector in about 3 weeks and I want to be prepared to get a better one if the image isn't bright enough, colorful enough etc.

So I've been reading through the forum and the saw a lot of people like the JVC's, Epsons and maybe the Sony VW60? What projectors do you recommend?

Thanks

Hi,

In that price range you will get Sony VPL-VW60. As you had used VW40,Vw60 is 1080p front end projector. and its in your budget.

There is another option for you but with litter higher price ir Epson ENSBLHD1080.

So bets of luck for your new projector.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks. I don't think there are retailers of the rs20 around me to try it out. I have a feeling if I saw them side by side I'd love the rs20, just not sure if the upgrade is worth it and what would I do with my vw40?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk /forum/post/15602629

"Pop" generally would be done best by DLP...generally. The RS20 would have the most comparable picture to your VW40 as a general look to it, but just much better. What could you expect out of an RS20:

Much better on/off and ANSI contrast.

Brighter

Vertical stretch for 2.35:1 setups

Better processing

Better CMS system (still not perfect, but better than the VW40)

These are where primarily the RS20 outperforms the VW40. I would encourage you to try and see one though to make sure there are enough improvements for your cost to upgrade (everyone has different expectations when paying to upgrade).

·
Registered
12,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnwalters /forum/post/15603458

Thanks. I don't think there are retailers of the rs20 around me to try it out. I have a feeling if I saw them side by side I'd love the rs20, just not sure if the upgrade is worth it and what would I do with my vw40?

Let's do it this way...what key things are you unhappy with on your VW40?

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Turk /forum/post/15603887

Let's do it this way...what key things are you unhappy with on your VW40?

I'm not unhappy with it. I just think the grass is always greener heh. My wife however sometimes says it "doesn't look bright". But I have it on low lamp, so maybe if I try on high she'll like it more. A local dealer around me actually has the Pioneer Kuro Projector (is this one any good?), which from what I understand is about the same as the RS20. I was going to go see that, but it's not on display he said..."I'd have to buy it"

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
If I were you, I'd put a new bulb in my PJ and go to high lamp mode. Sure saves $$ and improves your picture by the sound of it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts